Previous topic - Next topic

pbraun

Congrats!!!  Looking good!!!!!!!!!!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Willie_B

Should look even better when I get it outside in the sun.

BruceK

Pix and video coming soon I hope!   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Hope this isn't like the guy who built a boat in his basement but then couldn't get it out without tearing down the house!   8.gif :-[ ::)

(nah, I know he has a garage door so he can drive it right out!)  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The moke is officially licensed for the road. The YOM tag is chained in the DMV system. That means the new issued plate just has to be in the vehicle and does not need to be in sight.  I can have the 1966 tag mounted in back.

MiniDave

Has the yard dried up enough to drive it out yet?

Still waiting on that first road test video!   77.gif

Are the gold wheels going to stay on it?

Next week Clancy will be in your area picking up a Mini a local guy bought from there....I haven't seen any what it is yet.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I will probably be swapping the gold wheels between the moke and mini. I have always liked Cosmic wheels.

Willie_B

It must be getting close to have a bonnet on it. Got the prop rod idea from Peter Braun.

Willie_B

After disappointment yesterday with a weak battery the moke started just fine this morning. Out of the basement, across the yard and out there. Short fix it list so far. Main one being is an oil leak at rear of the gauge.  The alignment is good enough for around the neighborhood for now. My tow dolly should be back in a week. By then I should be ready to take it to the shop. Not near as comfortable as a mini.

Tim

That prop rod is a great idea!  What length did you make it - from bend to bend?  And how long are the bent bits?

Thanks,
Tim.

MiniDave

My biggest problem driving Clancy's Moke was not being able to get the seat back far enough to get comfortable.....I wouldn't want to drive one very far. They're perfect for what they were intended - beach cars, island cars and so on. Were you able to locate yours where it's comfortable on your knees?

I know guys have driven them long distances - I think there's a club in Australia that Mokes all over the country for weeks at a time - and guys from Florida have driven up to the CMU events in Va and such, but I prefer my Mini too.

Congrats on getting it out of the basement!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The prop rod is 22" between bends. But you want to figure out what hood angle you want then make it to fit. The bottom end bend is not 90 degrees but what it needed to work. There is a small hole in the grille end to put a clip thru to hold it all together. The plastic holder part is just a generic part I got at the auto parts store. The metal "C" channel mount is just the right width to share to load to the front panel so it is not all trying to twist just the upper lip.

Willie_B

You are right Dave. After just a few minutes driving my right ankle started to ache and cramp. My seat is all the way back it will go. May need to look into ways to lower and move it back more. That will mean cutting the seat base mount off to shorten that area then weld on a rail that will hang out the front to be able to push the seat backwards some.

jedduh01

Another big adjustment i make sure with the Moke.. is that the Gas pedal isn't too HIGH... where you have to really crank your ankle up to reach the gas pedal.

Theres a small bracket on the firewall that stops the pedal from pivoting up too far... which also should have a small rubber buffer on it too.  with all in place it 'lower's the relative height o the pedal. ( I added a piece of rubber hose to the stopper) to help lower the pedal height too. Dont be afraid to bend the pedal lower too = It will still give full throttle open or close enough.

Great you got it out ! sorting out the small things to sort! 

Scargo

I moved the front seats of my Moke back four inches by fabricating new brackets that attach the seats to the floor. It made a world of difference up front and there's still plenty of rear seat legroom.

pbraun

Quote from: Scargo on July 20, 2022, 05:52:22 AM
I moved the front seats of my Moke back four inches by fabricating new brackets that attach the seats to the floor. It made a world of difference up front and there's still plenty of rear seat legroom.

Sounds interesting, H,  can you post some photos?  I am not a small guy and have experienced these same problems ....
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Scargo

Peter,

I'm out of town right now but once I return home, I'll shoot a couple of photos of the bracket installation. Unfortunately I did not take photo's of the brackets before I installed them, so it may be a little bit difficult to get the point across in the photos. Therefore, I will first try to explain what I came up with.

The brackets are made up from 1.25" x 1.25" x 1/8" thick angle iron. I seem to recall that I cut them to 16" in length, but I will measure them.

I had to trim the vertical legs down to 1/2" in height for their entire length in order to clear the side of the seat that runs directly above the bracket.

The front of the bracket mounts up on the top of the cross member, where the old bracket bolted up.

The brackets extend far enough to the rear to where I could relocate the seat approximately 3.5" further back (in lieu of the 4" as previously stated).

Now the fun part: I need someone here to instruct me how to load photographs so they don't turn sideways when I post them on this site. You see, I had that experience a couple of years ago, and I never learned what I was doing wrong or what I needed to do to correct the problem. I will take the photo's using my iPhone and will most likely transfer then to my laptop before posting them here ....HELP !!!

Willie_B

Quote from: Scargo on July 22, 2022, 05:49:29 AM

Now the fun part: I need someone here to instruct me how to load photographs so they don't turn sideways when I post them on this site. You see, I had that experience a couple of years ago, and I never learned what I was doing wrong or what I needed to do to correct the problem. I will take the photo's using my iPhone and will most likely transfer then to my laptop before posting them here ....HELP !!!

What works for me is to take photos with my phone sideways. Then when I post them they are correct.

94touring

Get this app.  When you upload a pic to it you will immediately seevhow it's oriented.  If it's sideways just rotate and save.

Scargo

Thank you, it seems I was able to load the photo's in the proper orientation without issue.

Peter ... go back up a couple of posts and you'll see them. The brackets are 16" long, in lieu of 14" as stated above. I've gone back and corrected that in the previous post.

If you have any questions, let me know.

G67mcs

As H mentioned, still plenty of room in the the rear seats as I rode in the back up at MME.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

Willie_B

I was thinking something like that. Did you drill an extra hole in the crossmember for the front seat bolt?

Scargo

No, I did not have to drill any holes in the front cross member.

Willie_B

Just happened to notice the other day that the next Caffeine & Octane event on Aug 7 will have British cars in the special display area. But you have to apply in advance for entry. So on the last day to apply I sent it in. Found out today that I got in. Time to speed up test drives and all to be ready. Alignment scheduled for Wednesday. I will be using the tow dolly because not enough driving time on it yet to feel good about it yet. This will be the first showing of the moke. Looking forward to it.

BruceK

Sounds like fun.  Almost certainly you will be the only Moke there.  Many, many questions will come your way! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara