Next Mini has finally arrived.

Started by MPlayle, January 04, 2020, 09:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I have not yet removed the shattered glass.  I will be trying to get to that in the next day or so and will fully evaluate the seal and locking strip then.

BruceK

Don't forget to block your demister vents to prevent glass from falling down them.  Good luck 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 05, 2020, 02:11:34 PM
Don't forget to block your demister vents to prevent glass from falling down them.  Good luck

94touring

Wonder if you could tape the entire windscreen before taking it out to prevent the inevitable large mess  8.gif

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on August 05, 2020, 05:58:38 PM
Wonder if you could tape the entire windscreen before taking it out to prevent the inevitable large mess  8.gif

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Hmm, ... I have a roll of brown masking paper and some spray adhesive?

8.gif

Jimini II

Also with the Mini windshield unlike other vehicles you install the seal to the car first then install the glass.

Red Riley

I used spray glue and newspaper on both sides, then just cut through the old seal with a box cutter. I got the whole thing out without dropping any glass chunks.

This is what the newer style wider seal looks like. I like the way it fills out the recess in the sheet metal around the window opening.

MPlayle

I glued and papered the windshield today (both sides).  I also checked the seal and locking strip.  Both are the newer wide and soft kind.  I can definitely reuse them.  I also pulled the locking strip so when the papering job dries, I can pull the bulk of the glass out tomorrow.

tsumini

The grooves on my screen rubber were different widths so make sure the wider groove goes on the windscreen side and the narrower groove goes on the metal side. Getting them backward will cause all kinds of grief.

MPlayle

Took the broken windshield out today.  Pictures show it "in paper" and then just after removing it.

I then took my shop vac and cleaned out the rest of the pieces from the seal, floor of the car, and garage floor.  I also took some mildly soapy water and a rag and cleaned the glass groove and locking strip groove of the seal to have it ready for the new windshield.

The new windshields are supposed to arrive Thursday from Mini Spares.

MPlayle

New windshields arrived Friday.  Both were fully intact, so now I have a spare.

I installed one today.  It went in without much struggle.  I was done in about 30 minutes, start to finish (all cleaned up and tools put away).

The suction cups were handy for initially getting it into place.  Using one of the plastic tools and some mildly soapy water and it worked into place almost as quickly in the video on the windshield thread.  Using the fillet tool and some more of the soapy water, the locking strip went back in nicely too.

I just need to put the replacement registration sticker on and I'm back on the road with it.

4.gif

94touring

Red Riley

Nice! I'll bet it helps to do it when it's nice and warm. It was around 40 degrees in my garage when I did mine. Cold rubber did not want to cooperate!

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

It was so nice to drive "Miss Ruby" again, even if it was 100*F out.

71.gif   :-\

MPlayle

Thought I would put the latest update on this thread versus the shop thread or as follow up on the Spring drive thread.

The Spring drive revealed some electrical gremlins on Miss Ruby.  Part way into the Wednesday drive, she started misfiring and bucking unless I kept the rpms about 3K or above.  Turned out my battery was going bad and with the load of lights, wipers, etc. due to rain, it was dropping out and the alternator could not keep up unless revved.

We got back to the nearest parts store and I bought a new battery and was able to finish leading the drives.  Also, my headlights were a bit erratic - poor connctions inside the dash rocker switch as fiddling with it would make them come back on for a while.

As a result, I have been investigating the charging system's wiring and installing relays on the headlights.  I got a pair of relays wired in for the headlights and removed some old wiring from the original factory driving lights found on a RSP Cooper.  The ones on Miss Ruby are either replacements or have been rewired at some point onto an independent switch. 

I found the alternator was wired with two smallish (one 12-14 gauge and the other 14-16 gauge) wires running from a stud to the battery terminal on the solenoid rather than two heavier gauge wires from the two large spade connectors.  I am replacing that setup with two 10 gauge wires on the spade connectors and upgrading to a high output alternator.  I also have a new switch for the dash ordered.  Both are due Friday.

I plan to remove the old alternator tomorrow and get it tested to determine its usefulness as a spare.

BruceK

Cool!  Just in for the resurrected Cars & Coffee on Saturday! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

"If" I can get them installed Friday evening.  Then I still need to wash it from the drives in the wet.

MPlayle

I took the alternator down to the nearby Autozone and had it tested.  Naturally, they needed to look it up by part number or application to set the test machine's parameters.  There are no markings of any kind on it and a 1991 Rover Mini is not in their computers.  I had to give them the usual "1973 MG Midget" as cross reference and the highest output alternator that found was a 36 amp one.  They hooked it up using the spade connectors and ran against the "1973 MG Midget" profile.  It passed the testing - ran it twice to be sure.

The high output (70 amp) from Mini Spares is still scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but DHL shows it as "on hold" in Cincinnati as of 9:00 a.m. this morning.  We'll see if it actually gets delivered tomorrow.

MiniDave

Given the condition of your battery I don't think you could have driven as much as you did had the alternator been bad, but that said a bad battery can kill a good alternator, so it's good you had it checked. I think the one you have now is 45 amp, which should have been enough, but it never hurts to have a little more juice!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Based on what I can glean from my manuals, I agree that the one I have should be a 45 amp alternator.  I am going to keep it as a spare and go with the 70 amp when it arrives.

BruceK

So, did everything arrive in time for you to get the car ready?

Will we see you tomorrow morning at 6:30am  :-\  at Whataburger before Cars & Coffee?   

Edit: not sure you were aware that the meetup place changed from Chick-fil-A to Whataburger. But it has. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I am still waiting on DHL to deliver the parts.  I am likely going to make a late evening/night of trying to get it done and washed for tomorrow.

I had gotten your direct email about the change in meeting place.

I send you a direct email later this evening letting you know if I will be able to make it.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S