OMG that's a lot of money for that car!!!!!!!!!!!   :-\
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Quote from: MiniDave on December 29, 2021, 04:47:56 PM
OMG that's a lot of money for that car!!!!!!!!!!!   :-\

I'm thinking that is one of those auctions a guy wins where he sits back after it's all done and realizes he may have gotten a little caught up in the bidding war.

That's also where the guy who came in 2nd realizes he also got caught up in things but is grateful someone else got the final bid LOL.

Having frequented many auctions over the years, I have been in both of those situations before, but not for anything anywhere near the price of this!

Jimini II

Crazy money but all it takes is two bidders with excess cash and maybe egos to match.
I posted I am guessing that price was reached due to the money spent on it which was $30k plus, LHD with the servo assisted brakes helps too.
The thing I have noticed about selling cars over the years is that a nice clean interior really helps, this Mini had a Newton interior black seats with red piping and red carpet which imo looked great especially on a black car.
In answer to someone posting this must be the most money ever paid for a 90's Mini someone else posted no it wasn't as one sold at Silverstone for $49k wow !!!!!

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 25, 2021, 10:21:14 AM
A Mini 850 that still has an 850 (and drum brakes) is now on BaT.

Whadda think it will go for?  North or south of $10K?   My guess is about $8K to $9K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-austin-mini-5/

CRAZY.    This rather plain Mini 850 with drum brakes sold for $16,500!      :-\

This is the 2nd Mini in a row on BaT that has basically sold for about twice what it would have gone for just a year ago.  So, two flukes? Or a massive change in the Mini market?

What do you guys think?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It's not just Minis on BaT either.....I'm wondering when the bubble is going to burst.

I see all kinds of late 80's early 90's run of the mill Minis for sale for $20K or more on all different platforms.....FB ads, ads on TMF and several other places. They're all nuts....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

IMO the negatives far outweighed the positives on this car, very surprised as I am sure the owner was about the price it reached.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on December 29, 2021, 04:03:31 PM
Another JDM Mini is now on BaT.  I like the gray color it's a nice change from what we normally see on Minis.  And the Mk I treatment looks well done.  The air conditioning does not work (shocking, I know!).  And there are some rust issues too, again shocking. My guess is this car may go for the mid-teens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-rover-mini-cooper-s/

No reserve and sold for $18,500, the market is still high right now
It went a little higher than I thought it would with the issues it had, coincidentally the seller thought it should have done better.

BruceK

A Mini estate just popped up on BaT.   I'm sure Craig will be following the results of this auction!   ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-mini-countryman-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tmsmini

Quote from: BruceK on January 11, 2022, 03:19:20 PM
A Mini estate just popped up on BaT.   I'm sure Craig will be following the results of this auction!   ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-mini-countryman-2/

Not alot of people are fully aware of this:
A factory export spec Countryman with the rare solid red instead of red/amber rear lights.

Used to be able to tell the imports from the originals this way.
We will be watching too

tmsmini

MiniDave

Love the backwards door handles.....aerodynamic!

Austin America engine/trans etc too, not "original 850" as the seller says.

Clearly the seller does not know what he has - and $26K? Really?   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: tmsmini on January 11, 2022, 07:47:10 PM

Not alot of people are fully aware of this:
A factory export spec Countryman with the rare solid red instead of red/amber rear lights.

Used to be able to tell the imports from the originals this way.
We will be watching too

It was quite common back in the 1970s when the independent Mini parts suppliers started popping up in the US (Mini City, Seven Enterprises, and later on, Mini Mania and others) to purchase the English amber taillight lenses to make your Mini more "authentic" and just ditch the boring red ones.  Same for the amber front turn signal beehive lenses instead of the US market clear ones.  Basically, new sources materialized for the cool stuff that a MG/Triumph dealer (who still supported most Mini parts needs) couldn't provide.

So a Mini with amber lenses does not always mean a personal import, because you know, the art of the personalization of a Mini! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

The white Countryman on BaT shows really well and should fetch some decent money.

BruceK

The white Countryman with the 998 sold for $29k.  What do you guys think of that result? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

A very nice example that has been kept mostly stock and not an old welded up ex rust bucket.
The $29k price is imo high I think around $20k would have been a decent buy for the new owner.
Kudos to the seller he has sold it at the right time as Mini prices along with other classics are crazy right now.
Now in the future will we think $29k was a bargain for that Mini, who knows time will tell.
I do know one thing I learnt many years ago from a guy in the wholesale car business, he said you can't pay enough for a nice car, someone will always pay you profit.

BruceK

BaT is now offering a Mini that's a little bit different: this one has lived its life in the dry climate of Spain so it should be free of rust. And it comes with "free" shipping to the US.

I'm guessing it will go in the upper teens - maybe higher - if the shipping situation doesn't scare potential buyers off.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-rover-mini-cooper-1-3i/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I was surprised to see a 91 with SPi, I didn't think that came out till later?

If it only goes for high teens it's a great buy for a car like you said - rust free - and that doesn't just mean they're not charging for it!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes SPI's are all over the shop, on the other side of the spectrum I have seen a 94 with a carb.
I guess it just depends when they were first registered as that is the way the UK registers vehicles.

This Mini on BaT should do well and i believe it would do a lot better if it was in the US already.

BruceK

An retro-Mk I JDM Mini is now on BaT.   Looks something like Michael's new Mini, but this one has a 998 and may have drum brakes.   To me, the paint seems lighter than Almond Green.

My guess is the Mk I charm will overpower the possible disappointment in a 998 instead of a 1275 and it will be bid into the mid-teens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-rover-mini-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 22, 2022, 06:26:21 PM
BaT is now offering a Mini that's a little bit different: this one has lived its life in the dry climate of Spain so it should be free of rust. And it comes with "free" shipping to the US.

I'm guessing it will go in the upper teens - maybe higher - if the shipping situation doesn't scare potential buyers off.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-rover-mini-cooper-1-3i/

Just sold for $21K.   So the import process didn't seem to scare everyone off.  A good price for a later model Cooper from a dry climate IMO.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on January 29, 2022, 04:30:01 PM
An retro-Mk I JDM Mini is now on BaT.   Looks something like Michael's new Mini, but this one has a 998 and may have drum brakes.   To me, the paint seems lighter than Almond Green.

My guess is the Mk I charm will overpower the possible disappointment in a 998 instead of a 1275 and it will be bid into the mid-teens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-rover-mini-5/

I have not looked at the underneath photos but all Minis had disc brakes after 1984, as its running 10's I would think they are converted to 7.5's.
Nice Mini but the interior is red ? and the aftermarket seats look worn.

Edit: I stand  corrected. There is a lot of talk about it indeed having drum brakes fitted but no photos to confirm, I am not sure why anyone would swap to drums from discs but maybe its a misprint.

Jimini II

I was wondering if it was going to get sold, it stalled in the $12's for a few days and there did not seem to be much action until the last hour which is pretty much the norm.
A nice clean Mini with shipping included so only around $500 to hire a broker and clear customs, someone is going to be happy Mini owner.

cstudep

Hey now what's wrong with red interior?  ;D

Not my first choice probably but its what was in mine when I bought it and I have gotten used to it I guess. I think it looks ok, depending on exterior color of course.

MiniDave

I wonder if people will look past the 998, rust holes in the floor, drum brakes and the terrible front seats and just get sucked in by the Mk1 looks and the colors?

It's a very appealing looking car at first glance, and someone who only intends to drive it to car shows won't really care about that stuff.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Whee

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-leyland-mini-clubman-australian-make/

This was built by the same person who did my Aussie Cooper S. I think he did this one, and then my car.