Stubborn sticker removal

Started by Mudhen, July 01, 2021, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Yo gents...and you too, Jim!   ;D

How's everyone doing over here?  Survived Covid apparently?

I recently picked up an '02 R53 (we have 6 now!) - and it had an extremely faded roof sticker on it.  I used a heat gun and managed to get it removed, but the stickyness remains.  No amount of Goo Gone will get it off.  I tried a dryer sheet soaked in water, no deals...haven't tried WD40 - any silver bullets???  I'm almost thinking I'm going to need to sand the stupid roof off and repaint it.   50.gif

What have you all been up to?!?!?  Hope everyone is doing well and putting the last year behind them.

Pat

94touring

If goo gone doesn't do it then I don't know what will, without taking off the paint too.

John Gervais

Since this is a newer car with modern paint, will 'white spirits' such as Coleman Fuel or Zippo lighter fluid damage the paint?
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

ADRay

I'd try some lacquer thinner. Wash it like you normally would, and before drying it, soak a cloth with lacquer thinner and scrub like hell. Try plastic squeegee or plastic bottle cap if the glue gets soft but it's still sticking to the car. Keep continually rinsing it with water too.

That's how I learned to remove bumper stickers and vinyl lettering glue back in the detailing days. I can't remember if I tried it on my roof decal bc I was having it repainted anyway.

Let me know how you make out
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

bikewiz

Quote from: ADRay on July 02, 2021, 05:37:00 AM
I'd try some lacquer thinner. Wash it like you normally would, and before drying it, soak a cloth with lacquer thinner and scrub like hell. Try plastic squeegee or plastic bottle cap if the glue gets soft but it's still sticking to the car. Keep continually rinsing it with water too.

That's how I learned to remove bumper stickers and vinyl lettering glue back in the detailing days. I can't remember if I tried it on my roof decal bc I was having it repainted anyway.

Let me know how you make out

As AD says laquer thinner. We use it removing stickers and such on bikes all the time.

Jimini II

I have used the wheel before and it works well, just throw it away when it gets worn and pick up a new one as there is a metal base in the bottom of it ask my detailer how he knows.
Then just laquer thinner but don't get aggressive with it, if stuff still remains compound with a buffer then seal it with a wax.