Lights!

Started by MiniDave, December 18, 2021, 11:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Starting a thread on shop lights of all types.

Let's start with overheads.....

I've slowly been converting my fluorescents over to LEDs, first I moved from the fat tube fluorescents to the thin ones, they are the more efficient type and frankly I wasn't all that impressed - both with the light output and the time it takes for them to warm up to full brightness on a cold day.

So as they pop up on sale at Costco I've been buying the 4ft twin bulb LED units for about $20 ea, these are pretty terrific - they put out way more light and are not only instant on but no warm up at all.

Trouble lights:

I still have ye olde burn your hand and melt the upholstery trouble light on a retractable reel.....it's probably 50 years old and like Washington's axe most of the parts have been replaced at some point including the cord! It is a miserable thing to use, always in the way, always burning you but it simply can't be beat with a 100 watt incandescent bulb (yes it's not supposed to be over 60 watts but you can't see shit with 60 watts) for getting light into the nooks and crannies that an LED just doesn't seem to penetrate.

However, I think its days are numbered.....

After watching a number of episodes of Edd China's new series on You Tube, where he uses the slick magnetic base round LEDs I went to Harbor Freight and bought 2 of their version of a similar light - they have three "speeds" and of course I'm pretty much always using the highest one but having the magnetic base lets you put the light pretty much anywhere you need it. They're rechargeable too - at $25 each they were about 20% of what the Phillips ones Edd uses cost.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra-compact-750-lumen-rechargeable-magnetic-floodlight-57187.html

So far I really like them, and you don't get burned when you use them, tho they do get warm. Run time is about 2-3 hours on high speed.

But my next purchase I'm considering a headlight - there are a number of new versions available from prices of $20 up.....I'm undecided on whether to get one with the multiple lights or a simpler one with a single....my usual impulse is to go as simple as possible......

So what do you use in your shop?

What works best for a trouble light?

What do you use when you can't get a trouble light where you need it, or you need your hands free?

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have two rows of 4 foot shop lights but in the paint booth area have one mounted on the wall as well as a twin bulb 2 foot 13k luman LED overhead.  My place stays bright.

MiniDave

One of the downsides to using a headlight is when you're working with a buddy using one and he looks up at you and you're blind for about 10 minutes..... 

Ask me how I know  ::)

No, don't.....   11.gif

I'm a proponent of the "you can't have too much light in your shop" theory - unless it's in your eyes......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bikewiz

In my shop where I have my lathe and milling machine I use these in two fixtures https://www.eledlights.com/led-lights/eled-indoor-lights/shop-by-type/eled-led-tube-light-bulbs-lamps-t8-t12/eled-4ft-led-tube-light-bulbs-t8-t12/4ft-led-tubes-double-end-power/ultra-high-lumen-4ft-led-tube-t8-t12-type-b.html#opt_lenscover_swatch=596&color_swatch=550 the combination of color and lumen output is really bright.

In the garage area I have highbay LEDs for general lighting and use a Snap-On/Blue Point LED corded work light and a Snap-On rechargeable LED magnetic light (traded bicycle stuff for the Snap-On stuff)
I occasionally use a Light & Motion Vis 360 600 lumen headlamp which blows away most headlamps, I generally use it on medium. https://lightandmotion.com/collections/mountain-biking/products/vis-360-pro

BruceK

I got these LED shop lights from Costco a couple of years ago and installed them all over my garage.  I liked them so much I bought  a couple extras in case one ever burned out (kind of unlikely since they are LEDs).

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 18, 2021, 11:52:48 AM

Trouble lights:

I still have ye olde burn your hand and melt the upholstery trouble light on a retractable reel.....it's probably 50 years old and like Washington's axe most of the parts have been replaced at some point including the cord! It is a miserable thing to use, always in the way, always burning you but it simply can't be beat with a 100 watt incandescent bulb (yes it's not supposed to be over 60 watts but you can't see shit with 60 watts) for getting light into the nooks and crannies that an LED just doesn't seem to penetrate.

I've got a couple of retractable reel dropdown lights too, but I long ago ditched use of any incandescent light bulbs in my house (other than an oven light) and I've gone full LEDs throughout including the drop lights.  It's a no-brainer.  No worries about burns or breaking a filament (or a glass bulb itself) by accidentally knocking it or dropping it.

And since LED bulbs use so little electricity, you can easily bump up the brightness to a lot more such as the equivalent of 100 watts in the incandescent world and only use like 23 watts with an equivalent brightness LED. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

joakwin

i have 8 of the costco led 4ft lights in my 3 car garage, 7 for the floor area, plus 1 above my milling machine
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

You guys with your milling machines!  Sheer envy..... ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

I've got 10 dual-T8 fluorescent fixtures in the garage, with bright white ceiling and walls.  Lit up like a TV studio.   4.gif  I have been eyeing up some LED fixtures/bulbs.  If I don't have the garage warmed up, the fluorescents don't work so well.

MiniDave

Is that the state of your car now?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

Quote from: MiniDave on January 06, 2022, 03:59:43 PM
Is that the state of your car now?

Basically.  The work being done now isn't quite as dramatic as when I was welding in panels.  I've been working on the little things like welding up the rear wheel arch closing panels, fixing a couple of panels that are oil-canning, etc.  Although everything looks pretty straight in grey primer, the rear quarters in front of the wheels are a bit out of shape, the roof has dents, etc.  So, some fixing there and then should be starting on filling and blocking soon.

The balanced rotisserie has been great to work with, though.  Easily spin-able and stays in place without having to use grub screws or pins.

cstudep

Did you buy the rotisserie or build it? It looks a lot like the Rollover Jig version they sell in England.

I need to build one and that one looks pretty simple.

skmini

I built it, but it's based on the Rollover Jig:

https://www.rolloverjigs.com/product/mini-saloon-jig/

I added to the rotiserie thread with the build, but I think that got lost in the crash.  I'll create a new thread for it.

cstudep

Yeah if it wasn't for the cost of shipping I would have bought one of those already. At the time I looked at it, I could hardly buy the steel for what they were charging for one, but the cost to ship it almost doubled the price.

If you have any dimensional/build info, drawings, pictures, etc... that would be awesome. I could draw up some plans or something if anyone else would want to try to build one. I like the rollover jig version as it is pretty compact and can basically be made to fold up flat when not needed. Maybe not sure useful for most people since using one is likely a one and done thing for most.

BruceK

In case anyone is interested, I just noticed these lights are on sale on Amazon for a short time.

Limited-time deal: Sunco Lighting LED Shop Light for Workshop Garage 4FT, Plug in Linkable Utility Light Fixtures, 260W=40W, 4000K Cool White, 4100 LM, Frosted Lens, Pull Chain, Hanging/Mounted, ETL, Energy Star 4 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGKJ318/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_G949NH9AW1RTSB6GN9Q3
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

skmini

Quote from: cstudep on January 07, 2022, 09:04:35 AM
If you have any dimensional/build info, drawings, pictures, etc... that would be awesome.

I created a post with some measurements and pictures of the build:

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=2590.0