Shopping for a new air compressor

Started by MiniDave, February 20, 2019, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Didn't the same thing happen when I bought my lift?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Was it important to you that it be on wheels?

Is that the dual voltage model, that can run on 120V or 240V?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I edited my earlier post to say it was huskeys I did not care for the sound of not the kobalt sorry for any confusion.
Let us know how tolerable the kobalt is for you. Looks like a good unit I like that they are Campbell and Hausfeld they have great customer service when I have called them.

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on February 23, 2019, 06:53:22 PM
Didn't the same thing happen when I bought my lift?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Was it important to you that it be on wheels?

Is that the dual voltage model, that can run on 120V or 240V?

It is the dual voltage unit. The wheels will be handy till I decide if it stays in the garage or basement. At the moment I am leaning towards the basement because then it will use drier air instead of outside air in the garage. The basement is heated and cooled sorta and has a dehumidifier.

MiniDave

The one thing people didn't seem to like about the Kobalt was the drain is so close to the floor....but an el and a short piece of pipe will fix that.

Are you going to wire it for 240V? twice the voltage, half the amps....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: jeff10049 on February 23, 2019, 10:12:24 PM
I edited my earlier post to say it was huskeys I did not care for the sound of not the kobalt sorry for any confusion.
Let us know how tolerable the kobalt is for you. Looks like a good unit I like that they are Campbell and Hausfeld they have great customer service when I have called them.

Interesting, cause the Huskey is rated 4db quieter than the Kobalt - you're saying that it's the type of noise it makes, not just the volume?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Old compressor I used was very "clangy" sounding.  High pitched and annoying.  Compressor I use now has a low tone. 

94touring

Just did a search on motor rpm on the husky vs kobalt. Husky is 1070 and kobalt is 900. 

MiniDave

On the two compressors I listed above?

It says it take 10 minutes of run time to fill the 60 gallon tank from zero, Ima make damn sure mine has NO leaks, I don't want to have to pump it up every time I want to use it. My little compressor never runs in between uses, it's that tight.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on February 24, 2019, 09:14:15 AM
On the two compressors I listed above?

It says it take 10 minutes of run time to fill the 60 gallon tank from zero, Ima make damn sure mine has NO leaks, I don't want to have to pump it up every time I want to use it. My little compressor never runs in between uses, it's that tight.

Yeah on the two above.  I'm sure that factors in noise as well as motor strain.  Was reading something about full cast blocks being quieter too.  Maybe the heavier Kobalt helps? Dunno. 

I have mine air tight too.  Provided I turn the valve off inside the shop where I have my water trap and splitter for the two hoses I run.  I need to replace the one hose, it's breaking down and leaking.

joakwin

I had a hd electric 110v air compressor that was like 27 gallons of air, I used it with my sand blasting cab and I had a lot of waiting time for it to build back up,
and then my uncle gave me a 40 gal air tank, added it in and it took longer for the compressor to kick on, but it ran a lot longer, I ended up jacking that bad boy up, broken cylinder, it still tried to pump air but had a huge hole in it, I tried to give it away as a broken compressor, and no one cared, so i posted it for $50 and people were lining up to buy it, no idea, ended up getting $40 for it

and saved up for a few months and picked up a lowes 60 gallon set up, its been fine, i have it in a corner next to my garage door, i dont think its that loud, with my garage door closed, and compressor running, i can hear it outside but my neighbors cant hear it run and then inside the house, it can be heard but not as much as my music can be
ive had it for almost 2 years now

right now i only have a single 220 plug in my garage, so when i was cutting up the del slow chassis with my plasma cutter, i got a good amount of time cutting before i had to switch off plugs
im in the process of getting a quote to add on extra breakers to my box for a few extra 110 volt plugs and another 220v plug

im thinking of adding 20amp 110plugs
and probably a 40-50amp 220 plug

but so far, im happy with my lowes 60 gallon set up
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

jeff10049

I did see that it was rated lower db but yes the type of noise more than the volume.
Like Dan said some are just annoying.

I think 70 db of lower rpm low tone noise is far more tolerable than say 65 db of rattly high pitched high rpm noise.

I guess imagine if your Refridgerator made the same volume of noise but instead of a steady hum it was a high pitched squeal or knocking noise.

Or you know that one person in the office full of people who don't talk any louder than anyone else but you can hear them on the other end of the building.

jeff10049

you don't want to be having this talk with your air compressor it won't understand.

MiniDave

Well, they both have a 30 day return policy, I may buy them both, bring em home, wire em up and see which one I like better.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on February 24, 2019, 08:04:23 PM
Well, they both have a 30 day return policy, I may buy them both, bring em home, wire em up and see which one I like better.

Ha, that's an idea!