The Restoration-Mini 10 year anniversary BBQ April 12-14 2019

Started by 94touring, March 11, 2018, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Here's the dashcam video of the crazy driver.  Most of the action happened right in front of Michael, and I was filming from a distance behind him. 

Basically I am doing about 70 mph, and a Chrysler Crossfire passes me on the left and begins to pull into my lane ahead of me.  Before the Chrysler is even out of the left lane a Buick Lacrosse blows past it, then quickly passes Michael in his Jeep towing his Moke.  The Buick then encounters two pickup trucks, one in each of the lanes in front of Michael.  Only then did the Buick seem to realize it could not fit between the pickups and it slams on the brakes, loses control and swerves rapidly left and right in true tank slapper fashion. Then it spins out onto the right shoulder and strikes a highway sign.  I've looked frame by frame and as I was passing the spun out Buick and its reverse lights are already on!  It it backed out into traffic just after I got by it.    Whew!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You got it now! That guy was really moving when he went by you!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I ended up driving all the way through to San Antonio and made it home about 10:00pm.  Just now catching up on a few things before bed.

The car that spun out just blew right past me and barely missed ramming both pickups in the rear - by inches at most.  The driver had to really stomp the brakes such that the rear almost left the ground.  Then he/she fish-tailed while sliding and spun out directly in front of me.  I just held straight, applied steady brakes to keep my rig under control and prepared to t-bone the idiot.  I got lucky in that he spun/slid on over and off the road.

The rest of the drive home was uneventful.

I'll unload the Moke from the trailer in the morning.

MiniDave

Glad everyone made it home safely (except Brad who's out playing in his camper van  77.gif )

My back is still killing me so I'm off to the Doc for more pills or something....damn I hate getting older!  22.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

amanley

Glad everyone made it home safely. Me and my family really enjoyed coming out to meet you all and messing with the cars. Thank you Dan for your hospitality, hosting and helping me out. Thank you to the rest of you for your help and with not only my '78 but also my little ones running and crawling around the shop. 4.gif

I look forward to the next get together, hopefully sooner than a year from now.   77.gif
1978 BL mini 1000
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW
2013 MINI Countryman All4

94touring

We were able to get your air/fuel dialed in, a new needle put in, throttle cable lingage fixed, timing set, coolant flushed, new coil, cap, arm, plug wires, and a 2nd hand alloy radiator that was perfectly fine along with new lower hose installed.  Next up is getting the wobbles taken care of in the suspension.

amanley

exactly right! We did a lot! Truly appreciative. I discovered last night that two freeze plugs were now leaking. I guess I maybe got the insides a little too clean thus creating an escape for some coolant.

So freeze plugs and the wobbles next.

I'll prob start a post (like Susan's and Don's) soon detailing some of what has been done for those that are interested.
1978 BL mini 1000
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW
2013 MINI Countryman All4

MiniDave

Definitely start a thread on your car, sometimes it's fun to go back much later and see how far you've come with your car. Always post lots of pics - we like pics!

We had great fun meeting you and your family, the kids are cute as can be!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Got in late Thursday afternoon. Was a good trip back.

MPlayle

Except for the people, the row of cars looks like a set of the tiny toy cars you would find in an elaborate train set diorama/model.