Oil change on a cold engine

Started by BruceK, June 23, 2022, 05:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I know it's not the conventional way, but it's time to change the oil in my Mini and I'm rebelling against convention.  Its 97° outside and driving around in that heat without air-conditioning is never fun, so I decided to forgo warming up the engine first, and I'm attempting my first cold engine oil change.  Well, "cold" is a relative term.  The engine is at room temperature in my air conditioned garage. I figure the last time I drove the car and then parked it, the engine cooled down and most of the oil in the head and block has drained down to the sump anyway, where it's been sitting for at least a week.  So it's a pretty much matter of giving the sump enough time to completely drain the not-hot oil.  I figure an overnight time period of 15 hours should be more than enough.  If it's still dribbling out tomorrow morning I will know that this was a bad idea.  But I don't think that'll happen.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Doesn't matter in the least, the oil has all the dirt that's not in the filter held in suspension......it will all drain out - at least enough to not matter anymore.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Agreed it's totally fine 15 hours of drain time... I would probably call it good in 15 minutes.

94touring

Yeah doesn't matter.  In fact I have to drain my VW cold to check and set the valves properly each oil change. 

BruceK

Yup. As you guys said, it was drip dry this morning. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara