MINI DIY Supercharged w/Holley Sniper EFI

Started by tmsmini, April 24, 2020, 09:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

MiniDave

Wonder if there would be any advantage to using that instead of or in place of an SPi unit?

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on April 24, 2020, 10:45:16 AM
Wonder if there would be any advantage to using that instead of or in place of an SPi unit?

One likely advantage would be availability of the required sensors.  Most of the sensors used by the factory SPI system are NLA and old enough to be starting to fail.  This Holley system is likely to be using currently available sensors.

The SPI system does use a throttle position sensor and stepper motor for choke.  So the equivalent on the Holley would be needed if trying to use it as a replacement for the factory SPI system.

jedduh01

The Holley essentially IS an SPI Unit... the big problem with the actual mini SPI itself is the MEMS ( British ECU) has little to no bandwith for adjustments or tuning.  it runs off of MAP ( Manifold pressure) but doesnt have the means for BOOST or operating outside of its set parameters of the NA Mini car.

ClassicMiniDIY - is my bud= Cole.  - Charlotte NC
  He got his mini about 8 years ago as a Complete basket case ... He reached out as a young buck,  needing all the help.  I helped him get it sorted way back and now he's on his own journeys of Mini ownership!    Now modifications and power!

Hes well on his way here= he WAS building an engine test stand to hook this engine up = but this week we discussed the pro's and cons.. and yesterday he put the motor in the car, Is underway making all the in car connections... This thing MIGHT run next week!

Props to Cole.

In learning and watching Cole do this project it has shown tome the vibrant mini life STILL happening in the UK...    Cars are much later model but there are still alot of enthuists and providers offering excellent mods that we just simply dont see over here.  Instagram has opened my eyes to these providers... I even won a raffle for a double sprung clutch for my next build.

MiniDave

I met Cole thru you at the event a couple of years ago. I could see that he did not have a background in auto mechanics right away, but he had a good attitude and wanted to learn, so as you say - props to him.

I'm still disappointed by all the mistakes he makes in his vids because there are a lot of people no more experienced or even less experienced who regard this info as fact......facts that are frequently wrong.

I see he took a little umbrage at people calling him out for mistakes at the beginning of this vid....I stopped doing that as I felt it was better to contact him directly instead of publicly.

I know it takes a lot of effort to do these vids and I'm pleased that he's continued with the effort - good for him!

Interesting about the charge cooler, they guys at Mad Cars (?) in Australia did that with their supercharger installation too... although their radiator was a lot smaller - and to me I doubted that it worked as they hoped it would due to the small size. still I suppose anything is better than nothing for keeping the charge cool, but like Dan does for his Turbo RX, seems like meth injection would be far more efficient.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The point of my comment was I wondered if this could be a better setup than carb(s) even without the supercharger?

Prices vary considerably and of course you'd need an MPi tank and equivalent pump to make it a neat installation, although you could use an external pump and modify a standard tank for the return line. And of course you'd also need a manifold, hence my question about SPi - there must be a ton of SPi manifolds just lying about from cars that were converted back to carbs.

This seems like a pretty complete setup, it would be fairly easy to use a crank sensor and get rid of the dizzy too - but I wonder if the ECU mounted on the injection unit has the capability to adjust the timing curve or if you'd need a separate ECU or electronic ignition setup to do that.....need to read more about it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The factory SPI setup uses a "dummy" distributor - the timing is electronically controlled.

I do seem to recall the SPI distributor does retain some mechanical advance though.

MiniDave

Michael, do you still have the SPi manifold from the engine you converted?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Yep = Holley is ' todays' plug and play fueling option = pretty fresh.
     Vmax ( the supercharger kit suppler) offers basic starter kits even using a HIF44 piped to the intake of the supercharger. Pretty crude:   A step up from there is a Weber for fuel .. and finally for the 'computer smart" fueling option is the Holley.  for the Holley what i have read is the O2 sensor installed is doing all the tuning legwork plain and simple. YES SPI tank = return fuel system all installed in this application.

Ignition is the other side I do question here.. Cole is using a basic electric distributor in this project as provided by Vmax.
In my turbo boost experience you should pull 1 degree of timing for every pound of boost added... I know cole was advised to run this starting at 10 TDC> which sounds retarded already... so interested to see how this goes.
   For this Mini application an Megajolt Programmable ignition is a common crank trigger wheel ignition for these unique applications.

MiniDave

Well, most mini dizzys use about 24° of mechanical advance, add 10° initial that's 34° total advance - I doubt you'd ever need any more than that even with forced induction.

If Michael still has his SPi manifold, I was interested to see how this FI unit could be adapted to that manifold, for an easy, simple replacement for the SPi unit and ECU. Or to replace the carbs on a regular non boosted Mini motor.

I would consider investing my Stimulus check $$$ on one of these just for fun!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on April 24, 2020, 12:08:30 PM
Michael, do you still have the SPi manifold from the engine you converted?

No, it is long gone.

tmsmini

The SC system, the Holley Sniper and the SPi are all throttle body systems.

I believe that Vmax also offers an Emerald based system for the supercharger although this may been supplanted by the Holley.

The Holley appears to be a nice self contained system. It will be interesting to see how it deals with charge robbing in the supercharged environment.

tmsmini

Interesting on this ad for Holley sponsored by Hagerty, one of the comments is this, "The point of EFI isn't more power, the point of EFI is better starting, better fuel economy, more accurate fuel distribution between cylinders, altitude compensation, fuel grade compensation, knock compensation and vastly improved reliability."

It generated alot of comments on how their Holley carbs work great...

Holley video

MPlayle

I wonder if it would also work using the intake manifold for the Weber 32/36 DGV downdraft carb sometimes used on Minis?

https://www.minimania.com/part/99003.808PMV/Classic-Austin-Mini-Weber-Intake-Manifold-For-The-Dgv-Carburetor-And-Lcb

MiniDave

Isn't that a progressive intake, where it runs on the small bore first then the second opens up under more throttle?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Certainly the quads work that way, but I don't know about this version. Were you talking about the Weber or the Holley?
I was looking for CFM and could not find it.

It seems that everyone with a 327 or 289 wants to put a giant carb on to get better performance. Those really big carbs may work well for the stroked and bored monsters, but I have found a smaller well tuned carb works pretty well. My son has an El Camino with a 327 in it, if I hit the lottery maybe I would pay for the conversion.

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on April 24, 2020, 07:31:01 PM
Isn't that a progressive intake, where it runs on the small bore first then the second opens up under more throttle?

The Weber 32/36 DGV is a progressive carb.

I was wondering if the manifold used by that carb (linked in earlier post) would work with the Holley EFI for mounting to an A-series engine.

MiniDave

I've not seen an SPi manifold without the attached fuel unit, but I'll bet it will work best since it's designed for the same operation. I'm confident the bolts won't line up of course, but any enterprising soul with a tig and some skills should be able to make a baseplate or adaptor or something that will let it fit.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

The SPi manifold is pretty unique IN the A series world as it has a coolant sensor in it. It might also duplicate another sensor that is bultin to the Sniper. The SPi MAP sensor is in the ECU

tmsmini

I finally finished watching more of the supercharger setup. It will be interesting to see how the Sniper deals with things.
If Stuart has been installing these, then I am sure it has a good baseline.

One of the issues I have with SC is the inconsistent support.

tmsmini

I see where the facebook page or Youtube channel has an image of a familiar hand gesture indicating displeasure...

MiniDave

What are you referring to? I saw his vid where he dropped it in, but no displeasure other than almost "dropping" it in!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I cannot find it again either.
The super charged engine was in the bay and he was flipping it off.

He has a number of venues where things are posted so I am not sure where it came from.

Found it

MiniDave

Wonder what the issue is? with the EFI or something else?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Not sure, it was on his Facebook Story(whatever that is).

I was looking for a new video, but have not found one.