MINI DIY Supercharged w/Holley Sniper EFI

Started by tmsmini, April 24, 2020, 09:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Cool!  Nice time capsule.

I wonder if Mini City still has some old Nikki stuff hanging around?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I remember MiniCity, I bought parts from them in the 60's for my first Mini - I bought a set of cosmic wheels, new seat covers and some arches......I was able to get engine and transmission parts thru the local BaP Geon parts house.

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I used to keep one of their catalogs for years, no idea what happened to it.

A couple of updates on the Mini Forum thread:
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/343927-side-draughting-an-spi-throttle-body/page-3

I wonder how the Sniper will handle the issue with the shared ports. I know about ten years ago there was an update to the Megasquirt software to allow for it. I am not sure what changes were required.

MiniDave

Yeah, I read that this morning too.....

I don't think my setup will work any differently than a carb does.....in that the fuel is introduced before the throttle plate, just like on an SPi or a carb - which is why I'm going this route - to my mind it's an SPi unit in a different package - with a built-in modern ECU to run it and a potentially easy to use interface to tune it - we'll see!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Further discussion on the Nikki carb setup.....

Bill sent me a Nikki manifold and measuring the bores it's 1 1/4", which is prefect for a 998, and adequate for up to about 80 hp on a 1275, tho I think 1 1/5" bores would be better for a big block engine.

So we need to measure the other two manifold setups and see if they're the same.

According to the Mini City catalog they had setups for everything from and 850 to a 1300....chances are they all used the same intake and carb, just different jets - but it would be worthwhile to check if you two wouldn't mind.

Does that logo look like Dunlop to you all?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

1 1/4" on mine as well. Like you say I would assume they had only one manifold and the only thing that changed was the jetting in the carb but you certainly never know.

MPlayle

The carb jetting is what would have to be changed.

I had a couple Minis over the years that had the Weber DGV.  That carb usually came from Weber jetted for a 2.0L Ford engine.  The Weber conversion would be used on Triumphs (Spitfires, Heralds, GT6s), MGs (MGB and Midget/Sprite) among others.  Most people converting to the Weber DGV would have to rejet for their application.  Few would publish their results for the benefit of others.  I know from researching for trying to bring each of my Minis with the DGV into proper tune (both were way too rich - overjetted).  I still have a tuning kit and selection of jets in my stuff.  I went the "easier-at-the-time" route of converting back to a SU carb and manifold.

MiniDave

The conclusion I'm coming to is that the Nikki manifold would be fine on a 998 running the single bbl EFI unit, but the 2bbl unit might be a bit much as the smaller bores would tend to restrict airflow - it could work, it just wouldn't be optimized.

I don't know if the weber downdraft manifold would be better - have larger runners or not - anyone have one of those they could measure?

I have no idea what kind of manifold it would take to make this into a side draft 2bbl, I suppose I could weld one up out of steel tubing but I'd have to figure out a balance tube too.....but if I buy a 2bbl unit later I'm definitely spending the extra $100 or so to buy the one that has software for boost as well as normally aspirated - cause that will be the next challenge!    4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I would have thought the Nikki and Weber down draft manifold would perform about like twin HS2's?  Aren't those good for a stock-to-mild 1275?

MiniDave

Yes, that's what I said - a 1275 up to about 80 hp.  I think the single bbl will work great on a 998

It will take an adaptor to mate the 2bbl to the Nikki (and probably the weber) manifold, as the 1.5" throttle won't open in a 1.25" hole

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Ah, I misunderstood your comments.  I thought you meant the diameter of the ports at the head were 1.25".  You meant the width of the opening at the carb mount was also 1.25".

I do not know if the adapter plate I referenced earlier would work for the Nikki carb then.  It may still work fine for the 2-barrel on a manifold for the Weber DGV.  The Weber is a 32/36mm which means the primary is 32mm (~1.26") and the secondary is 36mm (~1.42").

MiniDave

I see one potential issue with using the Weber manifold, the direction of the bores under the carb mean the EFI unit would have to sit sideways compared to the Nikki. I'm sure I could come up with an adaptor to turn it back around, but I question how that would affect the efficiency and performance of the EFI. It might fit just fine sideways, all it would take is some kind of bracket for the throttle linkage or something. Won't know till I get the actual unit so I can look at it more carefully.....of course this is all about the 2bbl unit. The single will work on any manifold with the right adaptor.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Was there ever a Mini DIY episode posted about the ongoing issues with the Sniper EFI?
I cannot seem to find one.

MiniDave

I didn't either.....I'm going to talk to Cole this afternoon, I'll ask him. could be he got frustrated and decided not to publish those episodes....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Look forward to your efforts on this and i found this today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcYXjP0QJM

I have not watched it yet.

MiniDave

I watched it....he's installing a good fuel pressure regulator that will work with the Weber carb - I wasn't sure if he could find one that would take the pressure and flow of an MPi fuel pump down to the very small pressure a Weber uses, but it looks like he has a setup that will work.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I was told that it was not possible to reliably bring down the pressure of the MPi pump to a carb level.
Do you know which regulator he is using? I can't make it out.

MiniDave

I think in the video he said "Aeromotive"?

I was surprised too, but he put a gauge on it and it's right where it should be.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

tmsmini

Use a different spring for the different rates:
Base pressure adjustable from 3 to 20 PSI with standard spring, (installed) or from 20 to 60 PSI with high-pressure spring (included). It offers the full flow and rock steady fuel pressure that only a dynamic, Aeromotive return style regulator provides.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/universal-bypass-regulator/

joakwin

So is the sniper efi not a good idea on a mini engine with Down draft manifold? 
I have a austin america 1275 engine, remove the carb and efi it or geo metro tbi

Im pretty sure the geo metro tbi could be adapted to work on a down draft manifold,
It would just be aluminum adapter plate, 1/2 inch or so thick and then the bolt patterns drilled out

I know they convert the geo metro dizzy to work with the 45d/59d mini dizzy for the other brit cars
I think it just needs the guts of a 4 banger geo dizzy and then the computer controls the dizzy like stock

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MPlayle

I recall at one point MiniDave was looking into doing the Holley Sniper EFI on a downdraft manifold for use on Minis in a non-turbo/non-supercharged (normally aspirated) configuration.  I think he was intending on using a standard Mini distributor - getting the Sniper EFI working in the most basic of configurations.

I do not recall where that thread/discussion was.

joakwin

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

94touring

Only thing to consider is that throttle body would need the ecu also. Looking at the haltec 750 pictured you can add another 1500.