SOLD: 1991 Rover Mini Cooper

Started by MPlayle, October 10, 2021, 11:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

"Miss Ruby" is going up for sale.  She is a 1991 Rover Mini Cooper.  Suspected to have been a Rover RSP Cooper from the factory.  She has had some body repairs and a slight color change by previous owners.  I am giving a short opportunity here for forum members to consider her before attempting to list her on BaT.

Asking $15500 obo.

Details available upon request.

Jimini II

Based on the black 90's Mini with issues that just sold for $13k on BaT you should be in the ballpark at $15.5k Michael.
Good luck with the sale.

MPlayle

Information for the listing was submitted to BaT for consideration today.  We will see what transpires and keep this thread updated.

MPlayle

Received an email from BaT today indicating they were not accepting my Mini for listing.  It seems curious as it is in at least as good condition as the black 998 that sold there recently.  Perhaps my requesting a reserve made a difference even though it was a very reasonable reserve?

On to other avenues for selling it.

A few more details for those reading about it here:
Asking $15500 (or nearest offer)
1991 Rover Mini Cooper (RHD)
1275cc engine with single HIF44 carb and rod change transmission
Factory Cooper interior
Factory Cooper specific glass sunroof
Upgraded to brushed aluminum and black lacquer finished full width dash - 3-clock gauges in front of driver
Exterior is Knightfire red with dark silver roof, mirrors, and painted on bonnet stripes (car was originally Flame red with white roof - color changed by a previous owner)
Front disk brakes converted to 7.5" Cooper-S style during recent hub replacement (bearings and CV needed replaced) to permit use of 10" wheels (still on factory original 12" wheels with newer tires only two years old - 3119 date codes)
Receipts available for all parts for work done under current ownership
Many more pictures available.
Cold start, walk around, and short drive videos available on youTube:
Cold start:https://youtu.be/ilaDrBLPDWE
Walk around: https://youtu.be/wWAZi26-RkI
Drive: https://youtu.be/kQLhg15KI-o

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on October 15, 2021, 08:51:15 AM
Received an email from BaT today indicating they were not accepting my Mini for listing.  It seems curious as it is in at least as good condition as the black 998 that sold there recently.  Perhaps my requesting a reserve made a difference even though it was a very reasonable reserve?

No. BaT has a very proprietary and sophisticated way of determining which cars to host for auction:
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Bruce,

I think your Y/N wheel is missing some '*' on the 'No' fields - *If car = Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, ... move wheel to next 'Yes'.   :D

BruceK

Haha.

You got me.  It's a fancy flow chart.   ;D

It is crazy that you were a proven Seller on BaT and they treat you like that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I did ask for more details as to why it was declined.  I did reference the black one for comparison.  I'll see if they respond.

Jimini II

That's unfortunate I cannot understand BaT's thinking on this, shame I think it would have done well there.

MPlayle

It also means more digging to find viable places to run ads to sell it.  I do have it up on Mini Mania now, but I think the prospective market audience there has shrunk over recent years.  I don't consider eBay to be a viable outlet.

94touring

I don't go to mania to look at cars anymore either. 

LarryLebel

The name of the site implies their offerings don't need to run. It was a bit snobbish to reject your Mini.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on October 17, 2021, 05:25:37 PM
Cars and Bids maybe?

I have not heard of that site before.  I will check it out for consideration.

vizcat

This is nice. I just got sucked back into this forum after a 9yr hiatus. Back in the market for a mini, although this one is out of my allotted budget. 😞

MiniDave

Welcome back!

Unless you're looking for an absolute project prices have gotten pretty silly. You'd be better served to buy something like this that's already good to go....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I agree with Dave, if you just want something to drive and work on occasionally this is likely as good a deal as your going to find in the current market. Wish I had the extra cash laying around as I'd love to have one a little less vintage that I could just drive around in more.

MPlayle

Miss Ruby is sold and on her way to her new home back in Florida.

The new owner saw it in my posting on Mini Mania.  He had a quarterly business meeting in Houston, so drove to it instead of flying and drove over to San Antonio yesterday afternoon after his meeting.  He thoroughly checked out the car yesterday and stayed over to think about it and see the Boerne British Car show today.  At the car show he indicated he did ineed want it, so we negotiated the price where we were both happy.  He went and rented a Uhaul car hauler and met me back at my apartment after the show and we exchanged car and paperwork for cash.  I helped him load it and off he went.

Now to work harder on getting the next one(s) on the way to me.

94touring

MiniDave

He had that much cash on him? He was def planning to take it home! Good work on the sale.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Really dangerous traveling with a lot of cash.  Unscrupulous law enforcement officers have been known to seize it as possible "drug money" under false pretenses and without any evidence other than it being a lot of cash.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: 94touring on October 23, 2021, 03:24:47 PM
Glad that worked out.
Well that was pretty quick and painless, well done Michael.
Have you got your eyes on another one yet?
EDIT: I just seen your other post with the Van.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MPlayle on October 15, 2021, 08:51:15 AM

I follow a variety of people on instagram and a couple have complained in the last few months that they have had submission to BaT rejected, one was a highly modified and well presented overland Land Cruiser and trailer, the other was well presented muscle car (I forget which one).  The cynic in me thinks that you need to select the "premium" package to get in.