Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Maybe when you bring the Pup up?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Good idea. I'll dig it out of the carport to bring with me.

jeff10049

Dave,

I made a priority switch for a 220volt heater that I use to share with the compressor.
Get a contactor with normally closed contacts and a 220volt coil. Run the a/c through the contactor.
Activate the contactor coil with the compressor pressure switch to cut out the a/c anytime the compressor is on.
I went to propane heat I now use the switch for the level2 car charger.
It's very nice not having to change plugs.

Additionally, you can use the normally open side of the contactor to run the compressor if you like it takes the load off of the pressure switch but that is not necessary if you don't want to.

https://www.amazon.com/TE-CONNECTIVITY-POTTER-BRUMFIELD-PRD-11AG0-240/dp/B00IWJG7HG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=30a+dpdt+relay+240vac&linkCode=ll2&linkId=203be3508ea0abb1614cf3010d4b2c4c&qid=1632857303&sr=8-4

MiniDave

OK, so I would need two receptacles, then use the contactor to either/or which unit actually is using the power? I would need a simple schematic to wire this - but I don't know if it's really needed as I rarely have to run both on the same day....
Also, if it switches off the A/C to run the compressor, I would have to manually restart the A/C once the compressor kicks off, right?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

If your a/c has a digital control that doesn't pick up where it left off after losing power then yes you would have to manually restart.
There is a way to do it and use the contactor as an A/C compressor cutout.

But it doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble in your limited use of both.

In your case, I'd be very tempted to just add another outlet and manually switch them off and on without having to plug and unplug.

look at the running amps of both your circuit might just do it. I'm assuming It's the startup load that would put it over the top.  But what are the odds of the A/C compressor kicking on at exactly the same time as the air compressor? wost case tripped breaker.

If you decide you would like to setup a priority switch I'm happy to help with a schematic.

joakwin

anyone try a rc40 twin box muffler on the compressor intake? lol to keep it mini up in here

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad