F1 - 2021

Started by MiniDave, December 01, 2020, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

To start next seasons news off....

Russian Formula 2 driver Nikita Mazepin will step up and make his Formula 1 debut with Haas next season after signing a multi-year contract with the American team.

Can't blame HAAS for signing this guy, not only is he a good driver, but he brings a TON of rubles with him......of course that had nothing to do with signing him wink wink, nudge, nudge.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So they'll be two Russian drivers in Formula One now? And zero Americans? It's an outrage I tell you it's an outrage!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

And now the Mick has been signed at HAAS for 2021 too....

So, what seats are still open for Perez? I think the only thing left is one at Red Bull (unlikely as they like to bring drivers up from their own program rather than hire from outside) and maybe AlphaTauri? (same problem)

Williams has Russell locked up for another season - although I really think they should bounce Bottas  - or maybe a dealer trade - Bottas back to Williams and Russel to Mercedes.

I would really like to see Hamilton retire at the end of this season, but I don't think his ego will let him not get that 8th title so he can say he's better than Schumacher.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Speaking of Russell, he's replacing Hamilton for this coming race.  It would be really interesting to interview him to learn what he thinks of driving the Mercedes.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Most of the drivers are settled for next year, even HAAS has a whole new crew, something I think they should have done a couple seasons ago, but at any rate it will definitely be a big change for them.

Mercedes is still up in the air right now, Boughtass still has a contract for 2021 but we all know how much that means in F1!

The Hamster's contract is still in the works but I think it will still be him and Valteri next year - but they could surprise us. In fact, if they win in 2021 will they still compete after that with the F1 landscape changing so much, Wolf leaving and so on?

Ferrari is supposed to have regained all the HP F1 took away and this year will once again have the power to compete, it remains to be seen if they will have the chassis, organization, strategy and everything else it takes to win in F1 but it would be nice to see them competitive again.

Other teams are on the rise too, both Renault and McLaren have shown huge improvement - I don't know what to think with Racing Point/Aston Martin next season. neither Stroll nor Vettel are impressing right now, maybe a new season will help them both - don't know.

So, who's left?

AlphaTauri has a new driver in Tsunoda to pair up with Gasly - who also showed real improvement in the second half of the season.

HAAS has the two newbies - bad boy Nikita and golden boy Schumi junior. should be a really interesting season for them, especially at the start - a head strong German and a bad little rich boy Russian? Explosive combination there.....

They only get 1 1/2 days of testing this year.....I think that's ridiculous but that's how it is..... 

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And that one event could send ripples all thru the rest of the calendar, with one possible (probable?) outcome being the cancelation of the Australian GP - again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I think it will be the first of a number of cancellations.

MiniDave

Since Lewis is unemployed, I think it would be fun to have him and George do a dealer trade, and put Russel
in the Mercedes and the Hamster in the Williams! Let's see if it's the driver or the car.... 8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So, Lewis is still unemployed and the new revised schedule has been revised again....now the Aussie race is in November, there are three triple header races in the second half, and still a couple of maybe/maybe nots on the calendar. A couple of tracks that really resonated with the drivers are not on the schedule - yet - Portimao and Turkey for example, but it's very possible they may be before the season is over. Another player possibly coming back back from the dead is Korea!

I think the race in Vietnam is a dead issue, as is (probably) the government guy backing it, as he was arrested for corruption and spending money on stuff he shouldn't have - like an F1 race, and he hasn't been seen or heard from for a while.....

Teams are complaining about the cost of doing 23 races this year - both in actual cash - and wear and tear on crews - but then I think about Nascar doing 36 races a season, almost all of them on consecutive weekends - although admittedly they don't fly around the world.

So Far:

March 28, Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 18, Italy (Imola*)
May 2, TBA
May 9, Spain (Barcelona)
May 23, Monaco (Monaco)
June 6, Azerbaijan (Baku)
June 13, Canada (Montreal)
June 27, France (Le Castellet)
July 4, Austria (Spielberg)
July 18, United Kingdom (Silverstone)
August 1, Hungary (Budapest)
August 29, Belgium (Spa)
September 5, Netherlands (Zandvoort)
September 12, Italy (Monza)
September 26, Russia (Sochi)
October 3, Singapore (Singapore)
October 10, Japan (Suzuka)
Octobe4, 24, USA (Austin)
October 31, Mexico (Mexico City)
November 7, Brazil (Sao Paulo)
November 12, Australia (Melbourne*)
December 5, Saudi Arabia (Jeddah**)
December 12, Abu Dhabi (Yas Island)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So Lewis finally signed a contract with Mercedes - key points - the $$$ amount was not disclosed, but the interesting thing is that it's only for one year. He was asking for a multi- year deal.

I think they want to keep him driving for them even as George waits in the wings.

It's also interesting that he reportedly did not get the teammate veto he wanted, which leaves an opening for Verstappen to drive for them in 2022.

So the grid is mostly set now, all the revolving doors have stopped turning and everyone found a seat except those who were shoved out early like the boys at HAAS. HAAS says they won't be developing their car at all this year, so watch for little Nikita and Mick to be going at it around the back of the grid every race.

So.....

Will this be another Mercedes walkoff?

Ferrari doesn't seem to thrilled with their current package either.

McLaren is hopeful of some wins with their new Merc engines, but who knows if they got it right? Williams hasn't exactly set the grid on fire with their Merc engines.

And what of Renault/alpine? Will Ocon rise to the top, or will Fred kick his ass all season?

Vettel in the Force India/Racing Point/Aston Martin....will he show Lance the way to go or fall back into his old ways? (Well, his old ways lately anyway)

Could be interesting, could be yet another year where we watch the Mercs drive off into the sunset with Verstappen and maybe Perez following them

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I would have like to see Hammy out for 2021 due to greed or ego.  Instead he's been rewarded for both.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fernando-alonso-injured-hit-car/5382674/

Alonso was taken to hospital following the accident, but is conscious and "well in himself" according to a statement from the Alpine F1 squad.

The report from Gazzetta dello Sport claims that initial examinations by the medical staff have shown suspected fractures, but multiple sources have denied he's suffered any serious injuries.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

With their engine preparations underway for the new Formula 1 season, Mercedes have acknowledged they are fighting some 'issues,' but are optimistic they will have changes in place for the first race.

Engine chief Hywel Thomas has announced that Mercedes are facing some difficulties at the start of the year, "We have got some issues with the power units," he said in a video released by Mercedes. "We know we have issues but we have plenty of plans in place to fix all of those issues. I'm sure it will all be ready for the first race.".

Thomas added: "This year there have been a few extra additional things thrown at us. It's been the first winter where we've had to react to a change to the regulations, which limits the amount of dyno hours we're able to run. This means we have to make every single dyno run count and must make sure that we are entirely productive, to learn about the performance and the reliability of the Power Unit during each hour,"

"Also, it's the first winter where we have prepared for only one single upgrade for the whole season,"

"So, we have to get all of our performance into the first PU that goes to the first race, whereas in previous seasons we have been able to split that up into different packages for each PU that gets introduced. So, with that challenge, we have to get absolutely everything there for the first race and make sure it's completely reliable."

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

ATTENTION F1 FANS! Rich Energy's much anticipated return to F1 will be confirmed tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm. In the words of CEO William Storey they are set to make the greatest F1 comeback 'since Lazarus'.

People have been guessing who Rich Energy will return with since the news was announced, with Williams or Alpine seeming like the most likely destination for the energy drinks company. However, today, Formulanerds are aware Alfa Romeo have emerged as a front runner to be sponsored by Rich Energy, but with Orlean already being their title sponsor it seems it will be a smaller deal than the title sponsor one they had with Haas.

Excited to see Rich Energy back? Who do you think they'll go with? Let us know on Formulanerds social media.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on February 13, 2021, 10:06:43 AM
ATTENTION F1 FANS! Rich Energy's much anticipated return to F1 will be confirmed tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm. In the words of CEO William Storey they are set to make the greatest F1 comeback 'since Lazarus'.

People have been guessing who Rich Energy will return with since the news was announced, with Williams or Alpine seeming like the most likely destination for the energy drinks company. However, today, Formulanerds are aware Alfa Romeo have emerged as a front runner to be sponsored by Rich Energy, but with Orlean already being their title sponsor it seems it will be a smaller deal than the title sponsor one they had with Haas.

Excited to see Rich Energy back? Who do you think they'll go with? Let us know on Formulanerds social media.

I read a couple of articles about the teams being very wary after Haas F1's experience with Rich Energy.  I would be surprised if any team goes with them, as it has been openly questioned whether they are real company. 

Brit_in_TX

So at the conclusion of the one and only test it looks like Mercedes could be in trouble.  They completed the least number of laps of any team, and given the problems Aston Martin had, that is saying something. 

A few things that stood out to me:
The Alpha Tauri times seem to be a little artificial as Yuki Tsunoda was using the DRS outside of the areas approved for the GP.  Gasly's time seems more representative.
Williams giving their test drive a full day in the car (the only team to give a non race driver any seat time at all) - I wonder if it was intended to put pressure on Latifi. 
Aston Martin look like they are in trouble as they look both slow and unreliable.

Less than 2 weeks until the season starts!

MiniDave

You know, after posting that - I never heard or saw another thing about Rich Energy - I also don't think they're a real company. I meant that post to be sort of tongue in cheek, but forgot to add the appropriate emojis!

Vettel in particular looked lost in the Aston Martin.....they should have kept Perez.

Max looks strong, and Checho looks like he is going to be a great partner for him.

Ricciardo is getting there in the big Mac, and Lando is going stronger every year.

I'm excited to see the Alfa Tauri's going so well again this year.

Ferrari claim they've gotten back 30 hp they lost, and the strong performance by Kimi's Alfa helps back that up, but I'm sure they can find plenty of other ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

I think we could have some new winners this season again. It would be nice to hear some new or different anthems on the podium.

However, I don't buy the Mercedes "troubles" - they do this every year, get everyone's hopes up then at the first race drive off and leave everyone.  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

so, the first F1 race of 2021 is tomorrow, and guess who is on pole?

NOT HAMILTON!

Of course he's second, and Bought-Ass is third, but here's a shocker - LeClerc is 4th......the Ferrari is clearly "better" than last year, although it's not exactly fighting for the front. The Alpha Tauri's are surprisingly fast too. Unfortunately Perez didn't back Verstappen up like they hoped, he's starting well down the order.

Alonso surprised too, he'll be starting 9th

The two Big Macs are in the top 10 too.....and even Lance is in the top 10....

Vettel had what seems like the continuation of his season with Ferrari, starting 18th - the only cars he's ahead of are the two Haas, who look like they'll be bringing up the rear all season, well behind the Williams.

The guy I think we'll really have fun watching this year is Yuki, even Brundle had some fun things to say about his driving style!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I watched qually, but I haven't been keeping up on ANY preseason F1 news so I'm coming into this whole thing very fresh and wide-eyed.   I didn't realize that Alonso was back this season.  That's great.  Nice to have old guys Fred and Kimi still knocking around. 

I'm not British so maybe I shouldn't have an opinion but shouldn't someone have to be at least 40 or 50 years old before they become Sir?  I mean if Hamilton's head wasn't big enough already...

Sebastian's race chances may not be any better with Aston Martin but they're damn sure going to treat him better than Ferrari did last year.

I am looking forward to the race today and getting up to speed at all the changes this season. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Nice to be able to see one "live" this year, starts in 5 minutes!

Interesting start to the race, Alonso seems to not be as rusty as I thought he might be.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, that did not end the way I thought it would, but some pretty good racing thru out the grid....notable finishes - Tsunoda in the points in his first race. Perez finishing5th after starting from the pit lane. Ferrari's finishing 6th and 8th - not a huge improvement, but maybe better than expected? BigMacs in 4th and 7th, with Lando finishing ahead of RickyRacer.

Vettel did not have a good race, incurring a penalty late in the race for running up the back of Ocon......so far, it looks like 2020 all over again for him.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

Yes, good racing I think was the important take away. Nice to see some other teams fighting for the lead and top 10.
Very difficult to predict but I think we are in for a great season!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Bahrain qualifying times
Team            2020            2021   Lap time lost
AlphaTauri    1m28.448s    1m29.089s    0.361s
Ferrari           1m29.137s    1m29.678s    0.541s
Alfa Romeo    1m29.491s    1m30.708s    1.217s
Red Bull           1m27.678s    1m28.997s    1.319s
McLaren           1m28.542s    1m29.927s    1.385s
Alpine           1m28.417s    1m30.249s    1.832s
Williams           1m29.294s    1m31.316s    2.022s
Mercedes           1m27.264s    1m29.395s    2.121s
Aston Martin    1m28.322s    1m30.601s    2.279s
Haas           1m30.111s    1m32.449s    2.338s

What this chart shows is the best time by team at the same track this year and last, and shows that Alpha Tauri (Toro Rosso) seems to have made the biggest step forward, with Ferrari right behind them. One thing's for sure, I really like their new livery, and the white wheels look terrific!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So after all the talk about how the new regs would be hampering Mercedes the worst, they go and win the first race in Bahrain, and the Hamster is on pole for the 2nd race at Imola.

Uh huh.....

some little bits of good news, they are really enforcing track limits - which I think is a good move - make the cars stay on the damn track.

secondly, LeClerc in 4th for Ferrari and Norris also in the top 5 for Big Mac (until he had his time removed for exceeding track limits )

But the real news is Perez outqualifying Mad Max! I would love to see him beat Max at the end of the season - i think Max (while he deserves a lot of it) has been overhyped as the next great white hope in F1. Time to back him down a peg, let him regain a tiny bit of humility....and Perez has earned every one of his stripes. I'm glad he's with a team that will let him show what he really can do.

Lastly, Gasly is showing his stuff, quallifying 5th for Alpha Tauri. Honda is def making the most of their last season in F1 - they've brought both the power and reliability, and AT is punching well above their weight class now. That's fun to watch....if Tsunoda can keep it on the track he'll be in there too I think,...

Could be a real dust up between the TR and Merc in the first corner, Max usually gets away well at the start, and Pez will be right there too.....

Bottas looked good most of the weekend, then somehow faded to 8th in qually. don't know what is up with that boy but I think they made a real mistake not bringing Russel on board this year to learn from and challenge Hammy.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad