What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

MiniDave

Yes, pop rivets or even sheet metal screws will work, there's very little load on it. Or if you want something a little stronger use riv-nuts and machine screws
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Did some work on the blue Van today - troubleshooting some electrical gremlins.

1)  Tracked down the cause of the hazard flasher not working - blown fuse.  Then had to track down why it kept blowing fuses - the dome light had been wired incorrectly, resulting in the power going straight to ground.  The hazards and dome light share the same power circuit and inline fuse.
2) Found one tail light not working after upgrading the bulbs to LEDs.  This turned out to be a poor ground issue from the tail light housing to the body.  The housing normally grounds via the mounting studs/nuts.  When the Van was modified with the side windows and repainted, they did not clean paint from spots under the nuts for making a ground.  Scraped the paint away from under were the nuts secure the housing to the body and the tail light works nice and bright again.
3) Replaced the dash light for the Ignition/Alternator charging.  The lamp holder was missing the prongs that hold it into the back of the instrument housing, so it kept falling out the back.  I had a matching spare left over from a past project, so spliced that in as a replacement.

I still have a really big piece of the grey carpet I used for the boot board and cut a section of that for Bruce to use on the rear parcel shelf of his Honda Beat.

LarryLebel

I replaced the clutch pedal pad on my Traveller S.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Intended to finish some paint work on a car today but instead was unpleasantly surprised by a backed up sewer line, which in turn caused a hell of a mess in the shop bathroom.  The floors were some kind of faux wood linoleum which I pulled out.  The base boards can be saved but the vanity which was already pretty beat up wasn't worth me cleaning up.  The sink was small in it anyway.  I have some additional painting left to do, but this is it basically done.  I'll probably build a little counter beside the sink since there's room, or maybe just get a tool cart to sit there. 

Willie_B

Willie_B

Finally done (I hope) with the woody. Just need some driving time, the owner can do that. Now back to my mini and moke.

MiniDave

You finally got the brakes sorted?

How did it run/drive? probably like a Mini, eh?  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Changing the front rubber hoses made the difference. Even though they did not look real bad.

Have not driven it hard or fast as the tires on it are new 20 year old tires. Been inside their garage on the car that long.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I am just getting my 79 Clubman Estate ready to ship to its new owner and he wants the old 10 inch original wheels/tires and hubcaps, the rear tires and the spare are original 43 years old Michelin XZX with no cracking or age related issues and still hold air.
I shipped it from the UK in 2011 with an MOT and at that time those tires were fitted still at 32 years old.

MiniDave

The Michelins on my old E-Type that I sold a few years ago were from the 80's, I told the new owner the first thing they should do is get new tires!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Trying to sort some fuel lines as when I changed the throttle body and manifold, the old ones were a little short.
It is 94 in the garage, so I won’t last long.

MiniDave

Wow! 94*?

It's only in the 70's here but the humidity is about a million percent as it's been raining for a couple of days now and it's about ready to start up again.....a box fan set on a chair is doing OK for me so far, but when it gets into the 80's with this humidity the A/C goes on in my shop!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

One of the window brackets fell off, so I decided to use the opportunity to rebuild the window channel sweeps while I had it all apart. Been wanting to do this for a while. Of course on the Elf these are solid unobtanium parts, so I figured I would try to replace the "fuzzies" and keep the stainless trim pieces. I realized that one of my outer sweeps was a generic replacement and not the real deal, but luckily I happen to have some spare doors with the trim intact (until now) so I have some donor parts. I found the fuzzy pieces at a US classic restoration place. I think they are old Cadillac parts. The old ones were stapled in place, and no way I could figure out how to reproduce that, so I'm using some modern technology and gluing them in. I'm on the fourth one now and I think I've finally figured out a good method to do it. I've only got enough clamps to do one at a time. Hopefully that holds up. Got the outside ones in and just finishing up the inner ones. I also replaced a couple of the broken off upper stainless window trim rivets since that had to come off to get the outer sweeps off. Got the window back in and cleaned up and regreased the winder and got that going up and down nice. Also fixed the door lock while it was apart, and redid the moisture liner before I put the door panels back on. These things sure tend to snowball once you get started.

Willie_B

Getting creative. That's what is required nowadays. Looks good.

MiniDave

That turned out really well!  77.gif

I completely understand about project creep, the old "while I'm in there...."   ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: MiniDave on May 26, 2022, 07:51:31 AM
That turned out really well!  77.gif

I completely understand about project creep, the old "while I'm in there...."   ::) ;D

AND THEN..... I had to start over when the window track fix that I did didn't hold and the window fell out again after I had everything put back together. Oh, well. I took a look at my donor doors and realized that the window was in better shape than the one on my car, so I swapped the whole window over, then re-attached the trim for the second time. At least I learned that the inner sweep goes on easier if you put it on first, then the outer one. It always goes together faster the second or third time anyway.
All better now. Just have to put the moisture barrier back in AGAIN and button it back up.

Willie_B

Going to play with this on the woody. Being as it still has points.

MiniDave

My Sun tach dwell meter battery died and they don't make one anything like it anymore, but then I convert every car I can to pointless contacts

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on June 09, 2022, 04:40:36 PM
Going to play with this on the woody. Being as it still has points.

60 degrees on the dwell if I remember correctly Brad.

Willie_B

Willie_B

Willie_B

Lift came in handy unloading a new washing machine today.