SC Small Block Supercharger

Started by tmsmini, December 12, 2020, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Looks like SC is developing a 998 based supercharger kit. They are testing with EFI, but looks like it would work with a carb. Interesting placemnt of the charger
https://www.facebook.com/441656335284/posts/10164509164765285/

cstudep

That looks like a really tidy layout. I have really been admiring their 5 port alloy head which appears to be the same price as the iron version if you don't have a 12g940 casting to exchange. Also love their 7 port head but it's considerably more expensive. The alloy version also saves nearly 1/3 of the weight at the top of the motor which is always a plus. If a guy has to buy a head outright, I am not sure why you wouldn't go with one of the aluminum varieties these days.

Their complete throttle body kit looks really nice as well if a guy was going to be going with a more advanced FI solution.

MiniDave

Why would anyone want to spend this kind of money on a small block?

I do know a guy who put a Vmax supercharger on his 998 and is very happy with it.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on December 12, 2020, 10:07:10 AM

Maybe because small blocks are a bit easier to find - most of the 1275s are already snapped up?

It is my understanding that the costs to modify 1275s and 998s are basically the same.  It seems to boil down to desired final output targets and block availability.

Then again, I may be grasping at straws and be way off base.

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on December 12, 2020, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on December 12, 2020, 10:07:10 AM

Maybe because small blocks are a bit easier to find - most of the 1275s are already snapped up?

It is my understanding that the costs to modify 1275s and 998s are basically the same.  It seems to boil down to desired final output targets and block availability.

Then again, I may be grasping at straws and be way off base.

I think that's about right.  You can turn 998s into 100hp motors with a small turbo kit.  1098s built up into a 1220 produces a torquey motor far better than a stock 1275.

gr8kornholio

Devils advocate here. What would it cost to have a built a series compared to a Honda conversion?   Thoughts/arguments?   I know the 7 ent. 1380 in mine is like 8/9 grand.  You can find a Honda d series in a Cracker Jack box.  Now I know the conversion has to be done right or you end up with issues like Don did. 

Maybe that's a good comparison. Dons d series vs Dans a series.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

John McGee says a DIY D series runs around $9 -12K in parts.

That's why I'm torn about what I want to do with my project car - I doubt I could do an Ecoboost any cheaper than that.

If I did a really high performance A series - could the transmission hold up to the torque?

If I did an A series that could compete with a D series, it would need a 5 speed gearbox, a turbo or supercharger and plenty of performance work in the head and rest of the motor.

If I did a D series, I'd need to buy a subframe (or build one) and quite a bit of other bits - and fabrication - exhaust and on and on.

I can't decide which way to go either
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

A 998 at 15psi intercooled with a good head and exhaust would make similar power to a D series.
I wonder what their SC can put out for pressure?
Turbo stuff is fun to set up and tune as well don't oversize the turbo and it'll run strong off the line.

As far as putting money into smaller engines why not often times they are more bulletproof than larger versions. Easier/cheaper to come by. Keeping them cool is less of a burden on the cooling system. And it's just plain fun having a 998 outrun bigger stuff. And fuel mileage is when cruising is often better with the smaller engines not that we care about that but it's a nice side effect.

Not mini but about 1.5 years ago we put a t4 turbo on a full-size gmc pickup with a 4.3 v6.
Everyone said why not just put an ls in it blah blah blah I'm sick of everything getting an ls.
So we swapped the ECM with a later 0411 gm ECM put larger injectors in installed the turbo and intercooler set the boost at 14psi. Installed a wide band and started with a base tune from black bear and data looged for about 100 miles and retuned a couple times to dial it in.

The truck runs amazing is tuned perfectly puts same power to the wheels that a 5.3 ls has at the crank easily outruns a v8 version of the truck. And the owner averaged close to 30 mpg on an 800-mile road trip recently. He always liked the mpg of the truck but hills and passing were not going to happen now it never shifts out of overdrive just watch the boost gauge climb to about 3 psi on the hills and she pulls the hills in OD at 75. The rest of the truck is still bone stock with 120k miles so I imagine the 4l60e will be needing a rebuild soon but it's all working great for now.