1982 Mini 1000 HL refurbish 2020

Started by ADRay, April 18, 2020, 08:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Purpose:
this car is a driver, and was a bit of a bastard when I bought it. My goal is to have a solid, stripped down and imperfect car that I can drive the wheels off of, and not care (too much anyway) if one of my boys puts a scratch on it. Also, learn more about Mini's by doing as much as I can myself.

Background:
1982 Mini 1000 HL LHD imported from Germany. It had been giving a bit of the "retro" treatment on the dash, exterior repainted, aftermarket grille, wheels and side mirrors.

I bought it May 2014. In that time, I have upgraded the brakes to discs in front, replaced the floor (read: bodge), electronic ignition.

The head blew on it in fall of 2014. The local reputable British car shop put a port and polished head with stainless hardware and modern seats. I don't know much more about it other than it doesn't have a water temperature port. I found an adapter that makes use of the heater port (I removed the heater).

Those were the major repairs and upgrades. Other than that, it's been fixing the little bugs that pop up, and wear and tear maintenance.

Current status:
It's been in my garage since August. The engine was showing signs of a potential head gasket leak. I've decided to take it off of the road this year to finally give the car the attention it needs.

Scope of work:

- Repair all major rust issues on body, specifically the rear end

- Replace head gasket

- pulling the motor to clean & inspect it and engine compartment

- Replace front windshield

Photo from original listing:
http://www.2040-cars.com/Mini/Classic-Mini/1982-mini-1000hl-high-luxury--841376/
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

in the garage, beginning to take it apart
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

4/17

Removed the rear subframe.

Before:

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

After. Body revealed no surprises. Unfortunately, the subframe is in worse shape than I thought.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Cool.  Looks like maybe a new subframe is in order?  Can't tell if that's something that will sandblast out well enough to reuse. 

MiniDave

I'm a fan of the sandblast and powdercoat on subframes and suspension parts
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

this baby is unusable. Front driver's side is toast. definitely planning on cleaning up and reusing the hard components of they're good.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Still a fan of sandblast and powdercoat - on the new one then!   77.gif

The paint they come in is like Ecoat - thin and will not stop rusting, unless it will be a "never sees moisture" car. Even then I would coat it with something better as there's always humidity.

Is that a date code on there? 10-9-81? as in 10th of Sept 81, or 9th of Jan 81? If so, I wonder if that's a manufactured date or an installed date? Probably the mfrd date?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'd ditch everything on it and start new.  Fittings and a roll of brake line is cheap.  Buy or rent a flare tool and go to work.  Perfect time to add hi-los too.

ADRay

Quote from: 94touring on April 18, 2020, 12:29:03 PM
Perfect time to add hi-los too.

Have some! got a pair off bikewiz last year.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

Stripped everything off of the subframe today. It was in worse shape than I thought. everything I hoped would be reusable is.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

Parts arrived today. Subframe looks better than I was afraid it might. I went with a powder coated one, and no touch up needed. It looks like it has 2 built in exhaust hangers or something that the original one didn't. Any ideas?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Yes, that's what those are, I just cut them off or ignore them....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Upon closer inspection, they sent me the 1991-on model (not what I ordered). knowing that, is it still as simple as cutting them off? Thanks.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I think that's the only meaningful difference....maybe one of the more experienced guys can chime in.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Different hangers. I'd just leave them.

MPlayle

The exhaust hangers and the places where the valves for the hydrolastic suspension go are the main differences.

Since the picture shows rubber cones, the hydro mounts are not an issue.

I used a fully built up later subframe when I restored the white Moke and did not have any issues.  I ignored the exhaust hanger rods pre-welded on and used the appropriate types for the exhaust I went with on the Moke.

ADRay

thanks everyone. I was pretty pissed at the notion that I ordered this thing all the way from England and waited 2 months for it, and it was going to be unusable. Oddly enough, my original order invoice was for a pre '91 model, but the paper copy that was mailed with stated the post '91 model.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I've been having lots of problems with parts suppliers right now, so don't feel bad....at least you got a usable part!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Wow, that brings back memories -

Well done!
- Pave the Bay -

ADRay

cleaned up & painted the subframe mounts and bolted it on.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

A little update sine July: wrapped up phase one of the work. Rear subframe has been replaced, radius arms refurbished, and brake assemblies remounted. Leaving the brake lines and parking brake install until the body work is done.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

today I pulled the engine out for the first time. next step is drop the front subframe and evaluate what it needs.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

What the subframe will need - a good cleaning!

Upper control arm bearing kits (2)
lower control arm bushings (check the pins too, sometimes they're rusted pretty badly) I prefer the MiniSport adjustable lower arms, so you can set the camber where you want it
tie bar bushings (I prefer to get the adjustable tie bars - again Minisport is a good source)
New rubber cones and HiLos
upper arm rebound buffer (2) These are always soggy from oil
Rubber pad between subframe and body (where the big bolt goes) (2)
New shocks?
New CV boots?
Caliper overhaul kits or if drum brakes a disc brake kit.
New ball joints (4) I like the Japanese non shimmed type. Spendy but they're well made and never need shimming or greasing.
New wheel bearings?
A rubber cone compressor?

Check the tie rod ends and replace if needed, also the boots. if the steering rack is worn now is the time to replace it with the subframe out

Are you going to rebuild the 998 or replace it with a 1275?

What's the round thing at the block in front of the breather cannister?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

TDA

What's the round thing at the block in front of the breather cannister?

Waterpump inlet?