Exhaust bobbins broke ...

Started by John Gervais, June 11, 2021, 03:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I noticed today when trying to eliminate or reduce the 'creaking' rear anti-sway bar that my alleged 'heavy duty' Maniflow rear bobbins had sheared and my rear box was essentially just danglin' in the breeze.

So now I'm wondering - what's everybody else using at the rear to hold your rear silencer and tailpipe in place?

I'm toying with the idea of cutting the remaining stud from the rubber block, drilling through the rubber and fitting a bolt through the rubber.  This will allow the rubber to dampen vibrations, and having the bolt running through will prevent shearing the rubber block in the same way that the MiniSpares middle exhaust mounting (C-19G3257) is constructed.
- Pave the Bay -

Willie_B

Do you have a hanger at the front of the rear subframe? That helps carry the load.

John Gervais

Yes, I'm using the MiniSpares C-19G3257 competition middle mount.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I think your idea will work ok, use a nylock nut so you don't squish the bobbins down too much A shoulder bolt would be even better but might transmit vibrations....

It doesn't seem like they should shear unless there's force acting on them, and not just the weight of the muffler. I've had those on my car for 5 years now and never broken one so maybe just go back with another set?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I had a spare set so I put them on, but it sure was weird that they'd both broken off.

I think I'll play with the stumps and see if I can't drill them out, slap a washer on each side and see what happens.
- Pave the Bay -