Gas tanks

Started by 94touring, August 19, 2020, 06:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

7.5 gallons.  One very clean one inside and out $100.  One clean outside but will need the inside cleaned, has a sender too, $50.  One dirty looking one but doesn't seem too crusty inside $25.

drmini

Which ones have sending units, and what type are the others? Either bayonet mount or with 6 screws?

94touring

Quote from: drmini on October 01, 2020, 03:56:41 PM
Which ones have sending units, and what type are the others? Either bayonet mount or with 6 screws?

Only one with the sender is the one shown in the photo.   I'm not sure I know what bayonet vs 6 screws is?  One is an early tank where the holding strap goes over the top and the other two I believe are the diagonal style.

Willie_B

Older gas tanks (60'S) the sender was held in with 6 small screws.

94touring

OH that. I'll check this week when I'm back out. 2 are bayonet. The old tank may not be.

94touring

Red Riley

Quote from: 94touring on October 02, 2020, 12:29:28 PM
Quote from: drmini on October 01, 2020, 03:56:41 PM

Only one with the sender is the one shown in the photo.   I'm not sure I know what bayonet vs 6 screws is?  One is an early tank where the holding strap goes over the top and the other two I believe are the diagonal style.

A little bit of FYI history: A bayonet mount or connector is named for the socket bayonets used on 19th century military rifles. The bayonet has a round base with several fingers or tabs that fit into matching cutouts in the socket (in this case the outer surface of the rifle barrel), then the bayonet is twisted until the tabs lock into the socket and it is held in by friction or a spring-lock arrangement. If you look at the way camera lenses attach, that is a bayonet connection. Military spec electrical connectors also use bayonet mounting. The fuel senders with tabs that twist into the opening on the tank and are held in against the gasket by friction are what? Bayonet mounts. The kind with screws are well, screw mount. So now you know.  4.gif

BruceK

Thanks explanation/history lesson RR!   4.gif  I'm always interested to learn more stuff.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring