79 Canadian Mini

Started by skmini, December 30, 2015, 12:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I like using the I think 10oz cups for interior and boot. Some knooks I just have to adjust the gun stream to flow like a fire hose however too. 

MiniDave

What a great feeling to get the paint started!  Do you seam seal before or after the primer?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

I ended up taking your and Dan's advice and seam sealing before the primer: the seam sealer I ended up with didn't have restrictions around self-etching primer and claimed to be able to be applied to bare metal.  Some of the other sealers I was looking at said they couldn't be applied under or over self-etching primer.  The primer I'm using is direct-to-metal (DTM) urethane high-build primer which is supposed to combine acid self-etch and high-build.

skmini

Got the interior primered.  I think I have a better plan of attack after doing a few coats of primer.

I went to a few different local paint suppliers looking for GR-4 "Tweed Grey", but none of them were able to look up a formula based on that code or any of the others in the paint code spreadsheet.  The one shop actually phoned up PPG to see if they could do a cross-reference on the PPG/Ditzler code, but no luck.  autocolorlibrary doesn't ship to Canada, so I don't have anything that could be scanned for a match.

So then I got to thinking, I've never actually seen Tweed Grey outside of pictures on the internet.  I'm not matching any panels here, I'm repainting the car inside and out in a new color.  I just need a slightly blue-ish grey that will match the red interior I've got.  So, I got a spray-bomb made up in Toyota "Cement Grey" and sprayed a boot lid to see what it looks like.  They used this in a two-tone with a white roof on FJ Cruisers.  I've also seen a few Tacomas painted this color.  Besides being able to get any shop to mix me up this color, another advantage is being able easily get touch-up paint.  It's a metallic but the metallic is fairly subtle.

94touring

Nice looking color actually.  I didn't know autocolorlibrary didn't ship to Canada.  They're so convenient for getting old paint mixed up.

skmini

Trying out some BMW Mini colours: "Pepper White", aka "Old English White" and "Moonwalk Grey".  Left grey is Toyota "Cement Grey", right grey is "Moonwalk Grey".  I think "Moonwalk Grey" works better with the white.

gr8kornholio

Agreed,  the right one has more contrast.  Is the moonwalk a Toyota color also?  Hadn't heard of it, but they do have a grey called lunar rock, it leans into the greens for a grey color.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

skmini

Moonwalk is a BMW Mini colour.  I figured if you can order a new Mini in Moonwalk Grey with a Pepper White roof, they should work together.

skmini

Primer everywhere except firewall, boot, doors, bootlid and bonnet.   I did some primer sanding prior to do putting primer everywhere, and it does look good when wet.  Step by step...

skmini

Sanding, sanding and more sanding (I'll be more careful with overspray next time) and the underside and inside is ready for painting.  Underside first.  I added a short piece of hose between the regulator and filter on the spray gun to make it easier to get into tight spaces.  The color looks a lot darker in the garage than it did in the sun, unless the spray can I had made up is a different color.  The ventilation in my temporary spray booth did a really good job of clearing the air of overspray.  A little bit of a sag in the clear coat on the rear valence, but I'm hoping it won't be all that noticeable once the car is right-side-up, bumper is mounted, etc.

MiniDave

Ooooohhhhh..........shiny!!!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

; 71.gif

I'm pretty happy with it, and excited to see initial success with the paint.  Looking at it again this morning, a few spots have a slight bit of orange peel, but many spots are pretty darn smooth.  If I can get the rest of the car to a similar finish, I'll be really happy.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in sunlight.

skmini

And now, the interior.  A bit more trouble with dust.  I blew out every nook and cranny a couple of times, tack rag, etc., but still managed to stir up a few more dust particles with the spray gun.  Also, a couple of runs in the clear coat that will be covered by upholstery/carpets/seats.  I'm hoping the exterior will be easier.

gr8kornholio

Dan had the same issue with mine cause I'm not covering the cross member.  I wanted the stripe of body color to break up the all black floor.

Colors looking good. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

skmini

Took the shell off the spit and started sanding the roof.  3 coats of primer, sanded through in a couple of high spots then another 3 coats of primer.  I've got one last guide coat/sanding to do at 800 grit and then I'll paint it.  I'm likely going overboard here, but I'd hate to rush things and regret it later.

94touring

You're better off sanding too much  77.gif

skmini

Roof painted.  Pretty happy with my bodywork and prep, there's only a slight wave in one corner that you can really only see in the florescent lights, although if you look carefully at the reflection of the filter on the front left of the roof you can see it.  Quite a few dust nibs that I'm hoping I'll be able to sand/buff out.  In hindsight, I think the dust was coming off me as I reached across the roof.  I should have been more meticulous in blowing the dust off me before painting.

94touring

Assuming the dust nibs aren't bad, those come right out and a certain amount are to be expected.  Especially in our makeshift paint boothes. If your clear layed down smooth and you have minimal orange peel I recommend 2000 then 3000 grit before buffing.

skmini

I'm pretty happy with how the clear smoothed out, there is very minimal orange peel.

skmini

After more priming and sanding, moving on to painting doors.  Getting closer to the end of painting, just the outside of the body, engine bay and boot plus all the hardware (hinges, etc.) to do.  One fruit fly managed to entomb itself in the clearcoat on the hood right next to the crease that runs down the middle of the hood.

94touring

Sucks about the bug. I keep a needle handy to fish out the occasional mishap like that while I'm spraying.  Looking really good though!

skmini

Even with the bug, I'm pretty happy with it.  I get a giddy smile on my face after finishing each panel.  Partly because I'm amazed it looks as good as it does, partly because of all the time I've spent getting to that point, and partly a sort of Dr. Frankenstein "It's alive!"

MiniDave

It looks fantastic - you should be very proud of your efforts!  77.gif

Once it's all painted, then the long task of putting everything back in it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Great progress. The paint looks good!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

skmini

After a week of sanding...