Rear subframe/trailing arm problems

Started by Coalhod, December 29, 2021, 03:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coalhod

Hello;  Had some strange handling where on left hand turns the car would want to step out from the right rear side.  Decided to remove trailing arms and compare as per 7 Enterprises blog and the arms are "pretty close".  I did find that the right side arm was on a bind and found the trailing arm pin took a lot of effort to turn so it looks like rebuild time.  Also, when checking tracking I had over 3/4" total toe in at the rear and installed MiniSpares MS 73 brackets which brought that to 3/16" - would like to get a little closer to 1/8".  On inspection of the subframe where the trailing arm pin bolts at the inner side the 1/2" hole is slightly wallowed out so I have read elsewhere welding a washer there should cure the problem.

Winter projects!

MiniDave

A stuck trailing arm pin will definitely affect the handling - ask me how I know!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Rear toe should be 1/16" to 1/8" total (in) fyi.

Coalhod

Hello;  FWIW an update on doing this repair.  I had originally done it using a brake cylinder hone on the bush (wrong) and oddly enough another local Mini owner had the correct 13/16" reamer to do the repair.  Anyway when all was said and done the trailing arm pin turned with little effort by hand!  Not so previously!

The other alternative and probably a better way to go is to exchange the arm(s) with one of the major Mini parts suppliers.  I have found a price discrepancy on both U.S. and British suppliers for the exchange arms and the returned arms have to be straight (serviceable) which makes sense so the price for a bad (bent) arm would be as an outright cost.  Seems U.S. suppliers are much costlier for the same service.

MiniDave

Good to know you got it sorted....the problem for me with doing an exchange with one of the suppliers in England is the cost of shipping.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You could always buy the fancy alloy arms like I have!  Big weight savings on the suspension.

cstudep

Quote from: 94touring on February 01, 2022, 10:53:27 AM
You could always buy the fancy alloy arms like I have!  Big weight savings on the suspension.

Do they not use the "reamed bushing" method or is it just because they are new and all that is already done? Wasn't sure if they use bearings or something different in that area since they obviously have total control of their casting I suppose they could do just about anything they wanted.....within reason of course since it still has to work in place of the standard part.

94touring

They use the same bushings. They do come pre reamed though too.