Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I'm surprised there aren't more copy cat followers - cars and bids is the only one I know of, and while it does some business - it's no where near what BaT does.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on September 26, 2022, 06:44:10 PM
This is on BaT listed as a Mini Van but it's obviously an estate.  Comments are already pointing that out but the owner had to have approved the auction text?   I don't understand some people.   Doesn't have an A-series under the bonnet.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-austin-mini-van/

This VTEC-powered Mini sold for $29,000.  Even though it was clearly an estate, the listing was never corrected from saying it was a Van.  BaT may be the biggest, but they're still plenty sloppy. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah it's one thing to just miss stuff - since they're doing what 700-1000 cars a week now? But when you point it out to them - it's almost like they're not watching the listings anymore.....

I thought this was a great result for that car. Vtecs in the past were mostly in the low $20s, and wagons haven't done all that well, so this one def bucked the trends.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A '92 Cooper is now on BaT.  It's LHD for those that prefer it.  But it's for sale in Italy, so the import process will scare the chickens away.   And of course there will be a clueless Californian or two appearing in the comments asking if the Mini can be registered in the Peoples Republic of Government Overreach.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-12/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on September 27, 2022, 04:27:37 PM
Another JDM Mini has popped up on BaT.  Interesting color.  My guess is it will sell for about $15K. But who knows?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-rover-mini-2/

My guess was a little off.  It sold for $13,916.  Some questions about gearbox syncros might have hurt it a little.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think mondosuave got a good deal on this SPi..... 77.gif

The black one looks to be in really good shape, a 92 carbed car yet still has a cat? I thought only the FI cars had cats.

I agree that the location should keep the bidding down on this one.

I don't know why people who don't live in California would have anything to say about the Air Resources Board and it's rules? Commenters from all over the country seem to want to belittle them.

Vin decoder says it was built in Longbridge.....I thought left hand drive cars were only built in Belgium? So "proper" Minis would have to include LHD cars!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 04, 2022, 04:55:59 PM

I don't know why people who don't live in California would have anything to say about the Air Resources Board and it's rules? Commenters from all over the country seem to want to belittle them.

I'm happy to criticize the California CARB restrictions, particularly the fact they don't have a rolling 25-year exemption for smog compliance (like other states do), or some other type of semi-reasonable exemption to allow for their residents to own a variety of decades-old collector or classic cars which were not originally sold in that state.  I'm really surprised that the automobile enthusiast community in California has not lobbied for that kind of relief.  And this matter really only comes up on BAT because so many potential buyers in California appear to be clueless as to which cars are excluded from their ownership under the CARB restrictions under which they live.  If the Californians were to quit asking "Can this car be registered in California?"  ad nauseam in the comments there wouldn't be any further mention of the subject.  So I say it's fair game to discuss this, and to express an opinion, especially since it severely restricts the pool of potential buyers for virtually any old car being sold (Minis for example) when the most populous and most automobile-focused state is artificially excluded. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Nothing artificial about it, just because you think the rules are arbitrary or unwarranted doesn't mean they are.....if anything given the number of cars and the number of old cars in the state and the general quality of the air, at least in So Cal I think the rules are definitely needed.

LA county has seen significant improvement in the air quality in the last 20 years, and a lot of it is due to the rules they implemented and have been pretty adamant about enforcing them. I remember days in the mid 80's when I would stand at Riverside race track and could not see the mountain that was right there! In fact, one day in Feb when the Santa Anna winds blew all the smog out to sea I was amazed to see it so close, and the fact that I could see Catalina Island like they had moved it almost ashore!

That the California buyers are clueless is more down to their ignorance.

The enthusiast community has been to war with the Air Resouces Board, and the fact that they can have cars made before 1975 without needing any emissions controls is the result, Cal wanted to ban cars much younger than that. Cars after 1975 only have to have whatever they came with originally, which is a problem as most of them have had all the air pumps and such removed, but I don't think that would affect Minis that didn't come with any emissions stuff.

I wonder how people are getting these Vtec Minis registered?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well aren't they banning all sales of gas powered cars by 2035?  I'm sure that electric grid will hold up  ::)

gr8kornholio

Guess you didn't see the 4 weeks later release where the govt pleaded with all ev owners to reduce charging times due to the high temps and constant brown outs.  Cause we all know they are going to spend the next 10 years improving it.   :D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on October 05, 2022, 07:55:56 PM
Guess you didn't see the 4 weeks later release where the govt pleaded with all ev owners to reduce charging times due to the high temps and constant brown outs.  Cause we all know they are going to spend the next 10 years improving it.   :D

That's where the sarcasm was with my post lol. 

MiniDave

There's no question we are faced with considerable growing pains, and frankly I'm not sure going all in on electric is really the right thing to do, but something has to be done and I agree with the US being where it should all start, so that others will see our country as a leader again, something good to emulate.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

California should let demand dictate the sales of electric cars. Banning one to force the other isn't the way to go when they so clearly won't have an infrastructure for that huge of a leap.  There's so much red tape and government overreach they can't even get high speed rails built, nor can people easily add solar to their homes.  Those are just 2 quick examples and many others which have lead to people and companies leaving that state.  They should start with getting rid of all the almond plantations so people have water.  But, I don't want to get into a why California sucks debate.  Beautiful state run by idiots. 

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on October 04, 2022, 03:37:56 PM
A '92 Cooper is now on BaT.  It's LHD for those that prefer it.  But it's for sale in Italy, so the import process will scare the chickens away.   And of course there will be a clueless Californian or two appearing in the comments asking if the Mini can be registered in the Peoples Republic of Government Overreach.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-12/

Sold for the bargain price of just $9,100 !!  Wow.  Figure maybe $2K to import it to the US and the winning bidder got a really great deal on a low-mileage, rust-free genuine Cooper.

I wonder if the seller dropped the reserve? 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Cheap indeed, but I don't know if you can bring one over for $2K anymore. Still, even at 3 or 4K, it's still a deal.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A Mk I Mini 850 is now on BaT.  I guess I might be a purist or snob because I don't really like early cars to have modern looking paint.   But I'm probably missing the point: one of the fun things about a Mini is that each owner gets to put his or her individual stamp on their car, right?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The auction is almost over for this one but it's not too often that Portuguese Mokes appear on BaT.

This one is in Greece but the seller is providing free shipping to the US!   May not sell at the crazy prices for English models, but I think it's going to break into the 20s.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-austin-mini-moke-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The red Moke went RNM at $20,250.   I wonder what the reserve was?  I guess BaT thought it was worth as much as an English Moke.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A Mini that can't be registered in California, is for sale in California. I wonder if that's the reason it's being sold?   There's sure to be comments on the Montana registration.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-cooper-1-3i/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

So, even if this car has all the original emissions equipment it came with - undisturbed and functioning - it can't be registered in Ca because it doesn't meet their emissions numbers for that era?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The only emissions equipment later Minis had was the standard breather (with charcoal canister hidden in the fender) and a catalytic converter.  The bigger issue is since they were not sold new in California, there are no emissions numbers in the DMV databases for them to be rated against.

I can't say for certain, but I have heard that since there are no explicit factory numbers to compare against, they get tested to a default standard for a brand new car (ie: judged against 2022/2023 model year ratings).

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on October 16, 2022, 03:10:37 PM
So, even if this car has all the original emissions equipment it came with - undisturbed and functioning - it can't be registered in Ca because it doesn't meet their emissions numbers for that era?

There have been success stories about registering Minis in California.
I read of an early 90's Mini that went through the process and was quoted something like $5 to $10k, it got completed and registered but took 6 months to do so.

BruceK

To spend $10K to drive a $15K car takes some serious commitment.   And then you get to jump through that emissions hoop annually with fingers crossed. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on October 18, 2022, 12:52:50 PM
To spend $10K to drive a $15K car takes some serious commitment.   And then you get to jump through that emissions hoop annually with fingers crossed.
Yes it would not be my idea of fun.
I could understand it more if it was a car of significantly more rarity and value.

BruceK

A somewhat rare 997 Cooper is on BaT.   These weren't produced that long before being replaced by the 998 Cooper.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-austin-mini-cooper-9/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S