Mk1 help

Started by Willie_B, September 16, 2021, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

As I do not have any experience with mk1's there are things I am not sure how they go.
Start with the tabs for the mustache end trim pieces. Which way do they mount? Screw/bolt or rivet on? Then once on how does the trim piece go on?
The FE body tag was removed before painting, where should it be?
This has the oil pressure and water temp gauges mounted to a metal panel to the front of the speedo. Then a very flimsy center dash binnacle goes over that. Unsure of how the wiring for the dimmer switch and signal switch gets inside there.

cstudep

On my 60 the FE tag is right above the vin tag.

The mustache clips are supposed to be riveted on I believe (not that a small screw would not work as well) and seems like there are 3 of them on each side? Maybe just 2? Been a long time since I put them back on mine.

MPlayle

Brad,

It has been a while since I "played" with a MK-I, so I may be mistaken in some of the information below.

Clips/tabs: The flat sits against the body and the opening goes toward the whisker.  I have heard of them mounted to the body by both tiny sheet metal screws and rivets.  The opening is meant to be act as a "spring clip" and the whisker pressed or snapped over them.

FE tag: I seem to recall it usually being spot welded to the inner fender just above the radiator shroud.

Dimmer and signal switch wiring: I seem to recall the bullet ends shown in your picture going down a grommet hole in the parcel/dash shelf to the space underneath the shelf and above the heater (behind the toggle switch and key switch panel).  The other "pig tails" from the dimmer switch and the turn signal & horn connect under the dash.  If RHD, the dimmer is just to the right of the center tunnel.  The "pig tail" from the dimmer runs up the toe board in line with the tunnel and behind the heater to mate with the feeds coming down through the grommet.  If LHD, the dimmer is at the left wheel well and uses a longer "pig tail" that runs up the toe board at the far left and then across under the dash.

Willie_B

On the wiring, when the plastic binnacle is installed there is not a place for the wiring to exit that. It only has a cutout to go over the center in the back area, nothing on the side for wires shown.

tmsmini

Pretty sure the wires go through the center hole in the parcel shelf at the front(of car) of the binnacle. Above the heater in a sedan or wagon.
But this is a moke? so not sure...

Willie_B

This is for a woody I am trying to finish a stalled restore.

94touring

You in the restoration business now?  I got some cars to send to you!

Brit_in_TX

If you have guidance on how to look after the wood on a woody, I am all ears. 

I have just purchased a woody.

Willie_B

No idea on the wood care. Hopefully all sides were sealed before install. Then touch up any exposed wood with whatever clear finish was used.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on September 17, 2021, 02:17:23 PM
No idea on the wood care. Hopefully all sides were sealed before install. Then touch up any exposed wood with whatever clear finish was used.

I had a brand new full Mini wood kit I was going to install on my '65 "tin wagon", but I never got around to it. Decided I like the all-metal look better.  Anyway, I researched how to best finish the ash trim on Mini estates.  There were two schools of thought:  1) stick to high-quality marine varnish for the traditional warmth of the look and be prepared to refinish it every so many years, or 2) get with modern times and use a good high quality urethane finish and coat it and forget it.   

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on Morris Minor woody discussion forums...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Pics of wiring on my mk1 from engine bay with wiring and center gauge cluster mounted and underneath parcel shelf.  If needed I can pull the panel out tomorrow and get you detailed pics of switch connections.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

Thanks gr8kornholio, guess I need to crawl around the dash to find that large center hole. Hope there is room for two more small harnesses to get thru it.

gr8kornholio

That hole is seen easiest from the engine bay side.  It's nearly right at the edge.  It was tight with all the under dash wires going through it but looks like even on mine there is still some room.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.