Don's Vtec Pup

Started by MiniDave, June 19, 2018, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Short update on the Pup, while the engine steadies I built worked perfectly to cure the engine NVH, they don't control the motion of the engine correctly. The problem is I stopped the top of the engine from rotating back and forth, but the big soft stock motor mounts allow the bottom of the engine to swing, so I'll have to engineer a different one for the fore/aft motion at the bottom of the engine.

I already know how I'm going to build it, and I think that will do it once and for all. Just need to get the Bugeye off the lift and out of the shop so I can get the Pup back in. In the meantime Don is absolutely loving the Pup now, he says it's like a completely different car and he's extremely happy with our work. On top of that, it hasn't leaked a drop of oil since we finished it.  4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I built the lower engine steady for the Pup, it took a LOT of engineering and all afternoon today but once done it worked a treat. We put the regular rubber bushes in and it still had a bit of movement so we changed those out to the poly bushes and now it doesn't move one whit. I was concerned that he might have some NVH with those but after a short drive around the block he said it was perfect. Absolutely no movement and no more NVH. He says the car is a dream to drive now compared to before now with the taller diff ratio and all the buzzes and vibes gone and he loves it again....

RESULT! as Edd and Ant would say......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Glad to hear your improvements, were improvements.   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I can't wait to drive it, but we're supposed to have rain till Sunday....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm almost ready to race him. 

MiniDave

Ha! Maybe at Dyno Day? Jesse's shop is kinda out in the country.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well placed another small order of must needed parts today.   Back at day Job #1 and looking like I have 9 working days to get it on the road by then.  I can of course always paint the extras later too.  Want to get some mileage on it for break prior to the dyno, and that's doable.  I guess this coming week I should toss in the shifter and get my axles in there so it turns some rubber.  I can toss enough glass in temporarily to keep my headliner from getting abused by wind. 

MiniDave

Don's ready to give you a run....but I really doubt you can beat his Pup after I drove it today - sucker runs strong! With your short gears you'll be in 4th before he gets out of second!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

I guess this will have to wait till the April Restoration Mini anniversary meet up, but having driven both now I have to say it's going to be a close race - at least to 100 mph, where he still has plenty of legs and you'll be out of rpms. So - make it a 0-100 race!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Having been 100 in mine, I don't want to go faster!   Butt dyno test on my wheels tomorrow!

MiniDave

Don got the Pup out of winter slumber and brought it by so I could finish the last engine steady - when I first built it the auto lens in my helmet died so I was welding blind....

I went back over the welds, gave it a shot of paint and Don popped it back in the Pup.

He also swapped his good tires on so he's ready for the trip to Tulsa next week!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

mini engine mount by joa kwin, on Flickr

here's how I did my rear engine steady, it bolts to the back of the block, with two bolts
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

AcesLow

Did MiniTec modify a mini pickup tank or does it have a fuel cell?

MiniDave

The D series doesn't need a real high pressure fuel pump, it has a standard Mini tank with a 75 psi pump and a return line that was plumbed thru the sender plate

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After the problems he had with overheating on the Pup this summer, and faced with the possibility of having to replace the motor, Don decided he needed a lift - plus it would make life easier for all the maintenance on all of his LBC's so he bit the bullet and bought a MaxJax lift. They sell two versions of this lift, one with manual safeties, where you put a pin in a hole - that one only has two lift positions. The other has automatic safeties much like any two post lift, and has 7 lock positions - that's the one he bought. He got the install done and put the Pup on the lift and raised it up.....and there it stuck.

I went over today to see if I could help at least get it down again, and found that he hadn't greased the slides - we were able to get it up higher and grease below it, and with judicious use of a big crowbar managed to get it down again, that way he could grease the upper areas. We then raised it up again and let it down repeatedly till it started to move smoothly. Job done and nothing damaged!  77.gif

All the way up it's 45" to the bottom of the arms, which allows you to sit on a roll around seat and do pretty much anything under the car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Looks real nice. Is it bolted to the floor?

MiniDave

Yes, you set anchors in the floor and bolt the stands down, but they have wheels and if you remove a few bolts you can roll them aside so they don't take up any room.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Nice lift.
It amazes me how i worked on cars so long without mine but of course i was a lot younger, just having it the right height when working under the bonnet so as not to bend over so much is a blessing.