Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Problem is, even if it started as a legit S.  Engine block/head orig?  Hydro suspension is gone.  Fronts been cut and not properly braced...  these are just in the first 10 comments.  So it's in no way shape or form worth what the OG ones have been selling for.  By the end this will probably all come out and it'll just be another RNM.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Got a Sprite or AA head on it, not Cooper S despite the 11 bolts.....I think it's a regular Cooper, but with a fiberglass flip front it's already reached what it should bring IMHO. If it hits $20K I'll be surprised.....still, it is a nice little Mk1, and worth owning if the price doesn't get stupid. All the hard work has been done, this one is ready to just drive and enjoy.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And yet another Mini on sale this week - this one purports to be an actual 66 Cooper S

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-3/?fbclid=IwAR2210AhzDvcviU3X8aGb-X0YuZLbvNdnk8Dp2Wl27kBNLYhuLFUggizAXw

This one has some issues to me - for one all the different body panels don't match each other. And why on a car presumed to sell for $30 large or more wouldn't they replace the carpets when they did the rest of the interior, or at least before the sale? The grey carpet has faded to green!

Another problem is the 200 miles driven in 30 something years - given the experience I'm having with the Inno, this can't be a good thing!

As to the few non-original things like the color, I'm not sure that's a problem but it might keep it from hitting the big numbers.

There's a pristine original 71 Cooper S for sale in England for £35K, while not a Mk1 it is a low mile completely original of the last S models made.....just for comparison's sake.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on January 22, 2019, 10:48:12 PM
Pretty little 850 wagon on BaT now.....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-countryman-woody-2/

One of the Mini groups on Facebook posits that Mini values will be going up this year because of the 60th anniversary...

I don't think this woody will meet reserve at $6,900 right now. Six days in and no interaction from the owner who claims it was maybe re painted by a previous owner with filler in the tops of replaced wings, both floors look to be replaced and the heel board patched with the fresh welds showing and no paint on them.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on January 23, 2019, 10:01:11 PM
And now a nice 1275 Mk1 out of Armadillo Texas......bid already up to $10K on the first day!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-7/

I like this driver level Cooper and most of the modifications except that awful flip front as it kills it imo.

94touring

Not a fan of flip fronts either.  Having to build the 66 S with one hasn't been my favorite thing.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on January 28, 2019, 12:07:26 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on January 22, 2019, 10:48:12 PM
Pretty little 850 wagon on BaT now.....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-countryman-woody-2/

One of the Mini groups on Facebook posits that Mini values will be going up this year because of the 60th anniversary...

I don't think this woody will meet reserve at $6,900 right now. Six days in and no interaction from the owner ....

I seriously don't understand people who pretend they want to sell a car but when it comes down to it, they don't want to sell a car.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, it's for sale for $18,900 on Ebay so at this rate he'll own it for a while. Pity, it looks like a decent little car but clearly he has no idea how to market it.

You notice MiniGuy is high bidder on both this and the burgundy Cooper S.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And there's a 3rd Mini on BaT now that does not appear to have been mentioned previously, a Mk. I Cooper S that is far from original.  But it is an S...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Quote from: MiniDave on January 25, 2019, 11:48:28 AM
And yet another Mini on sale this week - this one purports to be an actual 66 Cooper S

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-3/?fbclid=IwAR2210AhzDvcviU3X8aGb-X0YuZLbvNdnk8Dp2Wl27kBNLYhuLFUggizAXw

This one has some issues to me - for one all the different body panels don't match each other. And why on a car presumed to sell for $30 large or more wouldn't they replace the carpets when they did the rest of the interior, or at least before the sale? The grey carpet has faded to green!

Another problem is the 200 miles driven in 30 something years - given the experience I'm having with the Inno, this can't be a good thing!

As to the few non-original things like the color, I'm not sure that's a problem but it might keep it from hitting the big numbers.

There's a pristine original 71 Cooper S for sale in England for £35K, while not a Mk1 it is a low mile completely original of the last S models made.....just for comparison's sake.

You  missed my post....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 28, 2019, 03:55:58 PM

Geez, he has 109 bids under his belt and he's not won a single car, or even seriously been in the running to win one.   Hmmmmm...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 28, 2019, 04:05:13 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on January 25, 2019, 11:48:28 AM

You  missed my post....

Dang!  Sorry for double posting that car.  I'm out of practice.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Yea, lets watch the surplus posts  ;D.  Love you man!  Got 2 months to plan out things to occupy that free time.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on January 28, 2019, 04:06:40 PM

Geez, he has 109 bids under his belt and he's not won a single car, or even seriously been in the running to win one.   Hmmmmm...

Maybe marketing ?

Jimini II

Quote from: Whee on January 28, 2019, 02:41:10 PM
I don't like the look of flip fronts and I always worry they are not braced properly, but I'd think they were real convenient for working on the car. Care to share why that's not so? (Never actually owned one)

As a lot of work on a Mini is done from the front i can't see why a flip forward front is of any benefit unless you completely remove it, now a Minitec type kit that hinges from the rear and flips up is a different story but most i have seen do not fit well and leave scratches and rub marks.

Jimini II

Funny the white Mini Cooper and the burgandy Cooper S are both doing bids of $15250 right now, i would think that is enough for the white one myself.

drmini

Quote from: Jimini II on January 29, 2019, 10:27:19 AM
Quote from: BruceK on January 28, 2019, 04:06:40 PM

Maybe marketing ?

I think you'll find that Miniguy isn't in the market to buy, but rather to run the price up.  He makes money as a broker of Minis and when any Mini sells for a high amount he can use that data to justify advertising Minis at a premium price on his website.  I guess you could call it marketing.  Some would call it shill bidding.  Obviously, BAT doesn't have a problem with it.  Now, it's unclear as to how much they pay attention to bidders on their auctions and whether a bidder gets onto every Mini auction but stops short of winning.  Just a thought.

MiniDave

He's been called on this a number of times, and they seem to turn a blind eye.....I guess there's no way to prove whether he's a "real" buyer or not. I find he usually stops well short of the final bids.

But then, I guess all early bids are shill bids, like the guys who bid the year of the car when they know it will top out 20 or 30K higher than that - or more.

One thing I've found really interesting are the invoices from Jet Motors and a couple other places - they are charging some serious money for both parts and labor to work on these cars - serious!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wow.......so I assume it's a revin? At least it has a vin that matches the supposed year of the car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: Whee on January 28, 2019, 02:41:10 PM
I don't like the look of flip fronts and I always worry they are not braced properly, but I'd think they were real convenient for working on the car. Care to share why that's not so? (Never actually owned one)

It takes away rigidity from the body and subframe.  Doesn't look clean. And really doesn't seem like it adds much convenience to me unless you take it the whole way off.

BruceK

Yeah, the MiniGuy's bidding is guerrilla marketing - but if the tables were turned I'm sure he would not be too welcoming if BaT were to push their auction services on his website.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Probably a mid to late 80's car looking at the under bonnet pictures, not a 73 for sure.
Mini Woody was a RNM at $9k, the owner should have been more involved it may have dpne more but not the $18K plus he wants.

MiniDave

When I pointed out on BaT in the comments that the seller clearly didn't know how to market that wagon, he came back at me like I was nuts, the car would sell it self or something. All he talked about was the paint job, which I hadn't even referenced.....

He may own it for a good long while.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Since this is a rather 'small' family of mini owners watchers .. I can share a cooper S that is going to be on BAT = Feb 9th listing.

Local owner and I refurbished the car from a barn / garage find few years ago =  Took ALL mechanical work ... and how he enjoyed the car for about 2 years... Now Jeff picked up  Lotus 7 =  another car needs to move out...

He is doing the right things for the BAT Crowd.. NICE  Artsy Pictures... Telling the story...  Top to bottom the car WORKS as advertised.. no shady hiding business.  Kept MOSTLY original.. Some parts are replaced just to keep operational . but MANY parts come with that were taken off.

It will be a cool 'local' sale, I have no Hand in the sale = just watching a car move along...

Definitely not a garage queen = Jeff drove this car 600+ Miles to CMU Last April (even got a speeding ticket on that trip in it)  +   400 Miles to Hilton Head Course this fall!  He is our local mini Distance driver award winner this past year 2018!

MiniDave

I remember your build thread on this car......what do you think he'll expect to get out of the sale $$$ wise?

An involved, motivated seller and a good story and pics should give it a leg up on most all the other listings.....look forward to it! I'm sure we in the community can give it a positive spin too   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad