Minidave's mini Mini shop

Started by MiniDave, February 05, 2020, 12:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Since it looks like we're never going to move, I've decided to build an addition onto the back of my house that will be my new shop. I have my son in law working on the design since he's an architect, maybe that will help keep me from making too many mistakes in the construction. Its going to be a simple lean-to or shed design, with a low slope flat roof so I can get an actual 2 post lift in there.

My plan is to have room for a two post and the scissor lift, so I can pull a motor or at least work under the entire car standing up, and have the other one for brake and suspension work. This will also give me room for working on engines and transmissions which is what my main goal has always been.

I decided to just have a 6 ft wide double door into the shop rather than a roll up or garage door, that will be my entrance door too. 6 ft is plenty wide for a classic or even a new MINI to get in. That will free up the garage for parking cars again!

Overall size will be about 25 X 25, and I'll put a small shed on the outside for the compressor and genset to live. Of course I would like it to be bigger, but budget and land constraints will limit what I can do.

Main power will come into the shop on a 200 amp panel, then I'll run a 100 amp feed to the house panel in the basement from there so I don't have to rewire the house panel. I'll do all the electrical and insulation, and I'll hire out the drywall install, mud and tape, then I'll do the painting.

Heat and A/C will be the unit I have in the garage now, with better sealing and insulation it should be more than adequate.

Funding is coming from the sale of my south property, which should close between the 19th and 1st of March. Once I have cash in hand I hope to break ground sometime in March.

I'll post up renderings once I have them in a couple of weeks.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Sounds super. Any thought of a skylight?

MiniDave

Probably not due to budget constraints (cheap ones are $300+ each, plus about $100 for the flashing kit) - but plans include clerestory windows on three sides. The shop will be on the south west side of the house so it will get good light, especially in the afternoons. I do like a lot of natural light.

I'll also have at least 12 4ft dual bulb LEDs on the ceiling, 3 rows of 4. they've gotten so cheap and I like plenty of light.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

This sounds like a great project.  I need to get going on building a garage in my backyard.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

If I had the room and access, one of those garage kits from the lumber yard might be the least expensive way to go.....but I have neither so mine will have to be custom. As long as I can get a Mini up high enough to walk and work under, I'll be happy.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

rogerotto

Hi minidave.  I am new to this forum.  Is your shop for working on your own minis or do you do work for others?  I am finally reassembling a '66 S which I took apart back in 1993!   Currently working on the front swivel joints and cleaning the fuel tanks.

MiniDave

Welcome to the forum!

I limit my work to doing engines and transmissions for Minis and Sprites/Midgets both for my own cars and for others.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

OK, progress.....

A contractor has been found, and his preliminary estimates look like they will be on budget, before we can get any further along we need drawings, which my SIL will be working on. Once I have those we can get the job bid and start moving dirt.

Weather may have something to say about our progress as we're moving into spring and it can be very unpredictable this time of year around here, with tornados, massive amounts of rain, snow and who knows what!

First glance our plans look do-able and within our guestimate budget, the contractor had a good idea about what we can do with the dirt so we don't have the expense of hauling it off.

More as it happens!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

When a neighbor down the street built his garage he arranged with a local technical school to come out and do all the wiring. All he had to do was buy the materials. This counted as class time for the students, the teacher was there to instruct and inspect.

MiniDave

Interesting idea, I need to reconnect with the school again anyway.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Cool project, Dave - good luck with it!
- Pave the Bay -

Lone Star Mini

You should have a barn raising weekend... some of us could come up and help build the framework.   I have construction expo and quite enjoy it.    Sounds like a great mini shop
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

That sounds like a ton of fun, but I think I'll let the contractor just do his thing.

I'll be doing all the electrical and insulation, but I'll let others do the drywall. Then I'll paint it....so I'll save a bit of dough here and there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Are you doing spray in foam insulation?

gr8kornholio

I would. That stuff is amazing. Well worth the extra up front cost.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I'm looking into doing at least a 1" of closed cell foam, then bats on top of that. I don't need it super tight, just enough to keep the wind out!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Alrighty then, preliminary drawings......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Willie_B

Scargo

Be careful with the new roof height in relation to the sill height of the two "existing windows to remain".  You'll need to allow room for flashing the new roof into the existing exterior wall below the window sills, and you don't want the window sills to be sitting that close to the roof. I'd suggest allowing at least a very minimum 6" of vertical clearance between the two, even more in a climate where snow might accumulate.

MiniDave

Good points, but as it turns out I think we're going to do it differently anyway, I don't think I have enough vertical height doing it this way.....and this is our third iteration. We started with a shed roof, then went to the gable end but the windows on the house are a limiting factor as the bottom of the sash is 11'11", I need at least 12' to clear the lift. Unless I want to change them to a clerestory or awning style window and gain some more distance between them and the roof, I don't think we can get it high enough. Also, he drew it 24X24, I'm going to go to 24X28 or maybe 24X32, it doesn't sound like much but those extra feet will make a difference.

But..............................I have an idea...................... ;D

Watch for version 2 (3? 4?) by the weekend.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm 30 feet deep for reference.

MiniDave

It doesn't reflect it in the illustrations but the plan is to set the two lifts 90* to each other, to leave a square of open space between them as an engine build/assembly area.

The two post will be parallel to the back wall of the house, and the scissor lift will be in the corner straight back from the drive thru door.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Have you thought about building the scissor jack into the floor? Then you won't need the drive up boards to clear it.

MiniDave

Yes, and it's possible, but then it's fixed, as it is now I can roll it around if I need to. I only need the boards for lowered cars, regular height Minis and MINIs clear without the boards.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad