Grumpy man rant

Started by BruceK, March 16, 2018, 10:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

What is wrong with some people?   They keep saying "It's going to be" instead of the much clearer "It's".    WTF ?!   "It's going to be $5.63".    "It's going to be the blue house after the white one".    It's not like they are talking about the future – they are not saying it's going to be cloudy tomorrow.   They are talking in the present   But they somehow have developed some sort of speech affliction of having to say the phrase "it's going to be...." before stating a fact. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

BruceK

That guy is pretty funny.  :D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

See you feel less grumpy now lol.

BruceK

If it is now Monday and I tell you about a meeting "next Wednesday", how far away is that to you?     

Because if you somehow think it is two days away (i.e. the next Wednesday to be encountered on a sequence as time flows) rather than specifically the Wednesday of next week, then you might be an idiot.

It shouldn't have to be spelled out, but to be clear:

next Wednesday = next week

this Wednesday = this week

Argh!!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I have a rant:

So I'm in line check airman ground school (best of the best).  Day 1 I wear jeans and sneakers with a nice button up shirt. Everyone else, all 4 of them, are wearing nicer clothes. The instructor text me last night to wear slacks.  I don't have any with me, cause I was pulled mid trip to do this, so I'm in my uniform today. This morning come down all dressed up and everyone else is wearing jeans. One dude in a plain white t shirt. Love it. 

Bahowe1

I'm pretty sure you'll see another text tonight... he'll probably be asking you for a date dressed like that!  Ha!

MiniDave

Reminds me of that Clint Eastwood movie where he was the DI, each day if the grunts didn't wear the same T-Shirt as him they had to go without on that days exercise runs.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Dave, I lived it - went through officer candidate school and we were always 'wrong'.  Tons o'fun...

As for the 'grumpy' issue concerning non-committal (spineless/soft) and nebulous speech, and as a now more or less a spectator to my beloved American culture, I see many linguistic anomalies and 'perverse' trends regarding speech and language.  New, made-up (nonsense) pronouns removing 'he' 'she' or 'it', prohibitions on common words; words containing the word 'man' or 'men' in favor of fabricated terms incorporating 'person' or 'human' really distress me.  The so-called 'white privilege' crap, and where 'mankind' becomes 'human kind' or 'person kind' - yeah, I'm grumpy, sour, intolerant and mean.
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on March 26, 2018, 07:18:06 AM
If it is now Monday and I tell you about a meeting "next Wednesday", how far away is that to you?     

Because if you somehow think it is two days away (i.e. the next Wednesday to be encountered on a sequence as time flows) rather than specifically the Wednesday of next week, then you might be an idiot.

It shouldn't have to be spelled out, but to be clear:

next Wednesday = next week

this Wednesday = this week

Argh!!

I think every John Landis movie secretly knows this issue.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

So, today is the first day of Daylight Saving Time and I'm hearing all the usual complaints that pop up every time each year when it launches: Daylight Saving Time messes with people's life balance. It is soooo hard it is to adjust to! People lose a whole hour of sleep!  It causes increased heart attacks!  It causes more traffic accidents until people adjust to it!  Blah, blah, blah. 

Whether or not you agree with the idea of government-mandated DST, it happens and I've got some questions: just how ^&#@$ delicate are these a-holes that can't adjust to it?   Are their personal schedules so highly regimented, so unchanging and steadfast that a mere one hour time shift throws their little worlds upside down?  Have they never ever traveled to a different time zone and had to adjust? (Heaven forbid cross-country or international travel with multiple time zone changes!! The Horror!!!!)  Have they never had their work schedules change?  Do they keep the same personal schedule on weekends and vacations so as to not disrupt any delicate balance?! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Nope, it's just the state of the nation.  Don't do anything. Don't take responsibility. Whine, really really loud and on every platform you can.  The nation has become a state of whiners. I just don't listen anymore. Or laugh and roll on.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

I wake up every morning at 5:50 to head out and go for a 2-3 mile walk before we start our day.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow, it will feel like 4:50, and 5:50 already sucks enough.

If you are waking up at 7 or 8 to go to work at 8 or 9 then you have no right to complain.

Waking up in the 4:00 hour of the morning just plain sucks and yes my delicate little ass will take all week to adjust to this.

Then again, I typically only sleep about 4-6 hours a night, because I am delicate.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gr8kornholio

Yea they should move it back a day cause you don't lose the sleep Saturday night, you lose it Sunday cause you end up going to bed late. Or move to AZ.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I was up at 5/4 this morning.  I'm going till midnight today. Not my favorite.

jeff10049

Im not a fan of it why not move it a half hour and leave it whats a half hour? 

As for the whiner's yea whatever so go to bed an hour early does it suck sure but still if you had to get up an hour early for something you really wanted to do you would so stfu and get over it.

I am honestly so busy and use my phone for an alarm it updates itself that I seriously didn't even notice a thing just another day. I realized it when the clocks at the shop were off. I was like oh yeah that happened that's stupid.

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on March 11, 2019, 10:59:40 PM
Im not a fan of it why not move it a half hour and leave it whats a half hour? 

As for the whiner's yea whatever so go to bed an hour early does it suck sure but still if you had to get up an hour early for something you really wanted to do you would so stfu and get over it.

I am honestly so busy and use my phone for an alarm it updates itself that I seriously didn't even notice a thing just another day. I realized it when the clocks at the shop were off. I was like oh yeah that happened that's stupid.

Yes, but now it is light out later and I found myself out in the yard taking care of things until dark.  I did not eat dinner until 8PM last night.  Forced myself to hit the bed at 11 pm.

Happy to report I am already adjusted, I woke up before the 5:50 alarm this morning.

I wish we could follow Arizona and just not change the time. I saw lets leave it where it is now.  I like lighter evenings.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

When some clerk wants your phone number for business reasons, why the fu*k do they say "Can I get a good phone number?"   

Good? 

It's not like I'm some hot girl at a club passing out fake phone numbers to sleazy guys hitting on me.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Sure.....913-867-5309, good anytime!

Tommy Tutone says so!   ;D ;D ;D

Funny thing is, no one ever says "no, you can't have my phone number", they just give it to them.....we're so conditioned.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I always give crap numbers.  Unless I need them to have it.

94touring

BruceK

My brake lights quit working today.  Fortunately Michael was following behind me and noticed when the brakes lights suddenly stopped lighting up.

This evening I traced the problem to the brake switch itself.  So I figured I'd order a replacement one and also a second one to have in my parts inventory.  I usually don't buy anything from the US Mini parts places, but I decided to try MiniMania because I didn't have a need for more stuff at this time. (I.e. no need to place a big order from one of the UK suppliers).

MiniMania had the switches priced at $5.30 each. Cool.  Fair price.  So I place an order for two - that's $10.60 worth of parts.

But MM, lovely place that it is, tacked on some additional charges.  Seriously?   Not only $10.55 for slow-ass  8 business day shipping, but a bogus $5.00 for "handling", and an even more bogus $0.40 for "surcharge - import freight cost". 

I realize I'm spoiled with Amazon and the overnight  "free shipping", but MM's shipping/handling/surcharges are ridiculous.  I'll be lucky if this shows up within three weeks after I've paid 150% more than the item's cost just to get them to me.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I haven't ordered anything from the "local" Mini parts suppliers in a while, but Mania would be at the absolute bottom of the list if I did.....

I use 7Enterprises, British Parts Northwest (great bunch of guys who seem to know their LBC's) and Moss now for US based stuff.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

The very reasso I avoided ordering from MM unless as last resort.

BruceK

Yeah, sometimes customer service just isn't.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S