Innovate LM2 and EFI

Started by tmsmini, October 16, 2018, 01:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

When I first starting looking at injection for the Mini, all I wanted to do was replicate what Rover had in the MPi, but have the ability to compensate for mild tuning upgrades.
I settled on a MegaSquirt variant as it appeared people in the UK were having some success. One of the issues with the A-Series is the inlet manifold configuration and maintaining balanced fuel delivery to all four cylinders through two inlet ports.

Innovate had their LM2 which allows the monitoring of two ports. It seemed like a good idea. I borrowed a friend's LM1 and it seemed to work well.

I did not have an exhaust at that point with two sensor bungs, so I tested with the tailpipe clamp. I pulled it out yesterday to jog my memory about its use.

The tailpipe measurement is off due to airflow at the exhaust tip. I am not sure this can be rectified. At higher RPMs, it is more accurate.

94touring

I've heard at the tailpipe reads half a point leaner at cruise and almost the same under full load.  If I did the tailpipe wideband I would compare it side by side to my wideband mounted off the Y pipe, to "calibrate".

tmsmini

The other issue I had once I got the injection going and the dual sensors is that the induction setup for monitoring engine speed was very unreliable. I was trying to coordinate the two systems(SC and Innovate) and use RPMs to do that.

In the long run it was easier to adapt/convert the stock MPi narrowband to a wideband. I think the new SC DELTA ECU allow for the monitoring of two lambda sensors which could be useful. SC sell the Spartan brand of lambda controller and it comes with the Rover style cable plug. All the data is in one log/location that way.

I am now using the stock style MPi/SPi exhaust manifold which may not be the best location for a wide band, but it does monitor both inner and outer banks of cylinders.

Their support left something to be desired as well, but eventually I got them to take the unit back and fully check it. Whether they really did anything or not I don't know. I upgraded to the 4.9 sensors as well, so if any one needs 4.2 sensors or Innovate 4.2 cables, let me know.

tmsmini

And the extension cable will not be any use as it is for the Innovate plug, so it is really just a longer cable and not an extension

John Gervais

Quote from: tmsmini on October 16, 2018, 01:31:33 PM
The other issue I had once I got the injection going and the dual sensors is that the induction setup for monitoring engine speed was very unreliable. I was trying to coordinate the two systems(SC and Innovate) and use RPMs to do that.

In the long run it was easier to adapt/convert the stock MPi narrowband to a wideband. I think the new SC DELTA ECU allow for the monitoring of two lambda sensors which could be useful. SC sell the Spartan brand of lambda controller and it comes with the Rover style cable plug. All the data is in one log/location that way.

I am now using the stock style MPi/SPi exhaust manifold which may not be the best location for a wide band, but it does monitor both inner and outer banks of cylinders.

Their support left something to be desired as well, but eventually I got them to take the unit back and fully check it. Whether they really did anything or not I don't know. I upgraded to the 4.9 sensors as well, so if any one needs 4.2 sensors or Innovate 4.2 cables, let me know.

My MTX-L has been acting up and I suspect that the sensor has had too much abuse - I keep getting an E8 error message whenever the engine has run lean on overrun.  I've tried recalibrating, but to no avail.

Have you still got the 4.2 sensors available?  Or, how did you upgrade to the 4.9 version?

- Pave the Bay -

tmsmini

New cables, new sensors and an upgrade of the firmware was all that was needed.
I am pretty sure I have the old ones still.

John Gervais

I'd sure appreciate it if you could check - if you're not going to use them, of course (and could also use a bung & plug if you've got 'em, mild steel - I'm sure you've got all sorts of exciting, excess parts hanging about!).  I might need to move the sensor further downstream to keep it a bit cooler. 

I was just on the Innovate website - wow, a lot has changed since I installed the gauge.  I could probably do a software upgrade, if I could find someone who could lend a laptop to me - something I've never owned, but I suppose it could be practical...  I may actually know someone who might have a surplus laptop; I'll have to ask.  Where did I put that lottery ticket???
- Pave the Bay -

tmsmini

I will check today. I am sure they are in one of my bins of Mini stuff. And yes I have accumulated lots of stuff over the years.

5/2- still looking...

tmsmini

Found them, but I no longer have any way to test them as once I updated the software I cannot go back.

Not sure if I have a current email

John Gervais

Thanks for finding them!  I can't remember your E-mail address either - it's been a while...

I can functionally 'test' them by plugging them in, calibrating in air and then seeing if they're working or not.  Also, I'd probably have good reason to assume that they're good - you'd kept them for a reason rather than pitching them, so there's likely something functional there.

An E-mail address:  john.gervais@gmail.com
- Pave the Bay -

tmsmini

Ok, I found the email on my phone.
Will touch base.

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -