Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

velopackrat

Is the BaT record $56.5K for that Mk2?  Bidding is a fun thing to watch, contenders stepping up early to burn off the poser-bidders.  But the heart of the matter is those last few minutes...
I'll wager $58K.

Jimini II

Bidding up to $41k on the red/black S now i think it will do $55k. They just did a start up video 50 plus pounds idling oil pressure sounds just like a Mini should, there should be no surprises with this one as they say "they are only original once".
The blue LHD needs a little work but looks solid and should do well.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on August 29, 2018, 08:30:49 PM
Quote from: velopackrat on August 29, 2018, 06:57:51 PM
MiniDave,

To mirror what you said, the market is beyond the norm and not just for Minis.  Much like the stock market.  So guess what?  If/when a correction takes place, these high water marks we're seeing will come back down.  Not that it helps us working class Mini nuts. And while gold and diamonds take up little space and hold value, you can't drive them:(
I'll store this built 1275 motor a bit longer then, hoping for a cheap shell to come along.  They sound so good at 6K rpm...

My grandson who's also a car nut can't wait for the correction to happen, he's got his eyes on some 60's muscle cars. Just waiting for the boomers to start loosing their licenses so he can scoop something up at pennies on the dollar.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but speaking of silly money for cars did anyone see that Paul Mc Cartney's old Cooper S just sold for an eye watering $236,000 USD more than double what Ringo's fetched. Not sure but this has to be a world record price for a Mini.

gr8kornholio

Quote from: Jimini II on September 04, 2018, 08:49:22 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but speaking of silly money for cars did anyone see that Paul Mc Cartney's old Cooper S just sold for an eye watering $236,000 USD more than double what Ringo's fetched. Not sure but this has to be a world record price for a Mini.

Aww, to have more dollars than cents.  ;D  Part of me is glad cause it preserves stuff that should be, but man 236K for I guess a piece of art/history so I guess if you look at it that way it's pretty cheap.  Rationalize!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

The original red Mk. I Cooper S is now bid to $62K with 40 minutes still to go.  Wowsers.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Watching it live.  Fake bidding has now come up in the conversation.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

I'm watching live too. Some serious bids back and forth!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Holy crap!  It's at $80K right now!!!!!!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And that was the winning bid:  $80,000 for an original Mk. I Cooper S.   

Stunned.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

"They are only original once"
And if you want that originality you are going to pay for it.
Really it is not surprising when you consider the all original regular early Mini which was a non runner and bought $52k or so a while back.
I heard that the buyer of Mc Cartneys Mini was the same buyer that bought Ringo's Mini Geri H? (Spice girls).

BruceK

When you think back a little bit, saying something was 'original' (as it applies to cars), was not a desired quality until pretty recently.  Original condition usually meant it was beat to hell and needed to be restored.  And a restoration was needed to bring it back to 'as original condition', meaning that magic point in time when it was brand new. Pebble Beach is the epitome of that (although most of the stuff there falls into the much-much-nicer-than-it-came-out-of-the-factory category. 

I can see where original has it's place in the art world of unique creations, but with mass-produced goods like automobiles, is this original thing just a passing fad?  Or is it a big change in thinking?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Time will tell.  All that is certain is right now is the time to sell that original preserved car.  The trend may continue and prices may go up, but if I had one it'd be for sale today. 

Makes you wonder what's more valuable now.  A full on completely accurate nut and bolt restoration that is fully back to original spec with all matching date coded stuff.  Or a used/preserved never been touched car like that Cooper S.

In the current atmosphere I'd say the used one. 

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 29, 2018, 04:06:31 PM
Wonder if it will get some sort of 'bounce' from the much more expensive Mk. I Cooper S being sold at the same time? Definitely different Minis, but this could appeal to someone who gets pumped up about the other car, but wants something more affordable.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mini-mk-iv/

Just 6 hours left on this auction.  And I think this Mini is going to benefit somewhat by association from the massive $80K selling price of the other car.   My guess is this will be over $15K, perhaps up to $18K.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The blue '77 Mini just sold for $17,000.   I think it did get a bit of a bounce from the Mk. I Cooper S. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I forgot to watch the end of this one....I think you're right. I also think that the blue one represents a way better deal, since you can drive and enjoy it, where the other one will only be worth less as it ages, especially if it gets driven.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 05, 2018, 01:32:01 PM
I forgot to watch the end of this one....I think you're right. I also think that the blue one represents a way better deal, since you can drive and enjoy it, where the other one will only be worth less as it ages, especially if it gets driven.

Or... the red one will be worth less if the whole hyper-valuing originality trend loses traction.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Makes me feel better about what I'm spending on mine.   77.gif

BruceK

One and a half Minis just popped up on BaT.  This time there is no need to bring a trailer!  ;D

I wonder how this combination will appeal to someone looking for a Mini.  Is the trailer an unexpected bonus?  Or an unwanted accessory?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-austin-mini/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Darn it Bruce, thought I was going to beat you to posting this.  Engine bay needs a cleaning to match the rest of the car.

BruceK

Yeah, the rest of the car looks pretty nice, but that engine bay has been neglected big time.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Don't know about the MINI emblems.....but the car looks nice! I think the trailer is a bonus, if you don't want it you can always sell it. I haven't seen one of these trailers done with the squared off corners like this.....

And what's with the Michelin man in the grill?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm undecided, I do kinda like them.....

998 pulling a trailer, I guess that's OK on flat ground but when you hit hills it would struggle.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Those Mini badges are appropriate for the later non-Cooper Minis, and with those 12" wheels that's what this car resembles.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Mike Smith out of BC built one of these trailers to pull behind his car, but he has a D series Vtec so it will haul it easily.

This looks like a clean solid Mini.....wonder what it will do?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad