79 Canadian Mini

Started by skmini, December 30, 2015, 12:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

So the new door sill does not have the button unique to Canadian Minis that ties the door to the sill when closed.  I'm guessing that is an unobtainable part now?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

skmini

Quote from: BruceK on January 16, 2021, 10:39:50 PM
So the new door sill does not have the button unique to Canadian Minis that ties the door to the sill when closed.  I'm guessing that is an unobtainable part now?

Yes, although it was missing on the left side anyway.  Sometime before my wife bought the car, the driver's door was replaced with an earlier one that didn't have the matching receiver in the door (or the Canadian Mini door reinforcement) and the captive nut that the button screws into was filled with Bondo.

skmini

Got the left rear quarter panel welded on.  Mainly happy with the way it fits, although the way the rear valence, boot floor and quarter panel come together is not the neatest.  Once the seam trim and seam sealer is on, it should be fine.

Willie_B

skmini

Quote from: Willie_B on January 17, 2021, 08:38:38 PM
Very impressive work.

Thanks!  All the time spent looking at restoration threads here and on The Mini Forum has given me a good idea of how things fit together and the confidence to do it.

skmini

Met my match on the mk1 taillight adapter plates.  Hopefully I've learned lessons on the left side that will make the right side go a bit more smoothly.  I'll have to see how close I can get it with the hammer and dolly and then filler.  Kind of regretting not getting the full rear panel with the mk1 taillight pressing.

94touring

I would have welded that from the back just to not have to grind the welds down.  If you have to do the other side still it will save you some time.

skmini

Quote from: 94touring on January 20, 2021, 08:46:14 PM
I would have welded that from the back just to not have to grind the welds down.  If you have to do the other side still it will save you some time.

That's a good idea.  I haven't done the right side yet.  Need to let the experience percolate first.

skmini

Right side done.  I did weld it from the back, and then filled some pin holes from the front.  I also took my time, so there's not as much heat distortion.  Not perfect, but quite a bit better than the left side.

skmini

Onto the right side.  I welded a couple of guide pieces to my brace to help locate the A pillar.  Just like on the left side, the little brace between the parcel shelf and the inner fended was spot welded to the inner fender, but not to the parcel shelf.  The end of the parcel shelf wasn't spot welded to the dash rail either, so that end of things was likely a bit floppier than necessary.

BruceK

That side-by-side look at Mk I vs Mk II taillights is great.  Really shows how much better the Mk I one is IMO.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

skmini

Quote from: BruceK on January 25, 2021, 07:10:11 AM
That side-by-side look at Mk I vs Mk II taillights is great.  Really shows how much better the Mk I one is IMO.

I think so too.   ;D

MiniDave

Not sure I agree, I like the bigger lights......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on January 25, 2021, 10:45:53 AM
Not sure I agree, I like the bigger lights......

I am not against the early bigger MK II lights but I dislike the later ones with the reverse light built in.

cstudep

I like both, maybe he should have left it one of each  :D

skmini

Right side welded.  This side had some collision damage, and the quarter panel took a bit more persuasion to fit. 

MiniDave

To see the shell coming together like that HAS to make you feel good! Really making progress   77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

Thanks.  It is extremely satisfying, and there's usually a big smile on my face (except with the taillight adapter plates).  I regret not figuring out how to weld and do this kind of body work sooner.  Someone asked me if I've sat in it and made "vroom" noises yet.  Maybe when the front end panels are installed.   ;D

skmini

Scuttle welded in.  Also welded up some holes and a crack in the firewall.

I've had the fenders and front panel fitted/clamped a few times now.  As per the advice on the front panel fitting article, I made sure the scuttle/fender/hood fit was good before welding it.  The order of clamping that seems to work is fender to inner fender by the cross member support and scuttle, then bottom of A panel to fender, then top of A panel to fender, then fenders to front panel making sure the hood fits with OK gaps. Going in the opposite order doesn't work at all.

skmini

Spent some more time clamping, checking gaps, double checking and then welding everything.  There are still quite a few miscellaneous bits to weld like the seam welds at the rear closing panels, the reinforcements at the A-panel to fender, etc.  Rebuilding the doors is next.  The body hasn't been this complete for five years, and it hasn't been this solid in over 30.

Once I got myself cleaned up,  I poured some of the better stuff to celebrate.

94touring

skmini

Quote from: 94touring on February 08, 2021, 11:10:40 PM
Fantastic job  77.gif

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with the way the front end turned out.   71.gif

I welded in the little reinforcements between the A panel and fender.  I was surprised how much rigidity they add.

94touring

That's an often overlooked piece.

skmini

Started working on the right door, which is Canadian-specific.  The left door is from an older Mini, so doesn't have the Canadian-specifc crash bar and "button catcher".  Since the left door doesn't have these features, and the door step no longer has the button, I'm going to remove them.  The crash bar is heavy and makes getting the glass in and out a pain.  Interestingly, it looks like it's plug welded to the door frame, not spot welded.  The button catcher no one would ever see, but it seems like a dirt/moisture catcher.  I've already done some rust repair on the lower front corner, and I'm going to replace a bit more of the metal where the skin folds over.

The left door is in much worse shape rust wise.

skmini

Right door frame repaired and inside painted.  Now, working on getting it shimmed/fitted and then the skin.  How much does that crash bar weigh?  11 pounds.  How much does the frame weigh without it?  11 pounds.