Weber/compression/distributor question

Started by Mudhen, April 13, 2022, 07:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

First time rebuilding a Weber...supposedly this was just rebuilt but clearly not.  Unless they did everything except the gaskets...  ::)

Why would the gasket for the air filter be so much smaller than the opening?  I don't mind fixing it, but worried I might have the wrong rebuild kit for this 45 dcoe - anyone else experience this?

Did a compression test on it, too - about 210 across the board.  I don't suppose that says anything about what it is in terms of an actual compression ratio and what fuel might be required - is 210 pretty normal?  I asked the PO and he said he never put any additives in it so I'm *assuming* hardened valve seats - will go with super unleaded to start and see how it goes.

I ordered a new distributor/wires/coil (and a Maniflow intake manifold - thx Dave!) as well to refresh the ignition system - got the electronic one - straight forward on setting it up?

Thank you gentlemen!

94touring

Probably because it's the wrong gasket lol.  210 across the board indicates some high compression.  Definitely run premium and don't go crazy with the advance.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on April 13, 2022, 07:52:38 AM
Probably because it's the wrong gasket lol.  210 across the board indicates some high compression.  Definitely run premium and don't go crazy with the advance.

Lol, ya...I guess as I dig into it more if I find other incorrect parts I'll put it on hold and see about getting a different rebuild kit.  I fkd up the float 'ball' thing trying to bend the tab to set the float correctly - it was waaaaay off.  Ordered the correct tool for measuring/bending it this time - 'overnight parts from Australia!' is my new thing - I picked a bad time to be ordering all these parts from overseas.  50.gif

Mudhen

Thanks Dan!

The very next thing - removing the filter on top - and voila - gasket was wrong for that, too.  I called Pegasus where'd I'd gotten the rebuild kit from...the guy was VERY knowledgeable about Webers and talked me through all sorts of 'Webers 101'.  Got me thinking about any kinds of measurements I might be able to take to verify what the carb really is - BAZINGA!  It's actually a 48DCOE!  With a 45DCOE top.   ;D

Wonder if the race/rally series this car used to enter in required a 45 and these cheaters 'worked around' that rule.   :D

Loved to see this delivery today...probably my 5spd dogbox.  Riiiight...

Lets go!

cstudep

A 48DCOE is a hell of a lot of carb for one of these small engines!