Next Mini has finally arrived.

Started by MPlayle, January 04, 2020, 09:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Malcolm was finally able to make the arrangements for picking up his free Moke in Boerne and brought me my next Mini from Florida.  It arrived today.  Initial inspection revealed no discrepancies in how the seller described it and Malcolm's pre-purchase inspection report was accurate as well.

I do need to address a couple minor issues before getting the basic Texas state safety inspection: needs new tires ones on it are 14 years old, I already have replacements) right side low beam out, hazards not working - turn signals do work, so either the switch (I already have a replacement) or the hazard flasher unit.

All of the above are things I knew it needed when I bought it (except for the low beam).  I'm happy so far.

Pictures and more information later.

MiniDave

So, you sold the Marcos already?

Now you have a Mini and a Moke again? Or a Mini and a Mini? or is this the one you bought a while ago to replace the Moke and are just now getting it? I'm confused!    8.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I sold the Moke at the same time I bought the Marcos.

The Marcos has not yet sold.  It is on the market through MiniGuy.

This is a 1991 Saloon (possibly an RSP) - 1275, HIF Carb to replace the Marcos.

These are the two "toys" at present.  I have a "third" due to leave Amsterdam soon - a 1986 "Burton" - roadster kit on a Citroen 2CV chassis.  When the Marcos sells, I will stay at the Mini Saloon and the Burton.

http://www.burtoncar.com/

Willie_B

BruceK

Really cool!  I live the styling. Does it lean on corners like 2CV?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

MiniDave

Which one did you get (Color/interior)?

I like the cream with the tan interior and chrome wheels on their website....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

This is the one I got:

https://www.burtoncar.com/occasions.html?car=79

They changed the seat upholstery to a tan that matches the dash cover and side panels.  The pictures on the site are from before the change.

MiniDave

I like that one! Can't wait to see it....be sure to take a video of it for us when you drive it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I don't have anything to take a video with.

My cell phone is an old style flip-phone and my digital camera might barely do video (I've never tried it).

MPlayle

Introducing "Miss Ruby".

Bruce got to see her in person when we met for some of the Spring Drive planning.

MPlayle

Willie_B

Looks great. Now to make it yours as we all seem to do. Look forward to seeing it in April.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Michael has a nice new Mini! No Dave, it's a 1275, not a 998.   Michael mentioned to me that all the evidence points to this car being one of the limited edition RSP (Rover Special Products) Mini Coopers.    That was the special edition, limited run of Minis badged and trimmed as Coopers to test the waters of re-launching the regular production of the Mini Cooper model after a 20 year drought of no Cooper models.  Obviously the RSP Coopers were a big success and based upon the positive reception Rover then made Mini Cooper models all through the 1990s up until the end of the Mini in 2000.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

A little "excitement" with Miss Ruby today - driving down the highway on some errands and the windshield shattered.   :-\

It turned out to be one of the old style "toughened" glass windshields.  I got lucky in it did not fall into the car and I was able to get off the highway and nurse it home on side streets.  I have comprehensive insurance on it, so will see what that does for coverage on getting a new windshield.

MiniDave

Yikes! That had to be a little scary!

You can get a windshield pretty cheaply from MiniSpares, I usually order two and split the cost of shipping with someone - anyone else need a windshield?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

BruceK

Michael, glad you are okay.  This is the situation I was warning Dan about several years ago on his car.  He's since changed to a laminated windshield when he re-did his car.

It's simply amazing the UK stupidly allowed these crazy toughened windshields to be fitted to new cars up into the 1980s.  I think the US required laminated glass before WWII.

Drivers in the UK were taught to punch a hole with their hand through the shattered windscreen so they could see through it good enough to pull over to the side of the road.  Incredible.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Yowza, glad you're ok!

I order 2 windshields at a time from minispares and hang on to it for a rainy day or sell it and break even.

MPlayle

No way I would "punch a hole" in one with my hand - I don't want my hand shredded.

Years ago while living in Colorado, the Mini in front of me on a club drive had his windshield do the same (but definitely caused by a rock hitting it).  I helped him push out the broken glass after he pulled off the road.  We both were glad we had on gloves as those edges are sharp.  As soon as we started pushing on the glass (trying to keep it in big chunks), the whole mess just fell in.

I plan on trying to get it replaced with a laminated version.

BruceK

Hey Michael I shared your picture with the Texas Dashpot group.  Hope you don't mind.  There was a discussion earlier this year about toughened vs laminated windscreens and some people took the stand that are toughened ones were just as good.  I was arguing that only laminated windscreens should be on our Minis.  I think when people see the picture of your windscreen they'll get the full story.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on July 24, 2020, 01:06:15 PM
No way I would "punch a hole" in one with my hand - I don't want my hand shredded.

Looks like they changed the instructions in later years to just push your hand through the shattered glass.

https://www.howacarworks.com/advanced-driving/what-to-do-if-the-windscreen-shatters.amp
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on July 24, 2020, 01:18:18 PM
Hey Michael I shared your picture with the Texas Dashpot group.  Hope you don't mind.  There was a discussion earlier this year about toughened vs laminated windscreens and some people took the stand that are toughened ones were just as good.  I was arguing that only laminated windscreens should be on our Minis.  I think when people see the picture of your windscreen they'll get the full story.

Hey Bruce,

I don't mind your sharing the picture.  It is for good education.  I agree that whenever possible, laminated glass should be the way to go.  I will be pushing for a laminated replacement.

I was lucky that the windshield did not collapse inward as I was doing about 70 mph when it shattered.