Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on February 27, 2020, 12:54:29 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on February 27, 2020, 10:41:34 AM

What the heck is that big plug on the front for? The rallye lights? I sure would have done that differently......

That plug was a feature on a few of the BMC works rally cars.  I think the idea was for a quick change of a whole lighting assembly.   Plug and play!

I think it was also used so the lights could be removed out of the way with the one connector easily and fast so they could work on them.

BruceK

Another Mini on BaT.    This Mini has been with the same owner since 1977, and he took it off the road in 1978.  In the ensuing 43 years he never got around to actually getting it road-worthy.  Talk about procrastination!  So it is a project waiting for a new owner.

Being a 1071 Cooper S, it has rarity going for it.  And BaT has convinced the seller to go NO RESERVE.   But in true BaT fashion, the trailer shown below is not included in the sale so it will be necessary for the auction winner to... ____________ a ___________________!

My wild ass guess is this collection of parts will go for the low teens.  But who knows?  Even though it is a Cooper S, there is so much work involved in  actually assembling everything into a running car. And I think that is gonna hurt the bids.  People want to go driving!   

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on February 27, 2020, 07:14:17 AM
It looks confused.  Rally car?  Family vacation traveler?  Fender mirrors?

Fender mirrors were a Mini "thing" back in the 1960s - my Morris Mini Traveller had them when I pulled it out of a barn in the late 1980s.  Of course I got rid of 'em when I re-did the car because unless you are going all 1970s on some flashy JDM models, they just don't look right, do they?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

And that collection of parts already had a higher bid than a fully sorted complete and driving little red wagon...what the heck?

The little wagon has since surged ahead but....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on February 27, 2020, 07:38:12 PM
Another Mini on BaT.    This Mini has been with the same owner since 1977, and he took it off the road in 1978.  In the ensuing 43 years he never got around to actually getting it road-worthy.  Talk about procrastination!  So it is a project waiting for a new owner.

Being a 1071 Cooper S, it has rarity going for it.  And BaT has convinced the seller to go NO RESERVE.   But in true BaT fashion, the trailer shown below is not included in the sale so it will be necessary for the auction winner to... ____________ a ___________________!

My wild ass guess is this collection of parts will go for the low teens.  But who knows?  Even though it is a Cooper S, there is so much work involved in  actually assembling everything into a running car. And I think that is gonna hurt the bids.  People want to go driving!

This 1071 S is worth more in the UK than here and I would not be surprised if it ended up there.

The "work" that has been done is to a very low standard and imo it needs to be re done with the correct parts.
If anyone wants to know why over sills are a nightmare just look at the ones on this Mini covering all the old rust up.

That being said there does not seem to be too much other rust on the car but it needs to be stripped to bare metal and then the horrors may reveal themselves.

I am thinking mid teens maybe a little more.

Jimini II

Quote from: Whee on February 27, 2020, 08:23:05 PM
Quote from: BruceK on February 27, 2020, 07:52:17 PM

Fender mirrors were a Mini "thing" back in the 1960s - my Morris Mini Traveller had them when I pulled it out of a barn in the late 1980s.  Of course I got rid of 'em when I re-did the car because unless you are going all 1970s on some flashy JDM models, they just don't look right, do they?

I don't like the look, but I do find them very usable. You don't need to turn your head to use the wing mirrors.

If I drive a Mini with wing mirrors I install a clip on wide angle curved interior mirror and an over taker mirror that clips onto the a panel/wing seam at head height then I feel comfortable.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

That's how my wife drives lol.

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on February 27, 2020, 08:23:05 PM
Quote from: BruceK on February 27, 2020, 07:52:17 PM

I don't like the look, but I do find them very usable. You don't need to turn your head to use the wing mirrors.

Fender mirrors were such a 'thing' in the UK that many, many decades after they long disappeared on all new cars, the Brits still refer to all side mirrors as "wing mirrors" even though they are nowhere near the front wings now.     That's lasting power!   ;D

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Interesting I always thought it was a jdm thing.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on February 29, 2020, 08:45:24 PM
Interesting I always thought it was a jdm thing.

I think the JDM fender mirrors were due to local legislation there and mostly just during the 1970s. 

Edit: more than you ever want to know: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/11/18/reference/fender-mirrors/#.Xlvpv8BMGEc
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on February 26, 2020, 11:28:36 PM
A woody is on offer over at BaT.   It's been given a 'rally-inspired' treatment and looks to be in pretty good shape.  I'm not a fan of the rally stuff, but somebody spent some time outfitting the car in that direction.

My guess, barring any controversy, is this puppy will be bid up to the high teens.  But who knows? Not everyone who wants a Mini is looking for an estate version, so it could suffer from that. 

What do you guys think?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-morris-mini-traveller-1275/

You were close the Traveller did $18250 with RNM.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on February 27, 2020, 07:38:12 PM

Sold for $13,500.

Currently on BaT for sale a 1969 MKII Cooper S in Canada, lots of rust and neglect but all there including the hydrolastic suspension, twin HS 4's and even the brake servo.

BruceK

Cool. Two on-target estimates this week.  Time for me to buy a lottery ticket.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Yes you are on a roll lol.

BruceK

There's another Mini Cooper S project car on BaT.  This one is a Mk. II and it has some battles going on with the tin worm, and it is losing. 

No Heritage Certificate because the seller thought nobody would want to see a certificate that has his name on it.  50.gif   D'oh!

Unlike the project Cooper from last week, this one is a running, assembled car that now needs to be disassembled and put right.  ;D     

There could be some overseas interest, but my wild guess is bidding on this could go over $20K, especially if somebody already has a bodyshell.  Then again, the rust may keep a lot of people away.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-cooper-s/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

As the current bid is so low at $3500 I am guessing it will struggle to get anywhere close to $20k.
Agreed the rust and rattle can red along with fresh undercoating and aluminum floor patches will hold this one back.

Jimini II

Now a 62 Mini vtec on BaT in Ohio with bidding already at $9600 one day in.
Has some nice features but is registered on the FE number that got transposed to an FF number by DMV.

BruceK

I'm guessing the FE number was used due to modern police and DMV sensibilities.  It's actually welded to the body.    The idea that there's just one VIN plate and it's held on by two little Phillips screws just doesn't compute to them.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 10, 2020, 02:06:13 PM
I'm guessing the FE number was used due to modern police and DMV sensibilities.  It's actually welded to the body.    The idea that there's just one VIN plate and it's held on by two little Phillips screws just doesn't compute to them.

That is what I thought but when I looked at the pics the FE number was moved to the firewall and riveted on with a vin plate beneath it.
I understand why it was moved as usually on Vtec's the front inner wings are cut away at least back to the shock towers, but I can't figure out why they would use that number with a vin number below it unless it was added later which also adds to the confusion.

BruceK

A pretty darn nice Mk. I Cooper S has now appeared on BaT.   

This car is hard to fault - the only negative might be that it is currently in the Netherlands.  The shipping issue may put some people off, but not the kind of people looking for a very nice Mk. I Cooper S and willing to pay for it.  And it is LHD for those people can't be bothered with RHD.

I think this will go north of $35K.   Likely a good bit higher.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-morris-mini-cooper-s-1275/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think the VTEC might be held back by its interior, all that raw aluminum might appeal to some but not a lot. He did a great job behind that dash tho.....

The red Cooper S will be a good litmus test of the market these days - if it were me I'd be waiting for the current mess to blow over before I tried to sell my car - who should be buying anything right now with the economy on the brink of shutting down for a while? In a couple of months things may be a whole lot cheaper.....sadly.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

It seems the builder/owner of the Vtec Mini built his own sub frame, it is similar in design to John Mc Gee's in that it uses all stock Mini suspension and brakes if wanted.
I am not a fan of the dash either but with some black vinyl and maybe carbon fiber look wrap or some brushed aluminum it would look a whole lot better, I do like the way it hinges with all the wiring and relays labelled right there behind the dash very neat and tidy.

The 65 Tartan red/black LHD Italian market S that is still running on hydrolastic suspension is very nice and not overly restored it should do really well.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 07, 2020, 12:47:55 PM
There's another Mini Cooper S project car on BaT.  This one is a Mk. II and it has some battles going on with the tin worm, and it is losing. 

No Heritage Certificate because the seller thought nobody would want to see a certificate that has his name on it.  50.gif   D'oh!

Unlike the project Cooper from last week, this one is a running, assembled car that now needs to be disassembled and put right.  ;D     

There could be some overseas interest, but my wild guess is bidding on this could go over $20K, especially if somebody already has a bodyshell.  Then again, the rust may keep a lot of people away.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-cooper-s/

Well this one did not generate much interest at all, the final bid was $8,100 with RNM.