Renovating a bathroom

Started by MiniDave, December 08, 2021, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I'm sure since most of us are pretty handy with tools that a lot of us have taken on home reno projects, I've owned our 1964 model for almost 30 years now and it is long overdue for some upgrades, so I thought I would tackle a "small" project first and redo the bathroom off my bedroom - it only has a shower, no tub.

So, I started looking at what needed to be done and made a list:

Remove tile from floor and all the walls (half up on the walls)
Remove built in vanity
Remove toilet
Remove all hardware - towel holders and such
Remove drywall under wall tile and replace
Remove shower stall and plumbing
Remove light fixtures
Sand and prep window sill and window

Then - install new tile floor and coves
Install, mud and prime all drywall
Replumb for new faucet
Install new shower pan and drain plumbing
Install shower surround and caulk everything
Paint entire room including ceiling with semi gloss
Paint window and trim and door with high gloss
Wire in new LED light fixtures
Wire in receptacle for mirror
Install new vanity including plumbing for new faucet
Install new toilet and shut off
Install new shower door
Install new hardware, TP holder and towel bars

Doesn't seem like much, huh?

Note I did not remove the tile off the floor, the tile on the floor is 4 inch square and I'm using 1' X 2' for a more modern look. I did NOT want to use subway style tile in the shower as even tho it's on trend right now, I think in 10 years or so people will be moving on to something else and it will look as dated as what was in there now.

However, that caused a problem as even tho that floor looked OK it turned out that it was not flat or level, which meant I had to spend a day grinding the high spots down as the longer tiles wouldn't sit flat. Once that was done the floor went down easily. Sure made a mess tho - I had a fan in the window blowing out to carry the dust off but it still went everywhere - I'll bet I spent another day with the HEPA vacuum cleaning up the dust - moral of the story - removing the tile and putting down a new subfloor would have been faster and easier in the long run.

So, bottom line - even doing most of the labor myself (I let someone else do the floor and most of the demo) it is still effing expensive to do this stuff!!!! Whew!

I'm still not done but at least the room is usable again - except the shower as I don't have the door in yet.

SWMBO now wants to do the main bath (her bathroom) which does have a tub, plus wall paper as well as tile half up the walls, and a tub which she also wants to replace. It has the exact same odd sized (42") vanity as mine did so we'll be buying another for it, along with the tub and so on.

But it will be SO much nicer when it's done.

BTW, the gold hardware on the vanity is being replaced with chrome to match the rest of the fixtures. I was tempted to use the brushed nickel look, but I found a faucet I likes and wound up matching everything else to that style. Also, I see I need to change the color of the light in the shower to match the one in the mirror. It's just a matter of setting the switch on the back of the fixture to do that.

Still a lot to do but in the home stretch now.....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It looks very nice. Good job! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

You forgot to include the before photos!  Looks good.  Having done a remodel recently myself I know how much work, time, and money it is.

MiniDave

I know you did, and I think yours was even bigger and more involved than mine.....I know Mark did a total reno on his too.

I don't have any before pics, but just imagine a very tired built-in plywood, painted vanity with tiny tile on the top, with a porcelain sink that was cracked and had rust stains, light blue 4" tile on the floor and walls (my neighbor's house has the exact same layout, their bathroom has light green tiles!) and a big mirror with a chip on one edge, a 60 year old toilet.............. and you'll get the general feel for it.

It all had to go.....

I got the shower door installed (which was incredibly involved and fiddly!) and the light fixture in the shower reset from yellow to LED white, but the rest will have to wait till I get back from out trip the next couple of days.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Looks good.  Yea we had people do our master.  We did the half bath and most of the boys bath, except the shower tile. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.