2021 Texas Hill Country Gathering (2020 rescheduled)

Started by MPlayle, September 25, 2020, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

VOP 366J

I plan to arrive late Monday, drive Tuesday and Wednesday, maybe Thursday morning,  but then head out Thursday late afternoon.

John Styers...(not Steyers)

MiniDave

That's pretty much my schedule too, see you there!

(sorry about the mis-spelling - you'd think I'd know it by now!)  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The weather is looking really good for the event.  4.gif

I plan to arrive early Tuesday morning.  And I'll probably head for home sometime Friday morning.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

As nominal "drive leader", I will be arriving early Monday morning to be present for anyone wanting to do the "optional" Monday drive.  Monday afternoon is intended as "meet & greet".

I will be leaving Friday.  If there is anyone partaking in the "optional" Friday drive, I will lead it then head home.  Otherwise, I will leave Friday morning.

Brit_in_TX

I would like to do the Friday morning drive and then head home after lunch. 

MPlayle

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on April 22, 2021, 01:02:29 PM
I would like to do the Friday morning drive and then head home after lunch.

That is the planned structure of the Friday drive.  The departure time for that drive is targeted as 10:00 am from the hotel in Kerrville.  I will do a brief "driver's meeting" to outline the route shortly before departure.

jeff10049

we will arrive late Tuesday no mini just lined up with our vacation and search for relocation hill country is on the list. We will miss the meet and greet on Monday but would like to meet up with you guys.
We will either be staying at an rv park near the motel or at the motel and just parking the truck and camper in the oversized area for a night or two then onto check out more hill country. Might even follow along (not that my 3/4 ton can keep up with mini handling) or ride along if someone doesn't mind on a drive.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

A bit under 700 miles. Dinner at Cracker Barrel then staying night in their parking lot. They have RV spaces in back.

MiniDave

Whew! You're a road warrior...700 miles in a day is a LOT!   77.gif

I'm in Dallas, heading out around noonish tomorrow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Had not planned to go this far. Got to my planned stop over at 3:30. Still felt good and too early to stop so just kept going. Had my home support unit, wife, look up where the next Cracker Barrel is and if they had RV parking. Going to meet Bill, the guy buying the stock wheels, for BBQ for lunch in Seguin tomorrow. So about 400 miles to go.

MPlayle

I will see you guys in Kerrville.  I will be driving out in my Mini from San Antonio early tomorrow morning in case there are any "early birds" wanting a "lunch" drive.

MiniDave

I plan to leave Dallas just after lunch, so see you all around dinner time.

Drive safe!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

Hey Willie_B. How do find flat towing with the overhang on your RV? I flat towed my Traveller behind a RoadTrek RV to the 09 EMWMM and didn't like it at all. The trailer hitch swings out in corners and negates the turning motion. It was fine when I flat towed behind a Ford Windstar with little rear overhang.

Willie_B

It tows directly behind the van. Habit has me go wide like with a trailer but that's not needed.

MPlayle

The "Tuesday Bunch" at the stop at Enchanted Rock state park.  Bruce, Brad, and I drove.  Dave rode with Bruce.  The last picture is hikers up on top of Enchanted Rock.

MiniDave

Last night after hitting about 10,000 cattle grates on the drive (  :D ) we walked about 100 ft down the hotel parking lot to the Italian restaurant and had a great meal.....then hung out waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive. Jeff10049 and BritinTx both got here late last night and will join us this morning for the runs on the twisted sisters.

We will probably have some rain this morning - we had a few sprinkles yesterday but nothing major.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

I know those guys! Well, at least 3 of them personally, but all 4 really! Wish I was there with you but hopefully in the hospital for my last visit!  Finally declared Cancer Free and they re-connected my plumbing, so I'm feeling blessed just to be alive!  Now I've gotta get a Mini on the road again...or a Moke...or BOTH!

BruceK

Quote from: drmini on April 28, 2021, 11:43:06 AM
I know those guys! Well, at least 3 of them personally, but all 4 really! Wish I was there with you but hopefully in the hospital for my last visit!  Finally declared Cancer Free and they re-connected my plumbing, so I'm feeling blessed just to be alive!  Now I've gotta get a Mini on the road again...or a Moke...or BOTH!

Fantastic news Hugh!   4.gif    Happy to hear that good news.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Some pictures from today's run.  The first picture is the cars at the hotel parking lot before heading out for breakfast at Mary's Tacos.  We left for the drive from the taco place.

The next picture is at a "leg stretch" stop.  The other four are at the Texas Stonehenge-II.

gr8kornholio

Need to get a pic of Dave's MINI followed by all the Minis.  Like mother duck and her ducklings. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Dave's been riding shotgun in the classic Minis - not driving his Clubman.

I spotted a Google Street View car today, with its camera taken down and covered up.  I spoke with the driver.   He said because it was raining and drizzling they don't take any Street View photos so he was just waiting for the wet weather to pass.   The driver said the camera mast goes up about 9 feet and the camera does not like wet weather.   He also told me it takes couple of months before the new images he takes show up online on Google maps.   He ships off solid-state hard drives of the photo data the camera takes.   In that time they apply the software that blurs faces and license plates.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

OK, so today I made it thru the rainstorms and got to my hotel in Decatur, about 10 miles from the racetrack. I also found the two guys I'll be hanging with tomorrow and we had dinner.

Tomorrow I'll head up to the track and watch him run, and depending on how his day goes I might stay the rest of the day, then head to KC Sat am. early.

Hope everyone had fun today and didn't have to deal with the rain I did on my drive!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad