F1 - 2022

Started by Brit_in_TX, October 26, 2021, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

You're right, Piastri's option expired - they thought they had the deal sewn up with him going to Williams and Williams is not happy that they're not getting him. He'll be in orange jammies next season.

But here's the fun part, I hear Danny Ricky Bobby will be back at Renault next season....I would have thought he'd pretty much burned that bridge but Szafnauer says he would be happy to have him back. And I can guess why! I'm betting Big Mac is paying a bunch of money to get out of his contract and Renault will get him "cheap" - at least for one season, who knows after that?

So, Latifi and Schumi Jr are both on the bubble for next season, I really don't think Williams will keep Latifi despite the $$$$ he brings to the team, but I don't think Schumi is the answer for them either.

That part of the silly season has yet to be determined.....and American driver Sargeant will drive an FP1 when the season restarts.....

I would like to see Andretti buy either Sauber or Williams and jump into the fray!

I read Audi has interest in Schumi for their team once it all happens.....by then he'll have 5 years in F1.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on August 03, 2022, 12:23:10 PM
But here's the fun part, I hear Danny Ricky Bobby will be back at Renault next season....I would have thought he'd pretty much burned that bridge but Szafnauer says he would be happy to have him back. And I can guess why! I'm betting Big Mac is paying a bunch of money to get out of his contract and Renault will get him "cheap" - at least for one season, who knows after that?
The management has changed, so that is why Szafnauer is probably open to having him there.

So, Latifi and Schumi Jr are both on the bubble for next season, I really don't think Williams will keep Latifi despite the $$$$ he brings to the team, but I don't think Schumi is the answer for them either.
Latifi will be out, Williams no longer need the $$$$ he brings.  I think Schumi Jr has done enough to stay in F1, when the Haas works he has been keeping up with KMag honest. 

I would like to see Andretti buy either Sauber or Williams and jump into the fray!
Hasn't Andretti still got an application in to start a team?

I read Audi has interest in Schumi for their team once it all happens.....by then he'll have 5 years in F1.
Isn't that going to be with Red Bull, I don't think he has the talent to be there.

MiniDave

Porsche is buying 1/2 of Red bull F1 Racing, Audi is buying a team, either Sauber or Williams are the two top choices.

Andretti is trying to enter his own team, but the easier way for them would be to buy another team.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Interesting that Porsche and Audi are coming into F1 as they are both owned by the VW Group.

MiniDave

Yes, Porsche did it in the 80's with McLaren as just an engine supplier, so there's precedent for them - and they're only going to be the powertrain supplier again with Red Bull.

Audi OTOH is going full on, they'll start with their own engine and chassis and grow it from there....tho if they buy Sauber they'll be getting a good leg up.....

I think Porsche's efforts will be more effective at first because they already have experience with both this engine construction and the fuel that's they'll be using.

Audi does as well tho not as recent, but the chassis and aero will be new to them - it might take a while both from a power and performance standpoint and team development.

But - I like to see fresh ideas, I hope they allow some innovation as I think the sport has stagnated some in the last decade or so....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on August 04, 2022, 07:52:02 AM
Interesting that Porsche and Audi are coming into F1 as they are both owned by the VW Group.

I think it's a little weird since they're both hyper-focused on electric road cars and that's not F1.  Seems like Formula E would make more sense.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I think it's the fuel......

Also, I hear Mercedes wants Nick DeVries in the Williams, and since they are the engine supplier they can throw some weight around, much like Ferrari does with HAAS and Alfa....I think Latifi's days are numbered. Truth is I wasn't sure he would finish this season. Still not sure he'll be back after the break.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I thought I read that Williams could be moving to Renault engines next year.

MiniDave

That's the rumor, that's why "loaning" Piastri to them in place of Latifi made sense - keeping him in the family so to speak - the Renault engine deal was part of that. But now that he's jumped ship (if he and the lawyers get that done) and he goes to Big Mac, I don't know if they'll still do it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So, the other shoe has finally dropped - after signing Piastri as a "reserve" driver for 2023, Danny Ricky Bobby has been informed that he will not be driving for Big Mac next year. Once the terms of his release are finalized, Oscar's contract will be updated to full driver status.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-end-ricciardo-deal-piastri-2023/10349014/?fbclid=IwAR0B9Zg-Yc0JCqjx1EFv8z3aO3ayaNzr2O5I7P9OvAJuxC3HrF28Kl1q76Q

Now the only question is will Ricciardo go back to Renault or simply take his many, many, many millions and go home?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And now it's official - Danny Ric's contract was bought out by Big Mac for $15 really large. That clears the way for wondekin Oscar to slide into his seat next season.

Still no word on where Danny will ride next season - or if he will. But he wants to stay in the sport and Renault has said they'd be happy to have him back, so we'll see.

Silly season - on in earnest!

Rumors about that Schumi junior is being courted by several teams - which is a suprise to me but good on him.

Giovanassi is driving for HAAS in the next couple of FP1 sessions - maybe they're bringing him back?

Audi rumors are strong that they have purchased Sauber/ Alfa.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

No surprise, there for Danny Ric.  The writing has been on the wall for a while, wonder if he will do a Kimi and step away for a while and then try and come back.  I do not think he would be a good choice for Renault/Alpine, as he was struggling there before he went to McLaren.  Wonder if we will see him in Indycar next year, he has openly said he loves the US and I believe owns home(s) here. 

Schumi Jr is still a Ferrari Academy driver, so I don't think he will be going anywhere quickly.  Probably some rumors pushed by his management team to allow them to play a little bit of hard ball with Haas.

All teams have to give up one FP1 one practice per car this season, so I don't think Giovanassi driving for them is anything more than Ferrari wanting him to get some 2022 car experience.  I don't see him coming back to F1.

Of the open seats at the moment, I am most interested to see who Alpha Tauri pick for the second seat.  I don't think Yuki has done enough to retain it and if Porsche are doing a deal with Red Bull, could they influence that seat?

Brit_in_TX

But the whole drivers market could be turned on its head if the Contracts Recognition Board determines that Alpine has the contract on Oscar Piastri and they either make him drive or force him to sit out a year. Then both Alpine and McLaren have open seats!

MiniDave

I thought the contracts board already ruled it was OK, and now they're going to civil court over damages?

I'd put money on Oscar being on the F1 grid in an orange car in 2023.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Audi's big announcement came today - sort of. They announced they were in it to win it, but they didn't say who with. Worst kept secret in F1 right now, but even tho they weren't saying which team, Sauber announced Alfa would be leaving as a sponsor at the end of 2023.

Right now they are setting up their power train division in Germany

The power unit will be built at Audi Sport's state-of-the-art Competence Center Motorsport in Neuburg an der Donau, not far from AUDI AG's company headquarters in Ingolstadt. "For the development and manufacture of the Formula 1 power train, we will build on the valuable expertise of our motorsport employees, continue to invest in our motorsports center, and also recruit highly specialized professionals," says Audi Sport Managing Director Julius Seebach, who organized the entry into Formula 1 as part of Audi's realignment of motorsport.

In Neuburg there are already test benches for F1 engine testing as well as for electric motor and battery testing. Additional necessary preparations are currently being made in terms of personnel, buildings, and technical infrastructure, with everything essential to be in place by the end of the year. A separate company was recently founded for the power unit project as a wholly owned subsidiary of Audi Sport. Adam Baker will take over the management of the company and thus the Formula 1 project as CEO. The trained engineer has held various senior positions for manufacturers and teams in motorsport. Before joining Audi in 2021, he worked for the FIA for three years.

They also announced they will withdraw from the LMDh program in favor of F1

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

What....  What the hell is this thing?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Reminds me of Professor Fate's balloon from The Great Race.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

What do you do if you have to take a leak? What if you want a coke or something?

That's a new one on me!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So, after all the engine penalties, Sainz got pole with Checo 2nd

Max was .5 seconds faster than everyone else, so tomorrow's race should prove interesting - especially if it rains! (It's not supposed to, but you never know at Spa)

7 drivers had engine penalties, so it's almost a reverse grid start!

I wonder how they would manage the grid if ALL the drivers had engine penalties?   ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Nice number roundels on the Mercedes cars this race.  Very retro and cool.

Love to see it on all cars, all races going forward.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Red bull is looking more like the Mercedes of the last 8 years every race.....

Mercedes has a terrible qually, but managed to finish well - at least one did. George continues his run of top 5 finishes, and unbelievably, now is only 1 point behind Sainz in the driver's championship.

Sainz got the gift of pole due to engine penalties and held the lead against Perez, even thru the safety car on lap 3 but it was inevitable that Max - who was so much faster - would come thru. The real surprise was seeing LeClerc get hunted down and passed by Russell - in a car that was 1.8/lap sec off in qually. He was really close to getting Sainz too for third but used up his tires trying to get there and had to settle for 4th.

Zandvoort next weekend - Max's home track - but Carlos seems to think they'll have the edge there. I'm not so sure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

Zandvoort is a high down force track, so the advantage may be with the red cars, however the home track for Max may overcome that....if he can see through all the orange smoke out there!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

What was Schumi's record? won 13 of 16?

Max might break that this year......

He won at Zandvoort last year, so I wouldn't bet against him in this one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on August 27, 2022, 08:02:01 AM
What do you do if you have to take a leak? What if you want a coke or something?

That's a new one on me!

It is a bar - those guys in the middle are bartenders.  How you go to the bathroom, I have no idea, i would not stand beneath it!