New MINIs

Started by MiniDave, August 12, 2022, 05:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

https://www.thedrive.com/culture/mini-takes-the-states-mike-spinelli-commentary?fbclid=IwAR33_DQ8ZYqMRG-f1vyrl-nzSp9RAuFpp9tTW-4ma_0p_rEsvAMa5pJSx1A

I think this is a well written article concerning the plight MINI is now in and how it might continue in the face of changing market trends....

Better get your R53 now, cause they're gonna get expensive  - is my take!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

My son's 03 R53 is pushing 230K miles. It is well worn, but still going. I just wish he had taken better care of the exterior, but he just continues to drive it.
His next car will not be a Mini, looking at 4WD something...

BruceK

A couple months ago I marked 20 years of ownership for my 2002 R53.  It's got 140K miles and onky gets maybe 4K a year now.  I'm still in love with it. I like the way it looks, and I love the way it drives. When I park it and walk away I still turn and look back at it.  The exterior still looks great, as does the interior.   I don't plan on ever getting rid of it.   And I know MINI is very unlikely to ever make anything this much fun again.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MD-IN-UK

My wife and I purchased our black on black (last model year for jet black) 05 R53 new at Checkered Flag MINI in Virginia Beach. We built it just the way we wanted it. Nothing over the top, just climate control a/c and web spoke wheels, xenon headlights.

Anyway, we still have it, just turned 49,000 miles, never seen any type of nasty weather, garage kept since day one. If anyone thinks the R53 will go up in value, this won't be one of those avialable. We plan on keepig this car forever.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

ve9aa

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MiniDave

Is that a Google street view camera?

I have a 2009 Clubman S that I ordered new, they haven't had anything that I would buy to replace it, I'm doubtful they ever will. Every year the cars seem less and less like MINIs to me......

So I'll just play with my classics and keep the Clubby......it's still going just fine.

You can do a LOT of car repairs for what it would cost to replace it, even with just a newer R55/R56.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ve9aa

No it's a large Amateur Radio (ham) antenna. The big fat part houses a movable motor and coil for matching on a variety of frequencies making the antenna 'seem' longer or shorter to the radio.

This antenna is not currently on the air, but was for a while.

I think I am at around 260,000kms with some more-or-less normal repairs. Wife's car is nearly that.

The #1 worst part about owning these 2 cars is dealing with BMW and their BS. Once these 2 cars are done, I'll never buy another, ever.
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MiniDave

Well, now I see where you get your screen name   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on August 12, 2022, 05:04:53 PM
Better get your R53 now, cause they're gonna get expensive  - is my take!

My ex wife had a 2006 R52 (convertible) and it was awesome fun to drive.  I would like to get a Cooper S or a JCW version of the R51/53, just need a) money and b) space.

G67mcs

I've still got my 03' R53 I purchased new in January 03'. It's at 170k miles and approaching the 20 year old mark in my care. I still enjoy the drive! I do have some planned suspension and brake maintenance this winter (inner ball joints, swaybar bushings, rotors & pads, etc.).

After having it this long it would be hard to part with.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner