Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Could be from Oz, but doesn't have the flush exterior door handles of the Aussie-built Clubman models, so I don't know.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Well, the yellow woody sold for $11K, pretty reasonable IMHO......although I think it had rust in the sills......so maybe not such a great deal, hard to say.

The blue wagon goes today, it will be fun to see where it lands but I think it will do better despite the smaller engine....I'm especially intrigued by these guys buying them on BaT and re-selling 6 months or a year later. Wonder if it will do better or cost him a bit?

The red Ashley Midget only brought $6600 - mplayle, did you bid on it? I think it was a decent buy at that price, but with the non-reclining seats and hard top, I don't think I could have gotten in and out of it. I can barely do that in Don's car with the reclining seats and the top down. Once in the car there's plenty of room - it's even harder to get in and out of than my old Jag.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I did not bid on it.  That would have been a very good buy, but I decided to be a wimp and hold onto my finances for a while longer.

Too many years of being on a tight budget and I tend to be afraid of spending when I have it available.  Put that with fluctuating contract hours and I chickened out.

MiniDave

Don't blame you one bit!

BTDT.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

That blue Mini wagon sold for $12750, about what I thought it should go for, maybe a bit low.......the small bore engine probably held it back some but the real eye opener for me is the $5 grand the guy lost owning it for one year.

Betting on appreciation did not work for this BaT flipper......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 18, 2017, 01:47:18 PM
That blue Mini wagon sold for $12750, about what I thought it should go for, maybe a bit low.......the small bore engine probably held it back some but the real eye opener for me is the $5 grand the guy lost owning it for one year.

I've been busy and haven't kept up on BAT auctions lately.  But I just checked the listing for this Mini to see if MiniGuy did some lowball bids and then dropped out only to later to post about his business.   

Not disappointed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 18, 2017, 01:47:18 PM

I was watching Jay Leno's show and  they were talking about how a compelling story or interesting history of a car being sold can help add value to it.    Not sure I completely bought that idea but it could have some merit to it. 

Looks like this was the complete opposite - a short term flipper who had tried various other ways to get rid of it, and then finally came to BAT.   So, it appeared he really did not care much for the car and was simply trying to dispose of it. How appealing is something not wanted?  But, imagine if this car had an honest true story about how much it meant to someone, how important it was in their lives, or maybe adventures they had with it.  I bet it could've sold for a lot more if that was the case.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Well, I was the high bidder on that Clubman coupe thing on ebay. Did not meet reserve, listed again with a but it now at $9300.

BruceK

Brad, are you just looking for a Mini that is not run-of-the-mill?   Because I think that car is it!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

It is kinda neat. For sure would have the only one around.

BruceK

The eBay ad is kinda sparse.  Does it have an 1100 engine?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

For supposedly being in the US, those pictures are from the Japanese auction and not very good quality.  You would think if they have them in actual inventory, they would take more and better pictures for posting on their US website.

BruceK

Agreed.  They seem to focus on the Kei trucks which are a pretty much a commodity.  They are pretty bad about going into detail on anything. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

The vin number on the LHD yellow one with no a/c is not a Mini vin number. Some of the J spec Mini's advertised have an SAXX vin number and others have a 99X vin number, the yellow one has neither unless it has the wrong vin entered.The SAXX vin numbered Mini's are the original factory vin numbers, the 99X vin numbers are the one's crudely stamped into the body in Japan usually in the boot floor sometimes with the original SAXX vin plates right next to them or on the inner fender.
If buying a J spec Mini personally (the way my DMV operates) i would look at the SAXX vin numbered ones to buy as they have the corresponding drip rail vin to match, not saying you cannot register a 99X Mini as i know of several that have been registered that way with no issues. The 99X vin numbers were only used for a couple of years in the late 80's early 90's.

BruceK

Good info to know.   A 17 digit VIN in the expected configuration not only helps with registration, but with obtaining insurance too.  Bureaucracies don't deal with anomalies very well.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Not on BAT, but on Pistonheads is this Mini on sale for £130,000  :-\   It's an ex-BMC works rally car and the seller explains that it has been re-shelled.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/morris/other-models/1964-bmc-cooper-s-works-ex-monte-carlo-paddy-hopkirk/7606639

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

is in excellent condition and retains many of its original Works parts – including the original chassis plate –  so rare in many similar cars today.

;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Nice Mk. II Morris Mini Cooper 998 on auction over at BAT.   It's certified as the final Morris Mini Cooper produced, which I think is something.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-mini-cooper-mk2/

The downside is that it's in Greece.  And the color won't appeal to everyone.   Plus it's a 998 rather than a Cooper S.  My wild guess is that it will go for about $18K.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 30, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
Nice Mk. II Morris Mini Cooper 998 on auction over at BAT.   It's certified as the final Morris Mini Cooper produced, which I think is something.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-mini-cooper-mk2/

The downside is that it's in Greece.  And the color won't appeal to everyone.   Plus it's a 998 rather than a Cooper S.  My wild guess is that it will go for about $18K.

This Morris Mini Cooper just sold for...

...$18,250. 

I'm going to take me victory lap now.   4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-16/

Not a mini, but I'm sure people will appreciate.  Still my favorite car to ever come out of Japan and probably in my favorite color combination.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

You da man Bruce!

What do you think the RX7 will sell for?

BTW, $18,250 plus 5% buyers premium plus $2500 shipping to NY, plus customs duties and fees, plus shipping to Stamford, Conn. so more like $22,500 delivered. Guy said he had a 2015 Cooper S in Volcano orange and couldn't pass it up......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

This one is interesting to me, as I had an Abarth Nardi 750......this one is interesting because the engine has been changed for an 850, which turns the other direction - which means you need an 850 transmission, which will not fit between the rear control arms.......and on it goes......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-abarth-750/

Mine had a similar finned oil pan, only it said Nardi on it instead of Abarth. Mine also had a finned Nardi valve cover......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Clean rx7 kept stock, 25k and up.

BruceK

On eBay, but featured on BAT:  It's a Mini Jim, but not as we know it.

It's a Mini in an Italian costume.

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/09/07/alejandros-other-hybrid-1982-innocenti-mini-de-tomaso/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S