Leveling out a mini with Hi-Lo's

Started by KingpenM3, January 29, 2021, 01:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingpenM3

Looking for some tips on putting in some Hi-lo's. (See mini below) I barely even know what I really have, but to the best of my guesses I have a '74ish (based on VIN) mini with 90's or so rebuilt 1275 (based on engine code). The car has a pretty solid 'bachelor lean'. So I figure I will go ahead and replace the cones (I'm sure are old and possibly original) and get everything right again. Well I'm under the car the other day, decide to feel up into the cone chamber and find a damn red spring dangling around inside of there! (picture of one of the rears below) I mean nothing else seems to have been changed on this car, yet I've got some cone replacement springs in there, that look pretty damn new. So skip the debate on cones vs springs, I just figure I'll run with the spring setup. But that doesn't explain the lean, I guess the chassis is just that worn??

New plan, new shocks and some hi-lo's and see if I can get it straight. So any stance advice? I just want the car to ride as well as I can get it. Should I level it will some weight in the driver's seat to compensate for driver? Just random thoughts. Anything else I'm just not thinking about? Or any information (year wise) about the car that I should know?  TIA.

MiniDave

Measure on the seam that runs below the door. Back end 1/2" higher than front - driver's side 1/4" higher than passenger is a good starting point.

I think the car I just did turned out to be 9 1/2" back, 9" front measured at that seam - but I don't like them slammed, I like to leave some wheel gap so the suspension has room to work.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

KingpenM3

MPlayle

Usually, those springs are paired with Hi-Los to begin with.  Your rears appear to be still with the original trumpets.  Check your fronts as well to see what is in there.

The steel coil springs are "single rate" springs, whereas the rubber cones are "progressive rate" springs.  The steel springs have been known to fracture as well - especially if they are loose when the suspension is at full droop.

If the steel coils are in good shape, installing a set of Hi-Los and adjusting as Dave recommends should have them under just sufficient pressure to keep them in place at full droop.

Personally, I prefer the rubber cones.

MiniDave

I agree with Michael, you should have adjusters on those springs, and I believe they are of a different design than the ones that go on rubber cones.

My 2ยข is it depends on where and how you drive. those springs have been known to fracture it's true. But.....I did 25K miles on a set with no issues on Buzz, my previous Mini Estate.

My preferred choice these days are the Smooth a Ride cones from Mini Sport, but that's because I'm not interested in being beat to death when driving my Mini!   ;D

Their kit comes with the adjusters, but it also includes their rear camber/toe adjusters and a set of shocks. The shocks look pretty wimpy to me - especially the fronts - but they may be just fine.

Like I said, it depends on what you do with your car. Most of the guys on here really drive their cars and put significant yearly mileage on them.

MiniSpares has a new option for cones too, supposed to be an uprated longer life "normal" ride cone, might be worth looking into.....but if you decide to keep those springs, be sure to add the adjusters.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Hercplt

Quote from: KingpenM3 on January 29, 2021, 01:16:48 PM
.... So skip the debate on cones vs springs, I just figure I'll run with the spring setup. But that doesn't explain the lean, I guess the chassis is just that worn??

If the trumpets are non adjustable with those springs... and its still leaning.... maybe look at all the knuckle joints?  The plastic cup that the end of the trumpet fits into on the radius arm or the front suspension arm can wear out and cause a lean to one side.  Thats my guess...

Nice looking Mini otherwise!!  77.gif
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!