Author Topic: F1 - 2022  (Read 3270 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: F1 - 2022
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2022, 01:44:24 PM »
Yep.....completely anti-climatic ending......like I said, ended with a thud instead of everyone standing and cheering it on. I think that's why there was so much booing at the end - not because Max was leading but because they didn't even get a shot at a real race ending.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline Brit_in_TX

« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2022, 09:11:38 AM »
They are the rules.

In Abu Dhabi last year the rules were bent on the fly and depending on which side you were on, it was an awesome or terrible decision. This time they followed the rules (which the Race Directors have been doing all season), and the race ended under the safety car.

There have been calls for a red flag, but the reasons for a red flag are documented.  I don't think there is an option to have a red flag to allow a green flag race finish. 

NASCAR goes into overtime, and can have multiple rounds of green-white-chequered, but they refuel the cars.  Indycar race can and have finished under yellow, including the Indy 500 a few times.

Offline Brit_in_TX

« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »
Nyck de Vries had an awesome debut and was seen in the uniform of 3 different teams at the weekend.  FP1 he was in the Aston uniform, FP2 he was in the Mercedes garage and then FP3 he was in the Williams.  Really showed how far off the pace Latifi is and that it is not just Albon doing mega things in a crappy car.

Also there maybe a good chance that de Vries will be back in the car for Singapore as Albon suffered complications after surgery that resulted in respiratory failure and him having to be admitted to the ICU (according to the press release this is uncommon but not unheard of as a complication). Also Singapore is one of (if not the most) physically demanding races on the calendar, so Albon not being in top form may result him missing that race.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2022, 11:11:02 AM »
Yep, Nick makes Latifi look like what he is, an amateur playing with the big boys.....and it also points out how rare it is to have the chops to really play in F1.

Nick said on his cool down lap that his arms were killing him! I fully expected him to be in the car in Singapore, even if Alex hadn't had complications. In fact, what I'd like to see is him replace Latifi and stay with the team once Alex is back in his car. But I expect Latifi's money is contingent on him finishing this season.

I can't argue with the fact that they didn't throw the red flag, but it sure would have been fun to see Charles going after Max. Chances are good that it still would have finished the way it did, but it would have been fun....

Nick's performance pretty much guarantees him a ride next season, but with whom? Since he's with Mercedes, I doubt they'll kick out Lance so Aston's out. Williams is a good place for him to go, but can they afford him if they lose Latifi's money? McLaren is set already, and Mercedes isn't going to fire Lewis so that leaves HAAS and Alpine, neither of which are Mercedes backed teams.

I thought Mick drove a super race, he was aggressive at times and didn't wreck. I really think he deserves another season - preferably in a better car. It's sad how HAAS has fallen off the pace after starting the season so strongly.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline Brit_in_TX

« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
Agree that Mick deserves the opportunity for another season.  The issue is there is probably 5-8 other drivers that deserve F1 opportunities and only 1 or 2 seats available. 

I do not know if Latifi's money is needed by Williams any more.  They have had significant investment after they were bought out and have started bringing on some sponsors. Some of which seem to be taking more real estate on the car (Duracell).  There is also the budget cap factor, they are having their best season in years, and scoring points gives them more prize money and more sponsorship opportunities.

Offline Brit_in_TX

« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2022, 08:46:30 AM »
Alpha Tauri have confirmed Yuki Tsunoda for 2023.  Could this be a sign that they are going to release Gasly and needed to move to secure their second seat before that announcement? Normally Alpha Tauri is one of the last teams to confirm their line up as they have such a roster of drivers through Red Bull Jr.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2022, 10:12:14 AM »
I'm a little surprised there's so much interest in Giovinazzi, I never thought he did much at Alfa Romeo. More of a seat filler than real prospect......

I think most of this chair changing has to do with DeVries, once that's settled for sure the rest of the dominos will fall into place.

Alpha Tauri talks about it taking 3 seasons for a driver to really come to grips with F1 as one of the reasons they decided to keep Yuki - that and stability in the team - but F1 doesn't seem keen on giving Mick Schumacher the same advantage, do they?

I think Mick should get one more season - and a lot will depend on how he does the rest of this year. Still plenty of races to go. I wonder if there's some kind of friction between him and Gunther that's causing the rift?

I think putting Nick in an Alpha Tauri is going to help Yuki too.......and Gasly certainly deserves to move to a more reliable car further up the grid so he can show what he can do......so I would like to see him at Renault.

I know Aston is spending money like water, but I seriously doubt Alonso made a good move going to them....but who knows, maybe they're right on the cusp of a major move up the grid? There have been times when Vettel looked pretty quick in the car....

Even tho - once again - the front of the grid and the races there are pretty one sided, there's still a lot of action in every race - I think this has been a good season in F1, and if Ferrari can get their shit together, I think next year they and Mercedes and Red Bull will all be fighting for wins!

And this just in!  https://scuderiafans.com/f1-electric-tyre-warmers-to-be-banned-from-2024/?fbclid=IwAR2LcFU4pPB2BHrTs1EewLtbCe0KSOgu_SE_7CGtmzgaVzIyGakrWmJjqhs
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:33:01 AM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline Brit_in_TX

« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »
The tire warmer ban has been coming for a while, but lots of other series manage it (Indycar and NASCAR).

Agree Mick has done enough to deserve another chance, just not sure who is going to give him another chance.

Also in the news is the 24 race calendar for next season with some insane back to backs.  Baku > Miami and Vegas > Abu Dhabi

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2022, 01:42:40 PM »
Yes, what is up with the logistics?

Baku - Miami - Imola?

I understand why they want Miami early in the year - it's HOT there, but it was hot as hell in Malaysia every year too....

Spain - Canada - Austria?

Again with the back and forth?

February 23-25   Pre-season testing   Sakhir
March 5   Bahrain   Sakhir
March 19   Saudi Arabia   Jeddah
April 2   Australia   Melbourne
April 16   China   Shanghai
April 30   Azerbaijan   Baku
May 7   Miami   Miami
May 21   Emilia Romagna   Imola
May 28   Monaco   Monaco
June 4   Spain   Barcelona
June 18   Canada   Montreal
July 2   Austria   Spielberg
July 9   United Kingdom   Silverstone
July 23   Hungary   Budapest
July 30   Belgium   Spa
August 27   Netherlands   Zandvoort
September 3   Italy   Monza
September 17   Singapore   Singapore
September 24   Japan   Suzuka
October 8   Qatar   Losail
October 22   USA   Austin
October 29   Mexico   Mexico City
November 5   Brazil   Sao Paulo
November 18   Las Vegas   Las Vegas*
November 26   Abu Dhabi   Yas Marina

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline Brit_in_TX

« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »
And to the surprise of no one that is an F1 fan, Latifi is leaving Williams at the end of the year and I imagine leaving F1. 

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2022, 10:04:16 AM »
Well, I'll give him credit - he did 3 years with an F1 team, many drivers never even get the chance - even tho I'm sure it was vast buckets of cash from his Dad that made it possible. I would have cut him a break if both George and Albon (and Nick!) hadn't done so much better with the same car......

It will be interesting to see who they choose, the car is improving and in the right hands it's no longer destined to start every race dead last.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal