Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on April 28, 2022, 08:47:09 PM
Encouraging........................ 77.gif

Yes it is and looking at it I believe it was only a 20 footer I see a body restoration in its future, the one you guys have looks far superior and correct imo.

Jimini II

I agree BaT is not clued up on Mini automatics.
The owner of the green automatic Mini said the bid of $15,600 was close to the reserve price, if it was my auction I would be contacting the last bidder and get it sold.
I have watched some auctions and when they are close BaT has kicked in some money to make the sale happen.

94touring

I washed ours yesterday. 

MiniDave

I'm going to run down there in a couple of weeks when Dan gets home from galavanting all over the planet and bring it back to my place to finish the electrical and tidy up a few things, then it will be time to put a few miles on it!

Dan and I have both done a good job with the work we've done on it, it's a really nice car now.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The ex Catalina island Moke previously sold for $35k in 2016 and is no reserve now after spending $7k plus on repairs.
If you look at the pictures it has some interesting features, turn signal switch location on the pedal box, manual wipers, and handbrake guides located on the bottom of the subframe.
The pick up I know the last two Florida owners and it has been taken care of, the 1275 in it runs super strong and never misses a beat, it should do well on BaT.

MiniDave

Yeah, I'm interested to see what the Pup does.....it's different enough that it may go bonkers. I expect the Moke to easily beat its last sale price, but it's interesting that it's no reserve.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The moke went for 42,500. Whew.

Jimini II

Is $27,250 bonkers enough Dave?
A few of us Mini owners were having a beer and watching the auction with the owner, needless to say he was more than happy with the outcome its new home will be in Massachusetts.
I see Dan (94 touring) made a couple of bids on it, time to dust the cobwebs off my 62 pick up.

94touring

I did.  It was a nice truck, but too rich for my blood.  I was expecting low 20s.

Jimini II

The MK I Cooper S sold for a hefty $45,250.
It is a decent car but the bright white respray did not look right imo.

MiniDave

So, a "1970" Mini was listed on BaT this morning, even someone who isn't really into Minis could see it was a later model car than purported to be, with fuel injection and air bags! The seller tried to say it was a "restomod" but that only got him in deeper. BaT has already pulled the auction......

It looked to me like a really nice 2000 Mini.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on June 10, 2022, 12:09:23 PM
So, a "1970" Mini was listed on BaT this morning, even someone who isn't really into Minis could see it was a later model car than purported to be, with fuel injection and air bags! The seller tried to say it was a "restomod" but that only got him in deeper. BaT has already pulled the auction......

It looked to me like a really nice 2000 Mini.....

It was a little entertaining, but the seller really did not know what he was trying to sell.  You can see that it sold for $45K in 2016 if you google the VIN, that listing claimed it was a resto mod as well.  In the UK a perfect version will only sell for 25K GBP.

joakwin

Being a vin swap, it won't sell for no 25k in the uk

It's kind of messed up that the owner didn't know, but at the same time
When the f did they have air bags in the steering wheels on cars in 1970

I'm sure the owner kind of knew but turned a eye to the fact that it has
An air bag in the steering wheel

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

Yeah, some people got caught up in the bidding at the auction and now someone will lose his shorts on it unless the seller can find another clueless Texas buyer.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

The dumbest thing they did was include the Heritage certificate in the photos.  I am not sure how they will shift it, as I think it is a 2000 car so a few years away from being legal.

BruceK

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on June 13, 2022, 07:13:14 AM
The dumbest thing they did was include the Heritage certificate in the photos.  I am not sure how they will shift it, as I think it is a 2000 car so a few years away from being legal.

It will be "legal" in year only.  There is no valid documentation to support, and no clear way to "come clean" and say, "Well, this vehicle was illegally imported and then it was registered under fraudulent means, but now we wanna fly right and register it as a year 2000.  I'm sure that's fine with you, Mrs. DMV clerk.  Just take my word for things. Oh, and be a dear, please don't alert the authorities."   

Good luck with that.  And in 3 years when ALL classic Minis will be legal for import, who's going to want to deal with one of these cars with more than questionable provenance? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

All good points.

Counterpoint, our Inno was registered as a 1980, Dan was successful in getting it registered in its proper year, 1973.....

I agree that those with questionable reg date info will be harder to shift, if at all - but the scarcity of good classic Minis might make a casual buyer less than concerned, especially in states that don't have stringent inspection procedures.

I think the guy with the 2000 registered as a 1970 is boned tho.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Let me now contradict myself.  If someone was "stuck" with that model year 2000 Mini, and it was 2025 or later (meaning past the 25 year mark), AND if the original VIN - the hidden VIN - was still present on the car, a person could then use the original VIN number, have a Rover plate made up, and petition the DMV to issue a bonded title - in absence of an existing title  - to claim ownership and register the car.  After so many years, I believe 5 years, the bonded title could be then transformed into a regular title. I'm sure there are many ethical and legal problems in doing this, but it's likely possible.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think you can run it thru Vermont and get a title the same way, without the bond....proper vin, new vin plate etc.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 29, 2021, 04:09:52 PM
Quote from: BruceK on December 21, 2021, 07:17:29 PM
That low-mileage Mini Cooper from the UK sold for $20,000.   That's a lot, but is was an unusually nice 1990s car.

Here's another one.  This one is Italian-sourced and for some strange reason it's on Vermont license plates while it has lived in California for years.  Gee.   Wonder why?  ;D   Owned by a dealer, I expect the typical gloss over of any criticism that pops up.

Oh, and there's documentation showing someone spent a shitload of money on this which of course will never be fully reflected in the bids.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mini-cooper-s/

HOLY CRAP!  This car sold for $35,000.   :-[  WTF!?   I know we're in a period of very high inflation, but that's Mk I Cooper S territory last time I looked.

And it's back on BaT again!  Wonder if the guy who overpaid for it found out making it California CARB compliant costs a lot more than he thought.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

That guy took a real hit on the car, he paid $35K and it sold for $21,250......$15,600 loss in 6 months by the time he paid buyers and sellers fees. Whew, he got a real haircut on this deal....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah I agree. More of a market correction. $35,000 was really unusual for a late model Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S