Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vikram

A bit late, but I realised that unipower went for $43250 RNM. Seller wanted 50k.
I am very surprised, I understand that it is rare but I would have thought that 43 is the best he would have gotten anywhere. After reading the comments, it appears he did not even make clear that the reserve was so high...

BruceK

Quote from: Vikram on September 15, 2018, 01:59:11 PM
A bit late, but I realised that unipower went for $43250 RNM. Seller wanted 50k.
I am very surprised, I understand that it is rare but I would have thought that 43 is the best he would have gotten anywhere. After reading the comments, it appears he did not even make clear that the reserve was so high...

I forgot about the Unipower.   Yes, I agree with you that $43K seemed like it was enough.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

The silver Mini with a/c just sold for $9,600.   What a deal.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, I wonder if the bloom is off the rose again and prices will return to a more realistic level?? Or was it just fortuitous timing on the part of the buyer?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Who knows?   Still surprising that the dark blue one with some rust sold for $17,000.   Yet the last two haven't had very impressive bids.   Perhaps the $80,000 for the Mk I Cooper S took all the air out of the room. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The blue Mini that was RNM at $12250 is now up on the MiniGuy site with an asking price of $18500.

http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/blue86rhd/

Now we have an idea of what the seller was wanting out of the auction.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on September 22, 2018, 09:15:31 AM
The blue Mini that was RNM at $12250 is now up on the MiniGuy site with an asking price of $18500.

http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/blue86rhd/

Now we have an idea of what the seller was wanting out of the auction.

Minus some room for negotiation and MiniGuy's commission he wants perhaps $17K.   Seems optimistic but fair.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

And now on BaT we have a William Towns designed six wheeled Mini Hustler 6 for sale with a $6200 bid already, kind of looks like a Aston Martin Lagonda Pope mobile LOL.
Most of these (of the very few sold) ended up being scrapped or robbed of their drive trains and vin numbers or just got sold on as projects three or four times, basically a throw away vehicle in the 80's and 90's.

MiniDave

I never understood the point of the Hustler, why was it built? What was it used for?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 25, 2018, 09:16:55 AM
I never understood the point of the Hustler, why was it built? What was it used for?

Mobile greenhouse LOL.
A lot of William Towns designed vehicles were quirky to say the least.
There was a Moke looking 6 wheeler designed around the same time (name escapes me right now) but much the same pretty useless, on the other hand at least you did not cook on a hot day in it but really how many hot days does England have.

The Aussie Moke looks decent apart from the rust in the cross member area and it is shabby under the bonnet.

BruceK

I think you might be right - right around under $15K I think.   So much of these auctions depend on the responsiveness and tone of the seller.  And the interest and tone of the comments too.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: Whee on September 29, 2018, 04:55:19 PM
What are you folks thinking for this Moke on BAT?

I'm going for $13,000 and not making reserve.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-leyland-mini-moke/

I am guessing $12k and with a reserve not met. IMO he should have installed the roll bar and a top to help sell it, the small area of rust is not helping the sale either.

Jimini II

Quote from: Whee on October 02, 2018, 12:23:01 PM
Well, I was close on the price. $13,500, but surprised it sold! I was expecting a $14k reserve.

It is going to the UK. So Whee finds his UK Moke in the UK and ships it Stateside then this Aussie Moke auction is won by someone from the UK shipping it to the UK. Seems like the shipping companies are cleaning up.
A friend of mine restored a Triumph Stag and wanted a hard top which he found (with a car) in California and shipped it to Florida. He removed the hard top and sold the car with a soft top to a guy in (you guessed it) California.

BruceK

Now a 1977 Canadian-market Mini is on BaT.

This one has been de-bumpered, but still has its sidemarker lights fitted. I used to own a '79 Canadian Mini so I know they have lots of little quirks (body reinforcements for example) that were unique to that market.

Looks like an active seller - my wildass guess is this Mini will be bid to perhaps maybe $8K - it's a no reserve auction so that adds a twist. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-austin-mini-1000/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Another Mini has surfaced on BaT. 

A rare model, but does that mean it will appeal to more?  I don't think so.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-austin-mini-designer-edition-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

New underside photos just posted for the Designer Mini.   Oversill alert with really dodgy welding!   But nobody has commented on that yet.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I did.....  ::) :(

BTW, what's the deal with the headrests on the Moke that sold? Is that a factory deal or something someone fabbed up?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Those sills and underside look like my 74 did prior to de-oversilling it.

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on October 08, 2018, 07:18:43 AM
BTW, what's the deal with the headrests on the Moke that sold? Is that a factory deal or something someone fabbed up?

Are you referring to the white Australian Moke with the "lawn chair" seats?  If so, then those are indeed factory headrests.

MiniDave

yes.....ok, I had never seen those before.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

They are a bit funky and not very useful.  They do make the impression of being an afterthought.

My first Moke was an Australian Moke with those same seats.

BruceK

It's a Mini, Jim.  But not as we know them. 

These are just a bit rarer than a regular Mini.  But should be the same amount of fun to drive. 

So... in the 1970s, of the two major things to consider updating on the classic Mini -- the mechanicals or the body -- the crazy Italians decided to tackle the body and leave all the oily bits as they were designed back in Blighty in the late 1950s.   Personally, I think the original Mini body shape was perfect to begin with.

https://bringatrailer.com/2018/10/08/bertone-bodied-bmc-1980-innocenti-mini-de-tomaso-in-new-jersey/

Seems reasonably priced, and in good condition too.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah you can spot an actual roundnose Mini a mile away, these look very generic 90's hatch..... hard to tell what it is till you read the badge.

That's one of the very few complaints I had with my Clubman Wagon, from the front it just didn't say Mini at all.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 08, 2018, 10:24:25 AM
Yeah you can spot an actual roundnose Mini a mile away, these look very generic 90's hatch.....

Agreed.   But you've got to give the Italians credit for their fantastic aesthetic design skills.  It may look '90s hatch, but it was designed 20 years earlier!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S