F1 - 2024

Started by Brit_in_TX, December 05, 2023, 07:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Perez signing is the death knell for Danny Ric I think, as Red Bull should be bringing new drivers on board if they're really going to use RB as a feeder for the varsity team.

Rumor has Sainz already signed up with Williams for two years, with an option for more if things go well.

So if HAAS take on Bearman, they will want an experienced driver to pair him, and if Kmag is out, who will that be? Bottas is in the running for sure....

Ocon? No idea if he'll even be on the grid in the future, but Mercedes could use him in the interim while getting Kimi up to speed somewhere else - tho not Williams now.

Still a lot of craziness to come in the silly season, tho quite a few of the dance cards are getting filled.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Now Sainz says "taint true", he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Montreal:

Hell of a race! A good rain can really make an F1 race interesting. Max really had to work for this one but he did a great job.

Ferrari had about the worst weekend in 5 years......

I wonder if Mercedes has turned the corner and is now a legit contender, or if this track just favored them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

It is good that Red Bull is not running away with everything. 

Red Bull could also be in trouble as they admitted that they got Perez to drive the car in an unsafe condition to avoid a safety car that would threaten Verstappen's lead.  Be interesting if McLaren protest it. 

The other news was that Tsunoda was extended with RB for 2025.

MiniDave

Well, they do have a healthy lead, but with Perez underperforming as badly as he is, it's keeping the others within reach at least......still he does have 107 pts and is 5th in the Driver's.

It's too bad the wheels have fallen off the Aston effort - at least compared to last year. 6th and 7th in this race is not bad, but you won't win any titles finishing there every race.

McLaren and Ferrari have been the real threat all season so far, but Mercedes seems to have found something.....we'll know for sure at the next race in Barcelona.

One thing that has been interesting over the last few seasons in particular is the reliability of all the cars - if they don't wreck out, chances are very good they at least will finish the race. As recently as the early 2000's that couldn't be said.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on June 11, 2024, 07:16:40 AMOne thing that has been interesting over the last few seasons in particular is the reliability of all the cars - if they don't wreck out, chances are very good they at least will finish the race. As recently as the early 2000's that couldn't be said.

I feel most of that has come from the requirement to have a few engines and gearboxes (plus other items) last the whole season.  Previously engines and gearboxes were built to make it to the 200 mile mark.  Now the have do maybe over 2000 miles.

MiniDave

It wasn't so long ago that engines, gearboxes blew regularly, suspensions broke over the kerbs, electrics went wonky - they were lucky if half the field made it to the end of the race. Mandating that they last so far into the season has really had an impact on the reliability and durability IMHO, and I wonder what they're doing differently? I mean, they're getting enormous power out of a tiny engine and having to make fuel economy too. I'm sure some of it is down to better materials and design, but still......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

It's probably directly proportional to the amount of money and time spent on it, at least as far as the engine stuff goes. If a motor and drive train only needs to last through 1 race, they probably didn't spend near as much "engineering time" on any sort of reliability and just hoped it would last the race. Now that they have no choice but to make one last several races they have to spend a lot more of their effort in that regard, which probably filtered down into the other components too. If your not pulling the entire power plant out and replacing it every race you are probably going to make sure the wiring, etc.. is built to a little higher standard as well.