Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vizcat

Quote from: MiniDave on November 16, 2021, 10:09:51 AM
One of the brake rotors is badly scored, either it's down to the metal on the pad or they stuck in a new set and didn't bother to machine the rotor......any way you cut it it will need brake work too.

The best thing I can say about it is that it doesn't seem rusted, and the body looks original, but the resell red respray didn't do it any favors, with over spray everywhere and lots of Edd China's satin black on everything else. This is definitely a "spritz and flip" car.

Resell Red is right! I had to adjust the saturation of red on my monitor so that I could try and look at the paintwork without going blind.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

That S race car with the funky vin number looks very well built and prepared.

BruceK

A Cooper S from Oz is now on BaT.   I'm not familiar with all of the unique features of the Australian Minis, I'm sure someone will chime in with comments if things aren't right. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-morris-australian-built-cooper-s/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, thanks to exposure to Mark's Saucy Aussie there were a couple of things I thought looked wrong - there are no hoses going from the rear fittings to the hydro units to charge them, and it looks like it might have coil springs instead  - but it's hard to tell from these pics.

Also, it doesn't seem to have the depressions where the wiper arm holes are in the scuttle.

Mark will have to chime in on the door handles too....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The rears are definitely coil springs. 

I would think the fronts are effectively "rigid" since they are not interconnected and the fluid has nowhere to move.

There is also almost no space between the rear coils while the car is in the air for the pictures.  I would think it almost certainly encounters coil binding while being driven.

MiniDave

Fronts are the same as the rears....there are no hoses going to either, in the rear you can see the fittings to charge the system but there aren't any hoses attached to the fittings, like they've been cut off.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

You are right, the fronts appear to also be coils.

I was mislead by the hoses running from the breathers to the fenders and the light greenish tubes/pipes under the car running from the fittings at the rear to the front of the car.

Those hoses from the engine breathers should be going to a "gulp valve" and on to the carbs.  Instead, they appear to be going to the fenders for atmosphere venting?

MiniDave

Yep, looks that way to me, tho I don't remember Minis of this era having the gulp valves, only Sprites and Midgets - and only from 68 on.....but I could be wrong.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

My first Mini, a 66 S had the gulp valve.
The car was delivered in California if that makes a difference.
When I got it in 72, I had to have it smog checked which basically meant removing the valve cover cap and see if the idle went up(maybe down?)

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on November 15, 2021, 04:48:31 PM
New Mini on BaT.  A JDM one that's missing bumpers and has a roofrack and a 998.  Can't see this one going too high.  Maybe $10k - $11K?

Edit: the import paperwork shows the purchase price was under $2800 (!).  So either the buyer got a real bargain, or maybe the importer lied to the feds and falsified the customs paperwork.   In either case, some mental gymnastics are needed to justify a 300% or more increase over that for bidding.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-cooper-3

You were right on your estimate - $10900

BruceK

Lucky guess! 

Here's another JDM Mini just listed on BaT.   I've never heard of anyone calling it a "four-speed" model. Thanks

How is it this highly non-original car (which is frankly not that impressive) was acceptable for BaT and Michael's car was not? 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-rover-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

It does have a Cooper badge and LED headlights.

gr8kornholio

Yes, it appears to have always been missing the wiper indentations from the resto photos.  Other is is the under body tray is missing. 

The 65-68 Aussie floors are unique. Found that out when dan was trying to line up a patch and nothing seemed to line up. 

Now the boot lid indentation is correct along with the door handles and the two holes in the drip rail at all 4 sides.

So maybe a previous owner didn't bother to source patch parts from oz and just put the uk ones on.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on November 22, 2021, 04:48:38 PM

Here's another JDM Mini just listed on BaT.   I've never heard of anyone calling it a "four-speed" model. Thanks

How is it this highly non-original car (which is frankly not that impressive) was acceptable for BaT and Michael's car was not? 

Steveston Motor are good guys, if that's their car - they do some really terrific Mini work up there in Canukistan.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

What are your thoughts on the Aussie S non vented sills?
Are they original or of course may have been replaced but I see a patch on the one side.
Just for the fact that an Aussie S has roll up and vent windows it would be my choice over a Brit S.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on November 22, 2021, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: BruceK on November 22, 2021, 04:48:38 PM

Steveston Motor are good guys, if that's their car - they do some really terrific Mini work up there in Canukistan.....

Looking at the video in the listing for brakes they used 7.5" S brakes with a clutch master that comes with a .75 bore, no proportioning valve, 1/2" wheel cylinders and Mintex shoes and pads.
A weird combination but he says it works well but I think I would prefer a dual split system from a safety aspect.

BruceK

And... yet another Mini has popped up on BaT.   It's a Clublman with the boring combo of a 998 and a slushbox.

Got a feeling someone's gonna buy it for a VTEC swap.  Then again, with the auto it's the perfect car for a non-Mini person to get a Mini.  But the Clubman front end hurts the cute factor.

My guess is that it will be bid to around $10K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-austin-mini-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The color and RHD aren't doing it any favors either, I'll be surprised if it goes over $8K, but Bruce seems to have the vision on these prices!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

A lot of these earlier automatics seem to have been owned by older people and have been used sparingly with low miles.
The top side of this car looks a lot better than the peeling paint on the bottom of the car but it does not look like a rust bucket.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on November 10, 2021, 04:40:14 PM
A Moke from Oz is on BaT.   Wonder how it will do compared to an English one?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-leyland-moke-californian/

Blue Aussie Moke sold for $18k.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 21, 2021, 08:25:29 PM
A Cooper S from Oz is now on BaT.   I'm not familiar with all of the unique features of the Australian Minis, I'm sure someone will chime in with comments if things aren't right. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-morris-australian-built-cooper-s/

Sold for $37,250. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on November 29, 2021, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: BruceK on November 29, 2021, 06:59:07 PM
Sold for $37,250.

Looks like it was RNM at 37,250.

Thanks for the correction. I wonder what the reserve was?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S