Leaning to the left

Started by bahoffe, May 18, 2009, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahoffe

My left hand drive mini is leaning a over over the front left tire.  Not sure what is causing this.  I jacked up the car and tried to shake the tire left/right and up/down and there is very little play.  Hoping someone could give me an idea what would be causing this problem.

1971 Austin Mini Left hand drive

94touring

Sounds like a bad rubber cone.  It will give the car the appearance of being lowered, at least on the corner where the cone has failed. 

joltfreak

Quote from: 94touring on May 18, 2009, 08:50:07 PM
Sounds like a bad rubber cone.  It will give the car the appearance of being lowered, at least on the corner where the cone has failed. 
+1
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

mascher

If the cones have never been changed it is likely that the knuckle joint has worn through the nylon cup in the upper arm. In my experience the cones in pre-'74 Minis rarely collapse. The only significance to 1974 is that I'm the attendant to a '73 Mini and all the rest are much earlier models. The mid-to-late '80s and later cones, and the current OEM cones collapse if you look at them wrong.

Cheers,

Kelley

bahoffe

I just got my new cones and will be replacing them this week.  Do you have instructions on how to do this?
I referred to the Hayes maintenance manual but there isn't much information.

Brian

94touring

I've personally never had to replace cones, but I believe there is a special tool?

bahoffe

I have the tool but from what I can tell they are hard to get to.  Heading to the garage now.  Let you know how it goes.

Later,
B

bahoffe

Another trip to the store is in order.  Need a ball joint seperator or whatever the hell that tool is called.  haha

94touring

I hate seperating balls joints!  They are either really easy or impossibly hard.