Author Topic: 79 Canadian Mini  (Read 9573 times)

Online 94touring

Re: 79 Canadian Mini
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2022, 09:18:15 AM »
I like using the I think 10oz cups for interior and boot. Some knooks I just have to adjust the gun stream to flow like a fire hose however too. 

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »
What a great feeling to get the paint started!  Do you seam seal before or after the primer?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline skmini

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2022, 06:57:01 PM »
I ended up taking your and Dan's advice and seam sealing before the primer: the seam sealer I ended up with didn't have restrictions around self-etching primer and claimed to be able to be applied to bare metal.  Some of the other sealers I was looking at said they couldn't be applied under or over self-etching primer.  The primer I'm using is direct-to-metal (DTM) urethane high-build primer which is supposed to combine acid self-etch and high-build.

Offline skmini

« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2022, 09:13:56 PM »
Got the interior primered.  I think I have a better plan of attack after doing a few coats of primer.

I went to a few different local paint suppliers looking for GR-4 "Tweed Grey", but none of them were able to look up a formula based on that code or any of the others in the paint code spreadsheet.  The one shop actually phoned up PPG to see if they could do a cross-reference on the PPG/Ditzler code, but no luck.  autocolorlibrary doesn't ship to Canada, so I don't have anything that could be scanned for a match.

So then I got to thinking, I've never actually seen Tweed Grey outside of pictures on the internet.  I'm not matching any panels here, I'm repainting the car inside and out in a new color.  I just need a slightly blue-ish grey that will match the red interior I've got.  So, I got a spray-bomb made up in Toyota "Cement Grey" and sprayed a boot lid to see what it looks like.  They used this in a two-tone with a white roof on FJ Cruisers.  I've also seen a few Tacomas painted this color.  Besides being able to get any shop to mix me up this color, another advantage is being able easily get touch-up paint.  It's a metallic but the metallic is fairly subtle.

Online 94touring

« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2022, 09:24:55 PM »
Nice looking color actually.  I didn't know autocolorlibrary didn't ship to Canada.  They're so convenient for getting old paint mixed up.

Offline skmini

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »
Trying out some BMW Mini colours: "Pepper White", aka "Old English White" and "Moonwalk Grey".  Left grey is Toyota "Cement Grey", right grey is "Moonwalk Grey".  I think "Moonwalk Grey" works better with the white.

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2022, 09:29:28 PM »
Agreed,  the right one has more contrast.  Is the moonwalk a Toyota color also?  Hadnít heard of it, but they do have a grey called lunar rock, it leans into the greens for a grey color.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Offline skmini

« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2022, 12:18:01 AM »
Moonwalk is a BMW Mini colour.  I figured if you can order a new Mini in Moonwalk Grey with a Pepper White roof, they should work together.

Offline skmini

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2022, 10:00:31 PM »
Primer everywhere except firewall, boot, doors, bootlid and bonnet.   I did some primer sanding prior to do putting primer everywhere, and it does look good when wet.  Step by step...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal