Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

There was a grey one with a body kit on there also, just fwd though. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Looks like a decent build with some attention to detail, needs to loose the roof decal and the BINI badge on the rear though.
Vans seem to be the hardest Mini variant to sell especially in rhd form but this is lhd so it may appeal to a bigger audience but being in Canada may not help the sale imo.

BruceK

The Mini Van with the Honda engine just sold for $23K.  While it's not everyone's cup 'o tea, that has to be much much less than was spent on building it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

That was about what they've been selling for tho.....last I looked yesterday it was still in the $7's

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

On BaT now is a very clean good looking Mk. I Mini.   It's being listed as a Cooper but with no original VIN that ain't happening without a fight from the commentators.   Still, other then the missing provenance, it looks like it will be difficult to find fault with this car (at least with as much as is known on the first of the auction)

My early guestimate is this will go into the $20Ks.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-mk1/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Says it has a rod shift, so it's no Cooper S. South African engine block too - interesting.... But it looks like a really nice car!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Hold up, so theres no VIN or body tag on the car? It's registered on the FE number?

I know with my cars incorrect VIN that I'm no one to talk, but that sounds dodgy.

MPlayle

It is a little "dodgy", but not unknown to happen with some of the older cars.  Since the VIN on older cars do not conform to the modern 17 character format, when a VIN inspection is done, they will sometimes cross up the VIN with the 'FE' number.  If no chassis plate and older paperwork mentions the 'FE' number, an inspector may chose to recognize the 'FE' number as the identifying number for the car.

I almost had something similar happen with one of the Minis I imported as the 'FE' number on the slam panel was where the inspector first looked versus the chassis plate mounted on the inner wing partially covered by the wiring harness.

MiniDave

There are plenty of Minis running around with completely made up vins, at least this one has a number that came from the factory attached to the car, so even tho it's not an actual vin, it does go with the car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 02, 2018, 06:05:17 AM
On BaT now is a very clean good looking Mk. I Mini.   It's being listed as a Cooper but with no original VIN that ain't happening without a fight from the commentators.   Still, other then the missing provenance, it looks like it will be difficult to find fault with this car (at least with as much as is known on the first of the auction)

My early guestimate is this will go into the $20Ks.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-mk1/

After A LOT, and I mean A LOT of discussion about missing VIN plates and this being listed as a Cooper but not a Cooper, this very nice Mini just sold for $21,000.    I think that was a fair price.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think so too, it was a very nice car - but that was the top of the market IMHO.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Another lhd Cooper S for sale on BaT. Will not do the big bucks due to the non originality of it and somewhat shoddy work imo.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 03, 2018, 11:30:48 AM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-mini-cooper-s/

Shiny paint!

Yeah, it's kind of difficult to come up with something really nice to say about that car, so 'shiny paint' is a bit appropriate!

As with that white Cooper S from Wisconsin recently offered on BaT, I think this car is a poorly presented example and it just won't be able to overcome its flaws.  It's apparently a real Cooper S, but so many of the details are off-putting (tan interior, dirty engine compartment, Chevelle headliner, corroded switch panel, missing boot board, painted Union flag, non-original color, etc.) that it is never going to reach its full potential on BaT.   It does have two things going for it: it's already in California where a lot of potential buyers want it to be, and it's still a wet suspension car for those buyers that really want that.   But neither of those things is truly that important.

My wild ass guess, here on the first day of this auction, is this car will struggle to break into the low $20Ks.  But as more info about the car comes to light, perhaps that might change a little.  Right now, there isn't even a Heritage Certificate shown, and that is pretty much a must-have on a Mk. I claiming to be a Cooper S.   

Some irony. Instead of a plain Mini all badged-up pretending to be a Cooper S, this looks to be a Cooper S going completely incognito.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Now a 1967 Austin Mini Woodie on BaT with some i am guessing NZ sourced sliding windows in the rear, looks in good shape but mainly a paint job with some fresh wood and a bit of an interior freshen up, the 850 engine looks and by the compression figures is tired along with multiple oil leaks.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on December 05, 2018, 05:09:42 PM
Now a 1967 Austin Mini Woodie on BaT with some i am guessing NZ sourced sliding windows in the rear, looks in good shape but mainly a paint job with some fresh wood and a bit of an interior freshen up, the 850 engine looks and by the compression figures is tired along with multiple oil leaks.

Yeah, those rear side windows are weird.  And unecessary?  Normally the wood would be holding the glass in place.  To my eyes this looks a steel-body wagon from NZ - which are pretty much just Vans with rear windows cut in the sheetmetal, that has had a custom wood kit installed, and they had to work the wood around the windows.

Here's the link:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-countryman-2/

And a photo.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

It's a good looking wagon, good color combo and people like the wood look....it should sell easily enough unless he wants stupid money for it. 850 is the main stumbling block for most people....easily fixed with an engine transplant.

A couple of people mentioned that an 1 3/4" is a lot of carb for a 30 hp 850.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah, Almond Green looks great paired with the wood.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on December 05, 2018, 08:19:50 PM
A woody estate is one of the few major variants I have not owned. My fingers are itching. I'm with Bruce though - I'm suspicious it's a van.

I don't think it was a Van.  The W in the VIN indicates it's always been a wagon.  But the difference is that for New Zealand Minis, the wagons and vans were much closer in construction.  Basically, as I understand it, unlike the UK-built Mini estates with one side panel sheet metal stamping for the estate cars and another one for the Mini Van, in New Zealand both van and wagon started life with the same side panel stamping and it had no windows.  But for the wagons, they either took an additional step and stamped out a hole in the panel for the side windows, or they simply cut it out.   And then they installed a fixed piece of window glass held in with a rubber gasket (just like on rear doors or windshield).   And all this is muddled by home conversions turning them into estates by owners of Mini Vans by adding side windows. 

I searched the Interwebs for an example, but the closest I found was this - and I think this is a home-grown mashup.  But you get the idea. 

Edit: Here's a better example.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The other thing is the floor was different on the vans, and no provision for the rear seat. I think the vans used the same floor as the pickups.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Most of the NZ Estates i have seen have had the one piece glass in them not sliding windows like the one for sale.
I imagine as they were sent there a CKD kits to use local hardware as much as possible for the build they probably all went there as Vans to save on taxes, pretty much the same as the UK buyers did to save the purchase tax.
I never understood it as by the time you purchased a seat and windows you would have been close if not past the tax savings along with no interior like an Estate.

mascher

BMC and Leyland made a wood load floor van for export only. It was a van but the steel load floor was replaced with something like the estate rear floor pressing, it was unique to the wood load floor van though. In countries with high tariffs on personal vehicles these could be imported at the commercial vehicle rates and converted at the time of sale depending on the local laws. BMC could also supply a rear seat kit that looks a lot like the one in the BAT ad, not identical since this one doesn't have the folded steel rests for the back of the seat. The side windows appear to be left up to the dealer or new owner. The quickest way to identify a modified wood load floor van is by the wide rail under the rear (side) windows but the lack of a vertical support that would run through the middle of the rear (side) windows.
Kelley