Classic Minis United - APRIL 6-9 2022 - Wytheville Va

Started by jedduh01, June 07, 2021, 06:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedduh01

Greetings!

Today I had a friend inquire to me about the NEXT CMU event =  April  6-9  - Wytheville VA.

HOWEVER , I was clueless =  the email from Mike G  went right into my Spam box .  Please check yours,   I kind of wanted to ask here if others within the club listing had the same happen. I'm letting Mike G know it happened to me.

CMU Website is being updated with info: - Same setup / style of event planned, but can at least get on the ideas for next year!

Here is also the email included here.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Dear CMU members,

I hope everybody is doing well and made it through this nightmare safely! We are hopefully nearing the final stages, thanks to the vaccine. There has been no need to email the club since the Mini 60 as we kept moving the next event forward. With the vaccine out and working, we can now announce our next BIG event. How big?!?! Well, considering everybody will have been staring at their Minis for about 2 years, and that the club has grown by about 100 members (Welcome new members!) just within a short days drive of the event, we hope to have a record attendance! We will be returning to our favorite KOA in Wytheville, VA on April 6th-9th. Save the dates, and if you are going to stay at the KOA, book your spot ASAP. I will email everybody when the website is updated with the event and the host hotel is set. This email is just to get the date out and book up the KOA before others take the spots. Thanks to Covid, a lot of people have gone outdoors and campgrounds fill up fast way in advance, so book soon.

The title of this event is ReUnited. It will be an amazing reunion as it will be GREAT to see everybody again! As with all of our events, it will be three days of fun mountain drives with fun things to do at night at the KOA. It will all be listed on the website. But if you like driving your Mini, like mountains and twisty roads, like hanging out around a campfire, like being around the best group of Mini peeps, then start your planning now.

Note, as we obviously have no idea now of the virus conditions next April, we will be following the CDC guidelines. As people will be coming from many States, that will be considered as well. We will be as safe as possible. Be aware, that could include mandatory vaccinations and masks, but we won't know until it's close to April. Hopefully life will be back to normal by then!!!!!!

To book the KOA (Do it soon!) call 276-228-2601. Tell them it's for the Mini event. If there is any confusion, ask for Allyson, she's awesome. Here is the website: https://koa.com/campgrounds/wytheville

The following prices are our discounted prices and include tax. The deposit equals one night. The total is based on 4 nights, but you can stay as short or long as you want. All of the prices include two adults and two children. There is a fee of $10/additional adult and $5/additional child. Children under 5 camp free. If you hurry, there might be a cottage left!!!!RV- all sites have 50 and 30 amp hookups, fire pits and picnic tables, cable and WiFi   Full hook up pull thru- $196.84 (deposit $49.21) These sites are located around the office and in the woods.   Lower full hookup back in- $196.84 (deposit $49.21) These sites are our latest additions. They are located behind of the Family Fun Center   Full hookup pull thru patio- $218.84 (deposit $54.71) These sites are located behind the Family Fun Center. They are built to accommodate larger RVs. Each has a concrete patio. Satellite friendly.     Full hookup back in patio- $218.84 (deposit $54.71)  These sites are located behind the Family Fun Center and back up to our fishing pond. They are built to accommodate larger RVs. Each has a concrete patio. Satellite friendly.   Deluxe full hookup back in patio- $240.64 (deposit $60.16) These sites are located across from the swimming pool. They are paved. There is a concrete patio, grill and covered swing. There is shade at these sites.Cottages- all have a full kitchen and bathroom, grill, firepit, heat/air, cable and WiFi. Linens are not provided. Pets allowed, pet fee $10/night.   Deluxe Cottage- $453.72 (deposit $113.43) SLEEPS 4
   2 available. Bathroom, bedroom with queen size bed and television, living room area with a futon and full kitchen.Cabins- all have a grill, firepit, heat/air, mini fridge, cable and WiFi. Linens are not provided. Pets allowed, pet fee $10/night. Located next to a bathhouse.   Couples Cabin- $284.24 (deposit $71.06) SLEEPS 2
   2 available. Queen size bed.   2 Room Cabin- $309.26 (deposit $77.34) SLEEPS 6
   4 available. One room has queen size bed, second room has two sets of bunk beds.   1 Room Cabin- $265.60 (deposit $66.40) SLEEPS 4
   3 available. Queen size bed and one set of bunk beds.TENTS- all have a firepit and picnic table   Tent, no hookups- $121.20 (deposit $30.30) These sites are located at the top of the campground in the woods. Very shaded and close to a bathhouse.   Tent, water and electric hookups- $134.32 (Deposit $33.58) These tent sites are located at the front of the campground, by the office. Shaded and close to a bathhouse. 
Be safe! We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible in the beautiful Virginia mountains with a gaggle of classic Minis!

Mini regards,

Mike Guido
Classic Minis United
Mini Sport USA

MiniDave

I did not get the email either, and I checked my spam filter and files to make sure - nothing there.

Looking at those prices - that's per night?

Seems pretty high................just sayin.

I'm ready to get my CMU fix again, so I'll have it on my calendar.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I got the email this morning just fine, it did not end up in my spam mail.

I think those prices are for the total not per night, based on "The deposit equals one night. The total is based on 4 nights," So basically if I understand it correctly the numbers in the ( ) would basically be the per night cost. Which if you have ever booked a camping spot in a popular camp ground those numbers seem pretty close to what I would expect. You can darn near get a cheap hotel room for what you can get a campsite for in some places.

MiniDave

OK, I was looking at tent spots for $128 a night and thinking that seemed a little extreme.....I'll stay at the host hotel again like I did last time, although this KOA is one of the biggest, nicest ones, especially if you're bringing kids along.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Yeah $128 a night for a tent spot would be a little extreme to say the least!

Jimini II

I got my email OK.
I booked an RV spot and will take the Toy Hauler with a Mini inside.
They expanded the site and put 4 or 5 more cabins in plus down behind the metal building they put some larger RV spots with paved patios.
Its nice to use the campground and be right there but even with the CMU discount can be expensive unless you share a cabin, if Mike G uses the same Hotels they are both down the street and close by.
With Covid over the last 18 months RV sales along with boat sales have gone through the roof and campground prices have too.

Fastclown

The CMU website has been updated with the event. It's complete minus registration that we will do in a couple of months. Go to www.classicminis.org

The KOA prices noted are for 4 nights, not one. The deposit is the one night price. You can stay as many nights as you want at that price, you don't have to stay/pay for all four.

See ya in April!!!!

Mike

MiniDave

OK, now that my green Mini is running again, I think I'll be ready for the CMU event in April - I should have more than enough break-in miles on it by then.

Don is planning to drive down in his Pup - I'm undecided at this point whether to drive or tow - but we're definitely planning to go. If there's anyone else going from around here we can meet up and caravan down together.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Registration is now open for this event, get your money in before Feb 28 and save $15!

http://www.classicminis.org/mini63registration.htm

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Ready to hit the road in the AM.

Weather promises to be "interesting", supposed to be raining all the way to St. Louis, then maybe rain all the way to Louisville too, where we'll stop Tues night. Wed and Thurs are supposed to be nice, but Fri and Sat cool and rainy.

The pisser is the whole next week is supposed to be sunny and low 70's!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Loading on the tow dolly. First time using it. A bit more involved than flat towing. 

BruceK

Safe travels guys! 

Looking forward to photos and stories from your trips and of course at the CMU event.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tmsmini

Yes, safe travels and looking forward to reports.
I would love to do this one day, but the distance is great.

jedduh01

Packing my wares now = hooked up the Tow Bar to prepare.

I have a small pile of items for the 'swap' meet... most will be free / cash in a bucket if you're guilty about taking.  Only bringing one mini to simplify my life..  will be good to see old friends again!  its been a LONG time!

Flat towing myself up tomorrow. with my buddy Cole...

He has a visitor now that drove his mini straight last night from Carillon TX to Charlotte.. is headed to Wytheville , Va today too.

NOW I'm feeling bad not driving 2 hrs straight / 3.5 hrs back roads to Wytheville.

Very happy this is in my "backyard!"

MiniDave

Today was a good driving day for me and Don in his Pup. The Pup ran flawlessly, no overheating, no drinking water, just cruised.....

We timed it perfectly - there was a massive storm rolling thru KC and another one from St. Louis on....both storms were moving north east and we were going south east, so we were in between storms and had mostly clear skies the whole way. Tomorrow morning promises to be a different story as the rain is supposed to start around 7 and last thru the morning....however, as we're heading east then due south I think we will eventually run out from under it......we'll see.

My car also ran fine, no issues at all.

We'll see you all tomorrow afternoon!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: jedduh01 on April 05, 2022, 10:21:44 AM
  He has a visitor now that drove his mini straight last night from Carillon TX to Charlotte.. is headed to Wytheville , Va today too.

I saw that on instagram that he had driven the mini from Texas.  Respect to the guy for doing that, not sure I would a) have the confidence in either of my minis to drive that far or b) able to get rid of the headache after 2 days of driving on highways in the mini!

BruceK

Regarding distance driving, I created a poll several days ago on the Facebook page of the Classic Minis of Texas group. 

The question posed was:
"Just curious. If your Mini is currently in running condition how far of a drive are you comfortable/confident taking it?"

I was kind of shocked by the results. 

Only 32 people responded (out of 127 people who saw the poll) and this is how the voted:

- 53% (17 out of 32) voted for one of the choices that basically indicated they would limit their driving to under one hour in their Minis.  One person voted just around the neighborhood no further.

- 47% (15 out of 32) voted indicating they would travel 4+ hours, or even an overnight trip driving their Minis.

I did not anticipate that more than half of the Mini owners responding were either fearful of driving them more than 1 hour or perhaps didn't trust the reliability of their cars?  Or maybe there's some other explanation? 

Also, while no one is compelled to participate in a poll, only 25% of those who saw the poll asking about driving a currently running car provided an answer. Could that mean roughly 75% (or even maybe a simple majority) of the cars owned by members of the group are not currently roadworthy?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

This is my first time using my tow dolly. So I don't have a routine set yet. Got the mini loaded no problems. Hit the road early this morning. After about 10 miles a couple of folks blew their horn at me, then a guy flashed his lights. Ok, something must be up so find a place with room to pull over to check it out. It seems I forgot to release the parking brake, so much for that tire.

MiniDave

We've had generally good luck on our drive so far, Don managed to get us timed right between the heavy rainstorms that were moving thru the areas we drove thru....the worst we got a light sprinkle this morning as we left Louisville.

No problems, nothing broken....so far so good.

I saw that Texas Mini - nice car - sort of orange metallic?

Tiffany Holt is here with her Vtec Mini from Dallas too.

The organizers say 45 cars have checked in so far....so, a good sized group given the Covid/vax issues.

I noticed the runs are the same as the ones we did last time, so good roads, We're just hopeful for good weather, but there's a chance of snow on Sat!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Glad y'all are having fun.  Bruce, must of missed your poll. Of course I would have been one of the inoperable ones.  Should have steering wheel back soon to remedy that.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on April 06, 2022, 03:49:34 PM
Regarding distance driving, I created a poll several days ago on the Facebook page of the Classic Minis of Texas group. 

The question posed was:
"Just curious. If your Mini is currently in running condition how far of a drive are you comfortable/confident taking it?"

I was kind of shocked by the results. 

Only 32 people responded (out of 127 people who saw the poll) and this is how the voted:

- 53% (17 out of 32) voted for one of the choices that basically indicated they would limit their driving to under one hour in their Minis.  One person voted just around the neighborhood no further.

- 47% (15 out of 32) voted indicating they would travel 4+ hours, or even an overnight trip driving their Minis.

I did not anticipate that more than half of the Mini owners responding were either fearful of driving them more than 1 hour or perhaps didn't trust the reliability of their cars?  Or maybe there's some other explanation? 

Also, while no one is compelled to participate in a poll, only 25% of those who saw the poll asking about driving a currently running car provided an answer. Could that mean roughly 75% (or even maybe a simple majority) of the cars owned by members of the group are not currently roadworthy?

I did respond with 4+ hours.

It could also be down to individuals risk tolerance.  I was going to comment on your post, that one reason I will do that is I have AAA coverage.  Also I have a different view when I am on my own vs a group, as having an issue with a group of other mini owners there is support. 

I towed my mini to the event in Kerrville last year, as I was not super confident in its reliability and it meant I could get home reasonably easily. 

MiniDave

Our drive this morning varied from wet to very wet, so we moderated our pace somewhat. This afternoon it's sunny and warm, but we don't have any more drives today.

Tomorrow's drive looks like it will also be wet, then turning to snow tomorrow evening!

Should be interesting.....I did some in car video, but between the noise my car makes and the wipers going back and forth, it's not much fun to watch.

Pic is from our mid day stop - way more cars are here, they just parked somewhere else as this was our lunch break.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

My day ended about 15 miles in when I started blowing thick smoke when on the gas hard. Cruise back to the campground. See coolant across the front of the head so suspect a head gasket.