73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Finishing up some details on the Inno to get ready for our local All Brit show on Sat.

First I had to sort out the brakes, Dan said they were really noisy - I had blasted the rotors and even tho I put in new brake pads they didn't seem to bed in, so since I had a set of new rotors in stock I went ahead and changed them out - rechecked the adjustment in the rear and bled them - that seems to have done the trick - the pedal is right where it should be and they're smooth and quiet.

I'm going to bleed the clutch, it releases right off the floor tho it works just fine, I can get all the gears and nothing grinds, even going into reverse.

I also sorted out the steering wheel, the hub was rubbing on the shroud when I tightened the wheel down, so I had found another Hellbore wheel and swapped out the hub - bonus I got a horn button with the new one, unfortunately there were no "works" under the button, so I'll still have to figure that part out. Still, it steers nicely now.

Lastly, I got to drive it today!!!!! First real drive in it since we got it.....this motor is STRONG! I haven't pushed it yet but it sure pulls like a train even on light throttle. Still lots of fettling to do, need to get a proper alignment and of course put the dash back in place and finish up all the wiring .....but a successful test drive is always a great motivator.  77.gif

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

MiniDave

Both cars made it to the KC All British show on sat. I towed the Inno behind the blue car and about2 miles from the show site I had to drive thru an intersection that was flooded with water, the cars around me sprayed the Inno, my car sprayed the Inno, and it was so hot that by the time I got to the show to unhook it was covered in dry mud, and I got to spend the next half hour cleaning it again! PITA!

I then drove home in my Blue Clubby and got in the Racing Green and drove it down to the show, this time I took a different route and avoided the mess!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Drove the Innocenti over to the alignment shop today, post alignment it really drove well!

The brakes are "interesting"......It has a vacuum brake booster that doesn't seem to do anything at first, then seems to overboost. It just takes a little getting used to..

But boy howdy is this thing a runner! Tons of low end torque and wants to rev like mad! The gearbox is a little noisier than expected, but then I never drove it prior to rebuilding the engine.....it's not bad, just a little whiny.....works perfectly tho.

All in all the nicest most powerful Mini I've ever driven.....almost hate to sell it!

I still have a little electrical work to do to it yet, and some minor tuning on the carbs - seems a little lean coming off idle.

Need to get some more miles on it now.....it's so hard not to put your foot in it, it's so eager to rev and pulls so strongly!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Finishing up some final details - I noticed the temp gauge, tach and fuel gauges weren't working, unfortunately this meant pulling the dash back out. Once there the problem for the temp gauge was easy to diagnose - no power to the gauge - but difficult to trace down. I did finally see where one of the power wires supplying the dash was not plugged in - that did the trick.....one down.

Next up, the tach. Once again tracing the wires I found that the standard wiring harness was set up for a car with points. We're running electronic ignition so it was a simple matter to disengage the black wire for the points and viola, she works.

Last one, the fuel gauge. Loyal readers will remember that the sending unit was a nasty mess, and I sent it off to be rebuilt. It came back 6 months later looking like new, so surely that can't be the issue!!!!

I shorted the gauge at the dash and it went full scale, next I went to the sender and did the same - full scale again so clearly there's no wiring issues. I then put the ohm meter on the sender and using a coat hanger wire pulled the float arm up. Ruhroh. Nada. The meter read full open. I pulled the sender out of the tank (fortunately the level was low enough that I didn't have to drain the tank) and put it on the bench....same results. I used some carb spray on the coil, then some Kroil and now it works, but only on the top end. You can pull it up almost halfway with no reading, then as you go to the top you get correct readings. Going back down the numbers increase as they should till you get to the bottom third, then it immediately goes to open again.

So..........I've sent an email off to the guy that fixed it, I'm sure he's going to say "send it in", but as it took so long last time if he's that backed up again I may try someone else.

More as it happens, but I hate to re-install the dash till I know everything works as it should.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

So close to being done, then a setback......frustrating.  :rolleyes:

It will work from 1/2 tank on up.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The folks that rebuilt the sending unit finally responded to my email of 12/20 and said send it and they would fix it no charge and try to get it back to me in 7-10 days, so off it went in the mail this am.

In the meantime I can button the dash back up as I have everything working there now....only a few little fettles left to sort. I need to figure out how to build some contacts for the horn button - I have a couple of ideas and may need to print something to make it work, but I need to get some accurate measurements first.

Should be ready to go back to Dan by the end of the month, as I'll be gone for about 10 days starting next Wed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So I finally got the sending unit back and put it in the car - after bench testing it to make sure it worked correctly now, which it does - however.........when I plugged it all in I got no reading on the gauge - thinking it was just too low on fuel, I took a coat hanger wire and raised the arm up about half way - the gauge went full scale. Well, that's not right...

After checking everything I could think of I called the sending unit guy who insisted that the coil was the original one, he didn't replace it. We both know the sending unit is working, he suggested it could be the gauge itself so he gave me the name of a guy in Chicago he uses to fix gauges, as he only does the senders.

I called that guy and we both decided it's probably not a bad gauge, but that he might be able to recalibrate it to work correctly, so off it went to Chicago today.

I can't put the dash back in till I have the gauge installed, so I'm at a stop on that - although there are other bits and bobs that still need to be done. I do have all the instruments working now, even the tach! Also all the lights are working correctly......still need to check the heater fan - I bench tested it before it went in of course. I know there are a couple of grounds that need located then the dash is done.

I still need to engineer a way for the horn button to work.....scratching my head on that one so far. Does anyone make a coil spring out of plastic?

More as it happens.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Thanks Paul, but did you look at the specs in the table? these are tiny little things. I was thinking of something that would fit over the nut that holds the wheel on and push against the horn button.....so about 1.5" ID and 2" length.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I saw the ones at the top were pretty small but the list looked fairly long so I thought maybe they might have one big enough. I have never had the steering wheel off my car so had no idea what it looked like inside.

Your description makes sense. Wonder if something could be 3d printed that would work.

cstudep

Is there a reason it can't be a metal spring, I know they make springs for old car horns. Seems like you mentioned somewhere that it couldn't be metal, I read back up through but didn't see it. If it can't be metal due to conductivity, perhaps a metal spring with a 3d printed cap or something that would sit between the spring and whatever surface it needs insulation from?

That place did say you could request a custom spring, but who knows what that would end up costing.

MiniDave

I'm going to study up on it a bit, my first idea was to print a cup that the spring would rest in to keep it insulated, I may be back on that idea.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Just let me know if you want to try something.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So, it's been about 10 days since I sent the Inno fuel gauge off and I hadn't heard anything so I called them up - he said they had it but they were 10 weeks out to even look at it!   :rolleyes:

If he would have told me that when I spoke to him before I took it to the post office I never would have sent it......I told him to just send it back. I want to get this car finished and back to Dan - with twin tanks and 14 gallons capacity, it's unlikely he'll ever run out of fuel on a run and who knows, maybe I can figure it out?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad