Author Topic: 998 Automatic #2 Rebuild  (Read 2903 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: 998 Automatic #2 Rebuild
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
Yep, I send him updates from time to time....

I don't have the dizzy and a few other small bits yet, but I have enough old parts I can use to run the engine......I may get it running later today between T-Storms.

If not it's supposed to all clear out by tomorrow afternoon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:18:01 AM by MiniDave »
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2021, 08:02:45 PM »
It's ready to run, all wired up, gassed up and so on, however I found late tonight that the choke isn't working correctly - so I guess I'll have to take the linkage apart and see what's up......I need to modify it anyway so the kick down link will work....I'm starting to wonder if this is actually the carb I sent to Joe Curto or if the reason I got such a quick turnaround is that he swapped it for one he already had done?

I'll take a good hard look at it tomorrow.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
Today I fired up the 998 Automatic that's going into the Pup, I had to mess with the kickdown link quite a bit to make it bend around the header pipe and function correctly, but it came good in the end.

I started this engine, let it warm up to 140* and retorqued the head and checked the valves, then fired it up again and ran it for 20 min at 2K fast idle. It sounds really smooth and idles nicely with good oil pressure. Ran cool too, only about 165 but it's only about 60* today so that probably affected it some.

I'll let it cool down overnight, then retorque the head again and do a final setting of the valve lash, then fire it up again, and fine tune the timing and carb, then it will be ready to go.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2021, 06:07:01 PM »
It was so cool out today that the engine was dead cold this afternoon, so I checked the head torque again (it didn't pull down any further) and rechecked the valves, and found a couple of loose ones.

So I fired it up again and let it warm up - put oil in the top of the carb that I had forgotten to do, then once it was fully warmed up I set the mixture a little better and it runs and idles sweetly now.

Done and done.

All that's left is to drain the water out.....I may let him add coolant later as I have a feeling this one might sit for a while before it's run again. Or I might go ahead and charge it with coolant......we'll see.

I do need to get yet some more oil for it - there's 8 quarts in it now and I think it needs another 1 1/2!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2021, 02:57:09 PM »
If you all remember, I was concerned this engine might run hot because of all the debris and rust I had to dig out of the head and the block that was blocking all the water passages, luckily it looks like that won't be a concern after all, it never went above 170 on my test stand!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad