Electronic Speedo Sensor

Started by tmsmini, January 11, 2021, 10:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Any one know the difference in speedo gears post 1980?
One of the sensors we have been using is acting up.
Both Mini Spares and Digital Speedos have two:
Add Classic Mini Gearbox Adapter (3 Wire) (Mini Gearbox Year: Pre 1980) ( $44.89)  (More Info)
Add Classic Mini Gearbox Adapter (3 Wire) (Mini Gearbox Year: Post 1980) ( $44.89)  (More Info)

I have swapped gears around to match the 3.1 FD originally. When I look at the speedo gears I have I do not see any differences, maybe they are all pre-80.

I sent an email to MiniSpares as well.

MPlayle

The difference as I recall is the shape of the drive for the speedometer cable.  The transmission end of the speedometer cable was a slightly different shape/size for pre-1980 and post-1980 cars.

When I did the electronic speedometer for the Moke, I also had issues with the pulse sender(s) not working right.  I had two primary problems: a) even though I ordered the right sender style for my transmission drive, they did not fit well; b) they did not provide a consistent and proper output signal to the speedometer.

I chose to switch to the GPS sender instead and had no further issues other than satellite acquisition time being affected by heavy overcast days.

tmsmini

I had to gently file the post in the adapter to get it to fit correctly. Plus there seems to be some variation in the speedo gear tolerances.

It looks like may be they have improved the adapter.

Quick response from Spares with pictures:
Good evening.

Our sensors are Dakota. Your sensor with the wrapped end is our GSD1000. And the other unwrapped is our GSD1001. I have attached some pictures for you.

Dave Howarth
Sale / Technical Adviser

tmsmini

This one lasted for 10 K miles. I think what happened is the two piece adapter worked slightly loose and the sensor was spinning off center at some point which resuted in it failing. Won't know for sure until I replace it.